Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,121

1 members and 2,120 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088
  • 11-02-2018, 09:31 PM
    dakski
    Feliz - Venezuelan "Dwarf" BCC
    We have a new arrival coming Tuesday (4 days from now).

His name is Feliz and his a 1 year old Venezuelan BCC. They are essentially a dwarf species of BCC and are known for easier requirement than other BCC's (more like a BCI), small size (females get about 6ft and males 4 1/2 - 5FT on average), and calm demeanor.

They are rare and I could only find one breeder in the US and very little information online. Feliz is captive bred (I have a picture of his father below). He is not a morph, but a true Venezuelan BCC, with the (IMO) gorgeous BCC coloring on both body and tail, the more "batman" style bands down his body, and the narrower head than a BCI.

He is currently eating stunned hoppers, but I don't think switching him to F/T will be an issue at all given his food response (he's a Boa after all).

According to the breeder, who also breeds other BCC's and many dwarf species of Boas, this is the calmest and most docile line of Boas he breeds. His girlfriend helps in some capacity but does not like many of the snakes, especially babies, as they can be nippy and defensive. She has handled the Venezuelan BCC's since birth, including Feliz.

Apparently, they are not just non-aggressive, but incredibly calm, while still being great eaters.

I had called this breeder about dwarf boas before getting Yafe, but he hadn't called me back right away, and everyone I spoke to about Dwarf species pretty much said there are exceptions, but not to expect BCI personality and temperament.

When he did call me back, he said the same thing. However, I kept talking up how much I loved Behira and he mentioned the Venezuelan BCC's. I did a little research but could find almost nothing on them. I called him back and he told him what he knew about them and sent me some pictures. What's not to love about a BCC? Well, for me, it's the large adult size! They are beautiful and in my mind, the ultimate boa, but one big Boa (Behira) is enough for me, and especially for Katie!

When I realized how rare, docile, and beautiful they were, I couldn't say no.

With what we are dealing with regarding Yafe, I would have preferred to wait to receive him, however, weather would likely make that a 4-6 month wait. He will be set up in another quarantine tank in another part of the house and there will be no interaction whatsoever between them.

We named him Feliz because he is from Venezuela, so it had to be something Spanish, and he is a "dwarf" BCC. Katie and I thought of the 7 dwarfs from snow white, and who doesn't like Happy? Happy is exactly what we want him to be! Happy in Spanish is Feliz!

Please welcome Feliz to our family!

Feliz:

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/dI3mvKS.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/FGYoHIq.jpg[/IMG][IMG[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/qzAWgvW.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/qLLTrGh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/ZpbpEEQ.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/zVlQvYR.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/OHLnN76.jpg[/IMG]

​Not the best picture, but Feliz's Father for scale. Not a huge Boa. I think the breeder said he is under 2KG. He is six years old.

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/CV3whRu.jpg[/IMG]
  • 11-02-2018, 09:34 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Congrats, my friend!!!
    ...and you said you were done, hehehe;):rofl:
  • 11-02-2018, 09:52 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Re: Feliz - Venezuelan "Dwarf" BCC
    oh wow, that narrow face!!!

SOOOO cool!!! congrats!

man, our hobby really sucks at not getting more animals when we say so...
  • 11-02-2018, 10:04 PM
    Sauzo
    Grats. Did you get him from Mike Lucchesi or Chris Wolf? Iirc, they both breed them and i think Mike had a litter of them a little while ago but i dont think Chris was breeding any this year.

I almost picked one up from Mike but I'm holding out for the perfect Peruvian still lol. I just gotta convince Udo Wagner to breed some of his stock and sell me one lol.

And honestly, most BCC are pretty laid back too. Gina has only ever hissed at me once and that was during her first shed when i got her and was bugging her lol. Otherwise, she is so laid back.
  • 11-02-2018, 10:09 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Congrats, my friend!!!

Yeah, I know! My weaknesses are showing big time here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    oh wow, that narrow face!!!

SOOOO cool!!! congrats!

man, our hobby really sucks at not getting more animals when we say so...

Very cool, and yes, agreed! The fact that he is the last one in the litter, for this year anyway, didn't help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Grats. Did you get him from Mike Lucchesi or Chris Wolf? Iirc, they both breed them and i think Mike had a litter of them a little while ago but i dont think Chris was breeding any this year.

