Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,069

1 members and 2,068 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,155
Threads: 248,596
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Upstream Morphs

Roll Call for Ohioans

Printable View

• 06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
    Wh00h0069
    Roll Call for Ohioans
    I'm from Middletown, which is right between Cincinnati and Dayton.
  • 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
    BPelizabeth
    Re: Roll Call for Ohioans
    Im going to Ashtabula and Oak Harbor in 2 days...yeah....

I love Ohio!!

Hey question for you...there is a reptile show coming up in Columbus. Have you been to it....any good?
  • 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
    Wh00h0069
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    Im going to Ashtabula and Oak Harbor in 2 days...yeah....

I love Ohio!!

Hey question for you...there is a reptile show coming up in Columbus. Have you been to it....any good?

I haven't been to the Columbus show in over a year, but I have heard that it has been pretty good lately. I am planning on going to the next one, which is Saturday the 19th. They actually recently changed locations, but it is still in Columbus.
  • 06-07-2010, 02:56 PM
    ladywhipple02
    I'm in Cincinnati... at the moment, anyway!

I lived in Columbus for awhile when I was in college (go Buckeyes!!!!). Went to the show there quite a bit when I was up there. It was kinda small, but always had some good people and good choices there, especially during the summer months when breeders can travel more.
  • 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
    koloo921
    I am from Clinton, Ohio. About 20 miles south of Akron. I have been to the Columbus show! Its pretty good, but I always have more luck at the Cleveland one.
  • 06-07-2010, 05:21 PM
    RR - Mackenzie
    I'm from Middletown, Ohio, too!
  • 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
    BPelizabeth
    we should plan to say hi to each other......I am thinking about driving downto that show while in Oak Harbor.
  • 06-07-2010, 07:54 PM
    cschneider
    I'm a little north of Cincinnati. I went to the columbus show last month. It was pretty small, but they had some nice animals. I picked up a nice bee and pastel and also bought a rack. I want to go again but I don't know if I'm capable of being in a room with so many BPs and not buy one lol.
  • 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
    BPelizabeth
    Good to hear...yea I thought I would check it out...sounds like some fun. I am pretty limited as I am driving my car and it is already fairly packed. Plus if I come home after a month of being gone with another animal...my hubby is likely to divorce me. :P He is not only staying home and taking care of my stuff...he is also taking care of some of our friends reptiles while they are gone. LOL....Im already in a little trouble....:P:rofl:
  • 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
    catawhat75
    I'm from Columbus. The Columbus show is decent, although I have never been to another show so I really have nothing to compare it to. I know they just moved it to a new location so I haven't checked it out since then. Hopefully this month.
  • 06-09-2010, 12:49 AM
    Indigo
    I'm from Dayton proper! I've only been to one Columbus show and that was a long time ago... I've vowed to stay away, honestly, because I don't want to come home to an angry husband with a new pretty snake. :D
  • 06-09-2010, 07:08 AM
    Wh00h0069
    Hi everyone. I am mainly going to the show just to look, and buy some frozen rodents. I normally buy them online, but thought I would save on shipping.
  • 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
    Gloryhound
    Up on the lake in Perry, Ohio here. Which is between Cleveland and Ashtabula (or Ashtabubba as we like to refer to it affectionately! :) )
  • 06-12-2010, 09:31 AM
    ladywhipple02
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    Hi everyone. I am mainly going to the show just to look, and buy some frozen rodents. I normally buy them online, but thought I would save on shipping.

American Rodent goes to the Columbus show---as well as the Indy show, which I've also been to a few times---and I always purchase from them. Great suppliers, great people!
  • 06-12-2010, 02:15 PM
    catawhat75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    American Rodent goes to the Columbus show---as well as the Indy show, which I've also been to a few times---and I always purchase from them. Great suppliers, great people!

I don't remember ever seeing AR, only Rodent Pro and a couple local breeders. I wish they did, I was not happy with RP the last couple times I have bought from them. Still trying to find a local breeder for live rats...sigh...
  • 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM
    ladywhipple02
    Quote:

Originally Posted by catawhat75 View Post
    I don't remember ever seeing AR, only Rodent Pro and a couple local breeders. I wish they did, I was not happy with RP the last couple times I have bought from them. Still trying to find a local breeder for live rats...sigh...

Hrm... Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I thought for sure they went to that show. It's been a couple years :rolleyes: I move too much! Really need to get back up C-bus way...
  • 06-12-2010, 07:04 PM
    catawhat75
    They may have, I have only been going to that show for about 3 years now.
    Columbus is now in the process of changing exotic laws... although it is much less restrictive than I have seen in other areas.

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live...t.html?sid=101
  • 06-19-2010, 04:13 AM
    BuckeyeBalls
    Anyone going to the show today?

