Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Jcd5v (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
  • 06-05-2012, 02:27 AM
    Kookie17
    that is AWESOME! I might have to try that when I get my own place and more ball pythons :D
  • 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM
    Chewy
    For the 41qt tub are you still using 1/2"? Would anything thinner work? I'm trying to cut costs since it needs 2 boards vs the 1 before!
  • 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM
    Highline Reptiles South
    no way thinner would work. I just built 3 more of these yest.They are great.

This should be stickied.
  • 06-10-2012, 05:19 AM
    Coleslaw007
    I second the sticky add! Can you post the part where you added the heat tape? I don't think I missed that part......

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
  • 06-10-2012, 06:15 AM
    TheSnakeEye
    I noticed you keep these racks at home, do you have them secluded in a heated room? Or somewhere, where the AC blows normally Reason I ask is that because they're open in the back, I would imagine they don't insulate as well as a full rack.

As of right now my snakes are my room and it can get down to 72 F, but I would love some of those open back racks.
  • 06-10-2012, 07:30 AM
    rlditmars
    Re: DIY XPVC Rack - Complete with pics!
    This is a good thread Simple Man. I just added it to my favorites.

Question though? If you were to keep the flexwatt and connectors in from all the sides, do you think it would be safe to drap a piece of fabric or shower curtain around the three braced sides kind or the way they attach a table skirt.

I was just thinking for those who don't have a dedicated reptile room to be able to hold more heat if necessary.

I was thinking of using a strip of velcro around the top and that way it would be easy to put on or take off as needed. For those sports fans you could get something with you favorite team, and for the ladies who just have to coordinate, well I guess they could do that too.

Thoughts?
  • 06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
    Simple Man
    I have a heated reptile room. That's the only way I could afford to keep so many animals. It would be very easy to make these enclosed but you would need to use another sheet of XPVC. Depending on where you live that could cost $80-120 extra. I recently put a youtube video up that shows how to solder Flexwatt. I simply use a single piece of Flexwatt for the 15/32 qt rack. The 41qt uses 12" strips of 11" Flexwatt.

Here is the soldering Flexwatt YouTube link. http://youtu.be/mFjTLTNbwNo

I'll check back for anymore questions!

Regards,

B
  • 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
    Highline Reptiles South
    I bought a less expensive material to enclose the back and got 12inch wide side pieces to enclose the sides. This forced me to route channels in the shelves to route the heat tape through.

The material i got for the back was bought at home depot and looks sort of like peg board without the holes. I believe it is the board you use for dry erase markers.

Brian has helped me out a great deal with my DIY projects. Thank man!
  • 06-21-2012, 12:00 AM
    PsychD_Student
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Thanks for all the kind word!

I predrilled all the holes. The XPVC was super easy to work with.

I am into the rack $85 for the 1/2" sheet of XPVC, $6 for a box of 100 screws, $5 for three two packs of generic super glue, $40 for 20 feet of 4" Flexwatt (I have extra but wanted it that way), and $80 on the tub configuration I have. The grand total is $216!

Regards,

B

Question: Simple Man, why did you decide to use XPVC in place of regular PVC or ABS? I'v built a rack out of melamine and have decided that a plastic rack is the best way to go. I'm debating on which type of material I should use.
  • 06-21-2012, 09:04 AM
    Pampho85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychD_Student View Post
    Question: Simple Man, why did you decide to use XPVC in place of regular PVC or ABS? I'v built a rack out of melamine and have decided that a plastic rack is the best way to go. I'm debating on which type of material I should use.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but, I'm pretty sure that PVC isn't UV resistant (unless you coat it), it's more expensive, and most of all heavier. Never heard of ABS being used in a rack though.