I almost picked one up from Mike but I'm holding out for the perfect Peruvian still lol. I just gotta convince Udo Wagner to breed some of his stock and sell me one lol.

Thank you.

I got him from Tommy at TC Reptile.

http://tcreptile.com

https://www.facebook.com/TCReptile

I got in touch with him because of the amount of Dwarf Species he breeds. Very knowledgeable and seems like a real nice guy. I didn't expect to end up with a BCC, dwarf or not. I didn't even know Venezuelan BCC's existed until I spoke with him.
  • 11-02-2018, 10:16 PM
    Sauzo
    Ah. Yeah Venezuelan's arent a very common BCC to be found. They arent super rare though. From what i have seen, they seem to be on par with stuff like BCL and BCO. If you are looking for pretty obscure boas, check with Chris Wolf. He breeds a lot of those less common boas and most of his stock is from either Gus Rentro or Vin Russo as him and Vin are friends.

You need to pick yourself up a BCL. They are harder to find overall but they are really pretty. Louie is my BCL from Meltzer/Lincoln line which i have been told by a few people that the line is almost gone and not many are around. Mine was from a Vin Russo and Joel Diaz combo. Check with Jessica Fee if you are looking for Denton line stuff as she has some awesome looking ones.
  • 11-02-2018, 10:59 PM
    Dianne
    Congratulations! Beautiful new addition. :D
  • 11-03-2018, 12:26 AM
    bcr229
    Is it a Paraguanara Peninsula Venezuelan BCC or something else? I have a Russo-line Paraguanara and as a baby he was not at all chill. He did eventually grow out of it though. Feeding response is phenomenal even for a boa.
  • 11-03-2018, 12:46 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Is it a Paraguanara Peninsula Venezuelan BCC or something else? I have a Russo-line Paraguanara and as a baby he was not at all chill. He did eventually grow out of it though. Feeding response is phenomenal even for a boa.

I'll ask. He said every litter he has had has been very calm. However, not 100% sure of the exact locale, or if he knows. I'll advise.
  • 11-03-2018, 03:25 AM
    richardhind1972
    Congratulations on that little stunner

Im wanting a bcc but have had to stop myself looking, luckily I'm at work this weekend as there's another reptile expo on and there's normally some there. There quite difficult to get hold of here, running out of room so that's probably a good thing.

I agree with sauzo about the bcl ,there just great

Well congratulations again and I can't wait to see his progression

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
  • 11-03-2018, 10:40 AM
    EL-Ziggy
    Congrats! Gorgeous addition Dave and what a pleasant surprise. Nothing like new critters. :)
  • 11-03-2018, 11:49 AM
    dakski
    Thanks for all the kind word guys! I am excited.

His quarantine tank is all setup and dialed in.

88F hot spot, 82F ambient, 78F cool side. Ready to rock and roll.
  • 11-03-2018, 10:25 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

Rio Bravo Venezuelan BCC. On his FB page. He told me that as well, but I could remember specifically. When I saw it on FB, it clicked. Plus, it's the only line of Venezuelan BCC's he breeds.
  • 11-03-2018, 10:34 PM
    dakski
    A few quick things.

First, I think I posted pictures of two different animals in my original post. I am not 100% sure.

The pictures he sent me of Feliz are below. The picture of his dad is correct. He had posted on FB that he had only one left and posted pictures of what appears to be one of his brothers or sisters, with the dog bone tail, that I do not believe is Feliz. I originally thought it was. My apologies. Still quite the looker as far as I am concerned.

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/qzAWgvW.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/qLLTrGh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/FGYoHIq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/ZpbpEEQ.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/OHLnN76.jpg[/IMG]

Additionally, his quarantine tank is setup and dialed in. My buddy who owns the local reptile shop and is a breeder of several species as well, had a small vision tank laying around. I offered to buy it from him, but he said I could borrow it until Feliz's 4X2' Boaphile comes in a month or so.

It was used, so I F10SC'd the crap out of it about 3X for 15 minutes each. Nice and clean now.