Ill be there :gj:

Normally meet up with some people from redtailboas.com there :rolleye2:
  • 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM
    BPelizabeth
    No unfortunately. We are going out in the lake on the boat....so my son trumped me for boat over show...:tears: That is so wrong!!
  • 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM
    cschneider
    I just got back from the show! Picked up 2 baby BPs. 1 Lesser (80g) and 1 mojave (65g) female from Pin-up reptiles. I was very happy with the transaction compared to others I have bought from up there. They seemed like they weren't just in it for the money. Very knowledgeable and seemed honest about everything. Also picked up a bunch of frozen hoppers and rats. Got great prices on everything. I'll never buy feeders from a pet store again lol. I'll post picks of the new girls in a few days when they get a little more settled in.
  • 06-20-2010, 11:11 PM
    BPelizabeth
    wow congrats!!
  • 06-27-2010, 09:05 AM
    dmasio
    I live about 10 minutes south of Columbus
  • 06-27-2010, 09:16 AM
    azmodane
    Up in Elyria Ohio... O-H....
  • 07-23-2010, 11:04 AM
    KJE
    Hey, everyone! I am in Fairfield, OH which is just north of Cincinnati.

The original reason for this post is because I was looking through craigslist and found someone in Loveland that wants to give their ball python away. I'm not really looking for another one, so I thought I'd come here to see if any of you were interested. All the person knows is that it was bought from a store about a year ago by a friend and it eats live mice. They also said they know nothing about snakes. We really need to help this snake out. Let me know if you want it. To see the ad you can search craigslist for python.

Sorry if I am hijacking this tread. I didn't know where else to put this.
  • 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
    osmarcg
    Im from Columbus Ohio
  • 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM
    ameh78
    Howdy all! =]
    Im north of Dayton in Piqua. Going to the show tomorrow and cant wait!
  • 08-08-2010, 11:42 PM
    tylersweeney22
    im from cincinnati
  • 08-14-2010, 11:34 PM
    achilles_crutch
    im in greenville, 40 min north west of dayton.
  • 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
    alohareptiles
    Hey everyone...I might be relocating out that way...Any major buzz-kill snake scenes out there? I'll be bringing my tics, burms, morelia and bp's.
  • 08-19-2010, 12:15 PM
    Wh00h0069
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pandp View Post
    Hey everyone...I might be relocating out that way...Any major buzz-kill snake scenes out there? I'll be bringing my tics, burms, morelia and bp's.

No, people keep pretty much whatever out here, at least non-venomous. Which part of Ohio might you possibly be moving to?
  • 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
    alohareptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    No, people keep pretty much whatever out here, at least non-venomous. Which part of Ohio might you possibly be moving to?

Thank you Wh00h0069...If it happens and "if" being the optimal word, it would be near the Westerville area...
  • 08-19-2010, 01:47 PM
    Wh00h0069
    Quote:

Thank you Wh00h0069...If it happens and "if" being the optimal word, it would be near the Westerville area...

Well at least you would be close enough to attend the Columbus, and possibly the Cleveland shows.
  • 08-19-2010, 03:03 PM
    lusciousdragon
    I'm in Delaware, OH. Just North of Columbus. I've been to the Columbus show like 10 years ago. It was amazing. I walk around spellbound the whole time.
  • 08-19-2010, 07:14 PM
    catawhat75
    Quote:

Very cool, I live in Westerville.
  • 08-19-2010, 07:38 PM
    alohareptiles
    Quote:

Very cool, I live in Westerville.

:gj: I might be bugging you with 411 on the area, neighborhoods and school districts if it come to surface...
  • 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
    catawhat75
    Can do, I have lived in the area my whole life. Whatever you do, try to buy or rent a place that is in Westerville district. Columbus schools are terrible. Oh and I hope you breed your own rats. We have had a serious drought for awhile now :rage:
  • 08-22-2010, 05:19 PM
    alohareptiles
    Quote:

Can do, I have lived in the area my whole life. Whatever you do, try to buy or rent a place that is in Westerville district. Columbus schools are terrible. Oh and I hope you breed your own rats. We have had a serious drought for awhile now :rage:

Yah, I do breed, but if I do the relocation, all will be culled for transportation...Not sure if I'll start breeding again...Gotta decide the living arrangements and those little boggers are sometimes more work than they are worth...Especially, since I need XXL and XXXL rats...
  • 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
    catawhat75
    I did find a good breeder. Nice healthy rats, good size. Just have to drive an hour and a half to get them...
    Oh and Westerville is not the herp friendliest place. No hots, no croc family and lots of Stepford Wives types to make your life miserable if they catch wind of what you have.

