Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,745

3 members and 1,742 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112

Soaking in water

Printable View

• 01-06-2024, 10:17 PM
    Armiyana
    This is also a good point. That's the other downside to wood housing when it's unsealed.
  • 01-08-2024, 10:34 PM
    Ziggy31984
    Re: Soaking in water
    Ziggy feeding day is coming up sooN and his apt and dealing with mites what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-08-2024, 10:44 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy31984 View Post
    Ziggy feeding day is coming up sooN and his apt and dealing with mites what would you recommend?

I assume by "apt" you mean "appointment" [with vet] & not "apartment"? ;)

Is he seriously underweight? If not (& I'm assuming not), getting rid of mites & vet appointments take precedence. The more effective treatments cause some degree of stress to snakes which is not conducive to eating or digestion. No point feeding a snake, only to cause him to regurgitate his meal with needed treatments & handling. So it's best to wait, not feed.
  • 01-08-2024, 10:46 PM
    Ziggy31984
    Yes apt = appointment

• 01-08-2024, 10:48 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy31984 View Post
    Yes apt = appointment

For a minute there I thought he decided to move out. :D
  • 01-11-2024, 05:33 PM
    Ziggy31984
    And please define seal wood
    Like how to treat a dresser? Or with this stuff https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...192441ba2d.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7afdb8abf7.jpg

• 01-11-2024, 06:11 PM
    Bogertophis
    Not sure who you're asking, but I'm not familiar with that product- it may be terrific, but still unsafe for sensitive animals like snakes? I really don't know.

You want something that dries fully- with no VOC (volatile organic compounds) that keep off-gassing, because they're toxic (deadly) to reptiles. Especially because our reptiles are enclosed & breathing anything that off-gases 24-7, & also touching it- they can absorb things thru their skin too.

I think most ppl use polyurethane? Look for "pet-safe" & usually water-based products- Oil based products tend to be toxic & off-gas for a long time. And make sure anything you use is fully dry & odor free for a while (!) before exposing a snake to it. Remember, our sense of smell isn't all that great. I can remember people proudly finishing wood terrariums & having their snake die after they moved in...so do real research, don't assume or take a "salesman's" word for it. I've used a safe waterproofing sealant for converting furniture to snake homes, but it was many years ago & right now, I don't recall specifically what I used.

You might also look into products for sealing fish ponds, because fish are very sensitive too.
  • 01-11-2024, 07:01 PM
    Ziggy31984
    Thank you