It has a small UTH set to 87-89F and small (20W) RHP above it keeping it about 85F on top of the warm hide and about 82-84 ambient on the hot side. I also have a small (zoo med nano 40w) CHE in the middle of the tank running off the same thermostat as the RHP keeping the middle of the tank 80F and the cool side 78F.

I am also running a Nano LED light on a 12 hour day/night cycle.

Picture below:

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/tv8eJHJ.jpg[/IMG]
  • 11-04-2018, 05:09 AM
    SunshineWalker
    Quote:

Congrats, my friend!!!

That's what he told me too...

:colbert:
  • 11-04-2018, 05:11 AM
    SunshineWalker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Ah. Yeah Venezuelan's arent a very common BCC to be found. They arent super rare though. From what i have seen, they seem to be on par with stuff like BCL and BCO. If you are looking for pretty obscure boas, check with Chris Wolf. He breeds a lot of those less common boas and most of his stock is from either Gus Rentro or Vin Russo as him and Vin are friends.

You need to pick yourself up a BCL. They are harder to find overall but they are really pretty. Louie is my BCL from Meltzer/Lincoln line which i have been told by a few people that the line is almost gone and not many are around. Mine was from a Vin Russo and Joel Diaz combo. Check with Jessica Fee if you are looking for Denton line stuff as she has some awesome looking ones.

Don't encourage him! ;) LOL. We will need a bigger house for any more snakes!
  • 11-04-2018, 05:14 AM
    SunshineWalker
    Firstly, just be be clear, there is no animosity or really upset at us getting yet another snake when we were "done" 4 snakes ago. I'm happy to be part of getting the new addition, and I think Feliz seems super cool! I'm hoping I'm not bad luck, and this snake transitions well with NO ISSUES!!! Fingers crossed.
  • 11-04-2018, 05:45 AM
    richardhind1972
    Surely nothing else can go wrong.
    All my fingers are crossed for you both, he really is super cool and that tail is just awesome, really looking forward to a hopefully happier progression thread on him from the beginning cheers rich

• 11-04-2018, 06:46 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    That's what he told me too...

:colbert:

Hahahahaha. The funny thing is, I bet he really meant it at the time.
  • 11-04-2018, 06:58 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Hahahahaha. The funny thing is, I bet he really meant it at the time.

True. However, I am not sure this helps or hurts my case.
  • 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    True. However, I am not sure this helps or hurts my case.

Hahaha. I hear ya. I think it happens to many of us in this hobby. We truly believe we'll be done after "one more". And we intend to be. But since their care and upkeep really is simple, we realize, ok, I can safely and responsibly add one more....
  • 11-04-2018, 09:42 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Hahaha. I hear ya. I think it happens to many of us in this hobby. We truly believe we'll be done after "one more". And we intend to be. But since their care and upkeep really is simple, we realize, ok, I can safely and responsibly add one more....

Amen to that brother! Plus, if he is anything like Behira personality wise, wow, he's going to rock!
  • 11-04-2018, 09:59 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Amen to that brother! Plus, if he is anything like Behira personality wise, wow, he's going to rock!

You're light years away from somebody I "worry" about getting in over your head. I see it with some folks, but you ain't one. I know with 100% certainty your animals are well cared for and any new additions will be as well.
  • 11-04-2018, 10:40 AM
    Dianne
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineWalker View Post
    Firstly, just be be clear, there is no animosity or really upset at us getting yet another snake when we were "done" 4 snakes ago. I'm happy to be part of getting the new addition, and I think Feliz seems super cool! I'm hoping I'm not bad luck, and this snake transitions well with NO ISSUES!!! Fingers crossed.

I think it is so cool that you are on board with the new additions that have been added. I was blessed that my other half supported my hobby. While none were his snakes, he found them interesting, including how each had their own personality. He always helped me, including handling, which meant at lot to me. And you’ve added one cool addition of your own in Izzy...love her. I’m a big fan of the boas, though you’d never know it by the number of bp’s I added this year. :D
  • 11-04-2018, 11:00 AM
    distaff
    Quote:

One thing I really like about the snake hobby is that the people in it can be much more relaxed. Gather up the cash for the equipment, plus the the price of the snake, and a new addition can usually be tucked in somewhere....