Other than that, I love it here :P
  • 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
    Gloryhound
    If you are in Westerville, OH you should have it made as long as you hit the shows early. You have 2 shows a week you could make. One being the Columbus show and the other being about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away in Cleveland. The Columbus show looked like it had more in the way of feeders than Cleveland. Both shows are attended by Rodent Pro, so FT should not be a problem. We breed our own, but we are at the tipping point that we need to build and wire an outdoor shed as they have out grown their planned room. Just not sure if we want to expand that much more. If we do, it will become an actual revenue portion of our business.
  • 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
    alohareptiles
    Quote:

I did find a good breeder. Nice healthy rats, good size. Just have to drive an hour and a half to get them...
    Oh and Westerville is not the herp friendliest place. No hots, no croc family and lots of Stepford Wives types to make your life miserable if they catch wind of what you have.

Other than that, I love it here :P

LOL...I live in a Wisteria Lane subdivision now...and LOVE walking my pitbull around all the cockapoos and other Paris-Dogs...So that won't be a problem...LOL

Is there a decent amount of houses for rent out there? And about how much is rent if you don't mind my asking? Feel free to PM me with the details if you like...I'm not gonna buy this time cause I can't guarantee how long I'll be there...
  • 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
    alohareptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    If you are in Westerville, OH you should have it made as long as you hit the shows early. You have 2 shows a week you could make. One being the Columbus show and the other being about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away in Cleveland. The Columbus show looked like it had more in the way of feeders than Cleveland. Both shows are attended by Rodent Pro, so FT should not be a problem. We breed our own, but we are at the tipping point that we need to build and wire an outdoor shed as they have out grown their planned room. Just not sure if we want to expand that much more. If we do, it will become an actual revenue portion of our business.

Oh, I'll be hitting the shows...Hopefully, they'll be better than the smaller shows I've been too...Granted Tinley makes it all worth living in Illy... LOL
  • 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
    catawhat75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alohareptiles View Post
    LOL...I live in a Wisteria Lane subdivision now...and LOVE walking my pitbull around all the cockapoos and other Paris-Dogs...So that won't be a problem...LOL

Is there a decent amount of houses for rent out there? And about how much is rent if you don't mind my asking? Feel free to PM me with the details if you like...I'm not gonna buy this time cause I can't guarantee how long I'll be there...

Lots of houses for rent. I see them going for anywhere from 1000 a month on up to 3500 on average. You might be able to find a smaller house on the edge of Westerville for 800.
  • 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
    alohareptiles
    Quote:

Lots of houses for rent. I see them going for anywhere from 1000 a month on up to 3500 on average. You might be able to find a smaller house on the edge of Westerville for 800.

Thank you so much...We'll see what happens in the next couple of months but I'm hoping for a sunnier state...:please::please::please:
  • 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
    DC Reptiles
    I'm from Cincy!
  • 11-20-2010, 01:47 AM
    BuckeyeBalls
    Anyone going to show?

Looking to pick up something new haha xD
  • 11-20-2010, 02:58 PM
    AGoldReptiles
    Im from the hills of Ohio. :)
  • 12-02-2010, 12:33 PM
    viper14
    Hello,
    Is anyone Planning on Going to the Reptile show on January 9, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio
    They are holding it at the Holiday Inn Eastgate
    I will be front and Center!! Anybody else??
  • 12-08-2010, 09:21 AM
    alohareptiles
    Well, it's official I'm moving to the Westerville area or there abouts...Please help with suggestions and guidance for school districts, good rentals and reptile shows...
  • 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM
    Wh00h0069
    Quote:

Originally Posted by viper14 View Post
    Hello,
    Is anyone Planning on Going to the Reptile show on January 9, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio
    They are holding it at the Holiday Inn Eastgate
    I will be front and Center!! Anybody else??

I didn't know they had one on Cinci. I doubt that I will go though. I'm not much of a reptile show person. I wonder if Rodent Pro is going to be there.
  • 12-09-2010, 11:27 PM
    catawhat75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alohareptiles View Post
    Well, it's official I'm moving to the Westerville area or there abouts...Please help with suggestions and guidance for school districts, good rentals and reptile shows...

I would go for Westerville schools, although Olentangy (Lewis Center) & Worthington are close by and good districts as well. Stay away from Columbus schools, they suck. I have lived here my whole life so whatever you need to know, feel free to ask me. Our local show is ok, nothing to write home about. Rats are really hard to find the last year or so. I do have a rat person that I pick up from a couple times a month with healthy, quality rats. More than happy to pass along her info.

As for housing, what are you looking for? House or apartment? What price range? What pets do you have? I have a client who has her home up for rent and a friend who also has one for rent.