Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

1 members and 3,252 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
  • 02-27-2009, 12:38 AM
    snakeguy101
    Re: DIY Home-made "realistic" Hides
    can you use this with rocks
  • 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM
    Bruce Whitehead
    I may be the only dissenter... i tried them. Made 3... used one.

Sealed it, did everything.

It cracked, got wet, turned to mush. Really was not comfortable finding my snake sitting in the mess of chemicals and sludge. :(

bruce
  • 02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
    snakeguy101
    also what about great stuff
    i had a can explode and it left a huge mound of great stuff, so i decided to make it a hide. so i was wondering if i could use that in the oven
  • 02-27-2009, 10:24 PM
    Camel413
    I had the same thing as Bruce, mine got all soggy so we removed them. I do really like them for my bearded dragons. In dry climates they work great, with the dragons they work as a hide or as a basking spot.
  • 03-13-2009, 09:26 PM
    mechnut450
    made 2 so far and after baking a na hour the outside alright but the inside is still soft some i think between the oil and the fact the were sealed they didn't bake as well I am gonigo t rebake them some tomorrow after I remove the second fro mthe mold. and allow the inside ot bake harder. I will then try one in the cages and see how it holds up to the humidty of my tubs. and if they fail the other will become a asf chew toy ( won't seal it until I see how the other does. and i will go from there. I made one out of scuplty type clay and the nsake loves it lol but i tihnk i made the wall too thin cause itbeen chipping at the bottom a lot ..
  • 03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
    OhBalls
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    made 2 so far and after baking a na hour the outside alright but the inside is still soft some i think between the oil and the fact the were sealed they didn't bake as well I am gonigo t rebake them some tomorrow after I remove the second fro mthe mold. and allow the inside ot bake harder. I will then try one in the cages and see how it holds up to the humidty of my tubs. and if they fail the other will become a asf chew toy ( won't seal it until I see how the other does. and i will go from there. I made one out of scuplty type clay and the nsake loves it lol but i tihnk i made the wall too thin cause itbeen chipping at the bottom a lot ..

um, they are supposed to be sealed AFTER baking :)
  • 03-17-2009, 11:32 PM
    pitbulls4me
    I have had these for oh I dont know about a month or so... and I took the hides out tonight to look at them and one was all swollen and smelled bad. I think that is why my snake had always been in his other hide (not too wierd since his other hide is on his warm side and thats where he spends most of his time anyways). I am pretty sure this is my error in not sealing the dough well enough. Just thought I would share...
  • 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM
    Clear
    I tried to make some, they didnt last very long and got mushy even after sealing them. :(
  • 03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
    grammie
    I was sitting here today and heard a loud pop, the tank 5' from me had one of these hides (she really loved it too) and it cracked in 3 pieces. :(
  • 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
    temec
    i just put mine into the oven.. i love this idea... thanks.. and my leo bob thanks you too