I also keep budgies, and for the most part, parrot ownership is NOT like that. The budgie/finch/canary scene is fairly easy-going, but as soon as people get into the larger birds, the expense, the noise, the mess, and the destruction is no joke. Owners also end up guilt racked - they bought a bird instead of going to a rescue (how dare you! - there is so much finger pointing), or they take on a demanding, emotional animal that isn't ever going to adapt well to their household, and trying to make good on that misake is making everyone crazy.
  • 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM
    Gio
    "I got him from Tommy at TC Reptile.

I got in touch with him because of the amount of Dwarf Species he breeds. Very knowledgeable and seems like a real nice guy. I didn't expect to end up with a BCC, dwarf or not. I didn't even know Venezuelan BCC's existed until I spoke with him."

Congrats! TC Reptile was a good choice.

Tommy has, or has had several lines that stemmed from Gus Renfro's work.

I haven't checked the web page in a long time. It's nice to see he's still producing beautiful, locality boas!
  • 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    "I got him from Tommy at TC Reptile.

I got in touch with him because of the amount of Dwarf Species he breeds. Very knowledgeable and seems like a real nice guy. I didn't expect to end up with a BCC, dwarf or not. I didn't even know Venezuelan BCC's existed until I spoke with him."

Congrats! TC Reptile was a good choice.

Tommy has, or has had several lines that stemmed from Gus Renfro's work.

I haven't checked the web page in a long time. It's nice to see he's still producing beautiful, locality boas!

Thank you Gio. Yes, I couldn't remember who he said he bought the line from, but that sounds right, Gus Renfro. I can also ask him for clarification.

He seems to do some real oddball stuff as well as really know his lines well and what he is talking about. I also like that he knows the animals and isn't a huge breeder. I'll be able to review fully when I get Feliz, but so far, the experience has been very positive.
  • 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM
    Godzilla78
    I love that look. Nice size, shape, pattern and color. I can see why you got him.
  • 11-04-2018, 11:40 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I love that look. Nice size, shape, pattern and color. I can see why you got her.

Thanks Godzilla78! I can't argue with the look, but his small adult size and puppy dog temperament made the decision easy. This Dwarf Rio Bravo Venezuelan Line of BCC is supposedly known for those traits exactly; small size and incredibly calm demeanor. The breeder has many boas and many different lines. He says these are by far the calmest he breeds. Even right from birth, everyone of this litter was handleable he said, but still had a great feed response.

I think he's stunning though and cannot wait to see that amazing red tail at size!

If his personality is anything as advertised, he's going to steal my, and Katie's, hearts, pretty quick. Overall, just seems like a really cool dude. I don't think we will be disappointed.
  • 11-04-2018, 05:42 PM
    Jakethesnake69
    Wow, great pick up. The tail on that guy is an eye grabber. You do have great taste in animals.
  • 11-04-2018, 07:07 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Wow, great pick up. The tail on that guy is an eye grabber. You do have great taste in animals.

Thank you! I usually prefer morphs, but who can argue with a BCC? Stunning looking animals with amazing tails for sure!

I just got the tracking number and he's due to arrive early Tuesday (about 40 hours from now). I can't wait to meet him!
  • 11-04-2018, 07:33 PM
    Jakethesnake69
    Funny, normals are becoming the exotic and they are really beautiful in their own right. I hope he shows up healthy and on time. Congratulations.
  • 11-04-2018, 07:40 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Funny, normals are becoming the exotic and they are really beautiful in their own right. I hope he shows up healthy and on time. Congratulations.

LOL, right! Either way, he looks like a handsome guy!

SHHHHHHHHHHHH! No mention of any potential issues.

Everything is going to be great!

I will give a great report as soon as he arrives!
  • 11-04-2018, 08:37 PM
    distaff
    Quote:

I own both, but tend toward the normals. They can be hard to find!
  • 11-05-2018, 10:16 PM
    dakski
    He's on his way and so far so good!

