Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,728

6 members and 2,722 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
  • 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM
    EdShal
    Re: A Lesson in Basic Genetics
    Added to favourite & gave 5-stars..
  • 01-27-2009, 04:08 AM
    t-Roy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Layman’s Crash Course in Ball Python Genetics

What about all those %’s people talk about?

When dealing with Het x Normal and Het x Het breeding pairs, all the Normal-looking offspring have a chance of being Het, but you can’t tell by looking whether or not it has the gene. In a Het x Normal pairing…each offspring has a statistical 50% chance of carrying the gene, so it is called “50% Het”. In a Het x Het pairing, all normal babies have a 66% chance of carrying the recessive gene and that’s where the “66% Het” term comes from.

Great info. Thank you for posting it to help newbies like me.

So I was hoping to find my answers here in this section but I didn't. So this is what Im curious about related to this subject:

%50 x %50
    %50 x %66
    %50 x %100

%66 x %66,
    %66 x %100

Are they possible hets with just percentage that have to be mathematically figured out?

And I would logically assume that a visual morph x with any % het would make %100 het, if not, visual morph.

Please enlighten me. Thank you. :)
  • 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
    stevenkeogh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by t-Roy View Post
    Great info. Thank you for posting it to help newbies like me.

So I was hoping to find my answers here in this section but I didn't. So this is what Im curious about related to this subject:

%50 x %50
    %50 x %66
    %50 x %100

%66 x %66,
    %66 x %100

Are they possible hets with just percentage that have to be mathematically figured out?

And I would logically assume that a visual morph x with any % het would make %100 het, if not, visual morph.

Please enlighten me. Thank you. :)

All of the pairings that you mentioned apart from the 100% het involved breedings would have to be considered normal offspring.
    You can't breed 2 50% together and produce all normal looking babies and still consider them possible hets in regards to the clutch.
    You will need further breeding trials to establish if any of the parents are in fact heterozygous animals.
    50% simply means that one parent was het.
    66% means that both parents were het but the baby is normal in appearance.
    Since if you had 4 eggs, you have a 1 in 4 chance of producing a homozygous animal. Leaving you with 3 eggs, all normal appearing and a 2 out of 3 chance for the gene to have passed on. (66%)
    Do yourself a favour and get yourself a 100% het for the trait if you want to start proving out possible hets.
    Better yet, if all of the possible hets are for the same morph then buy the visual homozygous animal and have a 50% chance at producing visual morphs if the parent turns out to be a het.
    -Steven
  • 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
    TylerxToxic
    CO-DOMINANT:
    Butter – Blue Eyed Leucistic
    Cinny – Super Cinny

What do the second names mean? like I know their morphs and all but is it just a different name or something? or what?
  • 04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
    frankykeno
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerxToxic View Post
    CO-DOMINANT:
    Butter – Blue Eyed Leucistic
    Cinny – Super Cinny

What do the second names mean? like I know their morphs and all but is it just a different name or something? or what?

Tyler this is more of an information thread. Specific questions you might have are likely going to get more responses if you start your own thread asking about what you need to know. :)
  • 05-30-2009, 09:57 PM
    Crazy4Herps
    Thank you so much! This thread has helped me tons, as a total newbie to genetics (and one who is looking to breed :D)!
  • 06-04-2009, 10:08 PM
    malt_geckos
    That really helped a ton with knowing which morphs are recessive, dom and codom. Thanks a bunch!!!! :)
  • 06-23-2009, 11:33 PM
    Qetu
    that was very informative and it really helped me understand the lingo on these forums alot better. im new to the herp world and im growing very strongly attached. being more "in the know" is just making my desire for this hobby that much more intense XD
    great job, i learned alot :bow:
  • 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
    luna13
    awesome, amazing.....so let me ask you this mojave x mojave = leucistic
  • 09-03-2009, 03:21 AM
    RuggedRanger
    This is Great!! is there a printable or pdf version of it?

Thanks
    Travis