Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,766

0 members and 2,766 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
  • 07-09-2009, 11:39 PM
    DesignerBP
    Re: Upside Down Egg Experiment
    great project and good to hear that first flipped egg is still looking normal.
  • 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM
    Yodaaz
    Very Interesting experiment...hows it going?? Still candling eggs?? Update?

Pete
  • 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
    muddoc
    Iwill be posting an update this evening. Both eggs are doing fine, but I wanted to let everyone know how far into incubation they are when I post the update.
  • 07-23-2009, 11:00 AM
    West Coast Jungle
    Very interseting experiment Tim.

I was always under the impression that it is ok to move the egg for the first few days, its when the embryo is more developed that moving could be an issue.

After watching how my beardies are reall rough with the eggs as they bury them, I am not as worried about eggs when I handle or move them.

They are obviously tougher than we think.

In many reptiles(turtle, lizards) eggs are buried so moving is not an issue.
    With ball pythons they often stick together which would also stop them from rolling around.

In poultry its a little different.
  • 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
    wolfy-hound
    I've often wondered what the difference was for birds vs reptiles eggs. Since bird eggs must be turned regularly(twice a day for chickens I know) and reptile eggs must NOT be turned(at least past a certain point), I've wondered what the difference was. Why should reptile adhere to the side, while birds should not? Something to think on.
  • 07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
    muddoc
    Here is the detailed update. Both eggs are still doing fine. The first egg is on day 40 (this is the egg that was flipped as soon as it was laid). The second egg still appears to be fine as well (this is the egg that was flipped after being in the incubator for over 48 hours). Hopefully both eggs will go full term. It will definitely help ease my mind when it comes to handling eggs.
  • 07-23-2009, 07:50 PM
    jglass38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    Here is the detailed update. Both eggs are still doing fine. The first egg is on day 40 (this is the egg that was flipped as soon as it was laid). The second egg still appears to be fine as well (this is the egg that was flipped after being in the incubator for over 48 hours). Hopefully both eggs will go full term. It will definitely help ease my mind when it comes to handling eggs.

Cool experiment! Amy just said she doesn't think you would do it 2 weeks after being laid. I smell a challenge! :O
  • 07-23-2009, 07:51 PM
    frankykeno
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I've often wondered what the difference was for birds vs reptiles eggs. Since bird eggs must be turned regularly(twice a day for chickens I know) and reptile eggs must NOT be turned(at least past a certain point), I've wondered what the difference was. Why should reptile adhere to the side, while birds should not? Something to think on.

Here's an interesting link.....

http://books.google.com/books?id=uye...esult&resnum=3

This should take you directly to page 307 which discusses egg turning in birds and reptiles.
  • 07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
    littleindiangirl
    Great find Jo! I think that about answers the questions about where the no-egg turning came from. :gj:
  • 07-23-2009, 08:41 PM
    muddoc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    Cool experiment! Amy just said she doesn't think you would do it 2 weeks after being laid. I smell a challenge! :O

You guys are killing me. I am not scared, but I have to go look and see if I have any other "not important" clutches(I say that loosely), as I think all babies are important. All of my fun stuff seems to be coming at the end of the season. I am not beyond learning for the better good, and I will let you guys know as soon as I find the special egg that will get turned at the 2 week mark. She tried to bluff the wrong cat. HAHAHA.