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/Q1MumUe.png[/IMG]

Hopefully the next report will be after the unboxing tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned!
  • 11-05-2018, 11:46 PM
    Jakethesnake69
    I can hardly wait. Since I can’t get anymore snakes I’m going to live out this part through others. Lol.
  • 11-06-2018, 01:38 AM
    jmcrook
    Dude, just incredible. Congrats and keep us posted!
  • 11-06-2018, 04:16 AM
    richardhind1972
    Good with the arrival of feliz, Can't wait to see some pics

• 11-06-2018, 04:43 AM
    richardhind1972
    Ment good luck with the arrival, still asleep lol

• 11-06-2018, 06:36 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Ment good luck with the arrival, still asleep lol

No problem Rich.

Just got up for my, apparently normal, 5:30AM arrival day pee, and checked fedex website. He's left Memphis, TN and is on his way to CT.

Everything should be good for morning pickup.
  • 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM
    JRLongton
    This must be the best circumstance to take a day off from work!

I know you're careful and will do everything necessary to reduce stress for him as soon as possible, but please get a few pics before you put him away!

Congrats!
  • 11-06-2018, 12:02 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    This must be the best circumstance to take a day off from work!

I know you're careful and will do everything necessary to reduce stress for him as soon as possible, but please get a few pics before you put him away!

Congrats!

I work from home most days anyway! But, yes!

See below.
  • 11-06-2018, 12:12 PM
    dakski
    He's here! On time and safe and sound!

Here's the link to the unboxing video: https://streamable.com/asp0w

Below are some pictures.

Some data:

DOB: 9-25-17

Sex: Male

Line/Type: Venezuelan BCC, True Red Tail. Rio Bravo Reptiles Bloodline produced by Ron Greenburg from boas he purchased from directly from Gus Rentfro.

Produced by: Tommy Carpenter at TC Reptile.

Weight on arrival: 129G

A couple quick notes:

He's stunning. Amazingly beautiful. The contrast and definition on him is incredible. He's also pretty chill. I only held him for a minute and he'd had a long journey, but he seemed happy with happy tongue flicks and gentle deliberate movements. I put him in front of his warm hide in his tank and he went right in. Not 2 minutes later, he was half out of the hide exploring. He's a brave and confident little guy.

He's pretty thick for his length compared to BCI's I've seen the same length, not age. Behira was about the same age as him when I got her and over 400G.

I talked to my mother last night. She had been traveling and I let her know that he was coming today. She said, "you already have a boa!" Made me doubt myself. However, two minutes with Feliz and I and I have zero doubts. If he's my last reptile, which he may be, I have no regrets.

Finally, I say in the video, all my animals are morphs except for Feliz and Frank (my Northern Blue Tonge Skink). That's not true. Esmeralda (Ezzy), our Bayonnaise Leachie is pure locale and not a morph as well.

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/H5U9zRZ.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/e9GWhkJ.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/0KOiZKh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/crJsXek.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/KmiSjKm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/TRqEYPz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/TaaIMK2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/YPALhUw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/JDHA26r.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/9opsDhz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/FgrRhJh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/CoHVAME.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/vRhd6qx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/h9Aguxe.jpg[/IMG]
  • 11-06-2018, 12:16 PM
    Bogertophis
    SWEET! :carrot::dance::bounce:
  • 11-06-2018, 12:23 PM
    zina10
    Very beautiful !!!

and dare I say, he definitely does not have any feeding problems, lil chunker he is.. :D
  • 11-06-2018, 12:25 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Very beautiful !!!

and dare I say, he definitely does not have any feeding problems, lil chunker he is.. :D

LOL!

Well, he is over a year old, and a BOA!!!!!

Looks healthy chunky, not fat.

He’s just big boned. That’s all. Like me.
  • 11-06-2018, 12:38 PM
    Bogertophis
    That's my kind of boa...are you sure he went to the right address? (not mine?) ;)
  • 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's my kind of boa...are you sure he went to the right address? (not mine?) ;)

I'll double check ;):D.
  • 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM
    zina10
    Quote:

LOL!

Well, he is over a year old, and a BOA!!!!!

Looks healthy chunky, not fat.

He’s just big boned. That’s all. Like me.

He is like my mare...

A "easy keeper". Nothing wrong with that at all, LOL !!!
  • 11-06-2018, 01:42 PM
    richardhind1972
    So glad he arrived all safe and sound, looks stunning,love the pinks on his side ,look forward to his progression pics