Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,259

2 members and 2,257 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28
  • 08-26-2013, 05:22 PM
    Coleslaw007
    Re: Indo-Chinese spitting cobra
    Wow she's amazing! Cobras are just stunning but I don't plan on ever owning hots.
  • 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM
    Trollburrito
    Stupid question, but are the spitting cobras capable of biting?
    And injecting venom, of course.
  • 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM
    Crotalids
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollburrito View Post
    Stupid question, but are the spitting cobras capable of biting?
    And injecting venom, of course.

Indeed they can, no different to any other cobra. The spitting is more of a defensive (get away from me) thing, where the actual bite is for killing prey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coleslaw007 View Post
    Wow she's amazing! Cobras are just stunning but I don't plan on ever owning hots.

Thanks. Yeah, they are, as long as they hood! My mate has a few monocled cobras that don't bother hooding anymore - defeats the point in owning a cobra lol.
  • 08-26-2013, 08:40 PM
    Mephibosheth1
    Maybe already asked, but what kind of housing do you use for her??
  • 08-27-2013, 08:19 AM
    Crotalids
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    Maybe already asked, but what kind of housing do you use for her??

No different to any enclosures that you use for your snakes.

She's in a normal viv, just with screwed in vets so she can't push them out, and a lock on the door.

That's all you have to really worry about really, vents! Although with tiny baby snakes, I keep them in small plastic boxes, as obviously they would escape from a viv.
  • 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM
    crepers86
    I have decided if I ever own a hot I want a copperhead, aside from balls that is my faverite snake to admire.

this girl though is really Queen looking (no Queen is not a typo) she is boss dude
  • 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM
    ballpythonluvr
    Such a gorgeous girl! I love this type of cobra and they are so awesome because of the way they hood up. Very impressive indeed!
  • 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
    jason_ladouceur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, they are, as long as they hood! My mate has a few monocled cobras that don't bother hooding anymore - defeats the point in owning a cobra lol.

Agreed. I've seen a bunch of long term captive naja that won't hood. Without the hood you might as well have a rat snake. At least then you don't have to worry about getting bit when you clean the cage every 3 days lol.
  • 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM
    Crotalids
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    Agreed. I've seen a bunch of long term captive naja that won't hood. Without the hood you might as well have a rat snake. At least then you don't have to worry about getting bit when you clean the cage every 3 days lol.

Exactly! It's quite annoying when they do that lol. Better to stick to the real fighty Naja species as they tend to be aggro their whole life!

That why I don't understand why any venomous keeper would want a coral snake?!?! Might as well have a milk snake and save yourself the hassle of dealing with something highly venomous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crepers86 View Post
    I have decided if I ever own a hot I want a copperhead, aside from balls that is my faverite snake to admire.

this girl though is really Queen looking (no Queen is not a typo) she is boss dude

Haha, thanks mate, yeah copperheads are cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballpythonluvr View Post
    Such a gorgeous girl! I love this type of cobra and they are so awesome because of the way they hood up. Very impressive indeed!

Thank you :)
  • 09-23-2013, 07:20 AM
    Jamesv85
    Amazing! Even though i would never have the courage to keep one at home :D