Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

0 members and 3,314 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa
  • 04-08-2019, 08:51 PM
    TechnoCheese
    What to do with uneaten thawed rodents?
    I figured I’d ask this here because it’s somewhat related, but will frozen feeders go bad if kept for too long? I would imagine that if they could it would take a very long time, but about how long is their shelf life?

This forum has been a great help. Thanks, you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-09-2019, 01:50 AM
    Bogertophis
    Re: What to do with uneaten thawed rodents?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoCheese View Post
    I figured I’d ask this here because it’s somewhat related, but will frozen feeders go bad if kept for too long? I would imagine that if they could it would take a very long time, but about how long is their shelf life?

This forum has been a great help. Thanks, you guys!

It really depends on how well they're wrapped. If you want the best quality & longest shelf life, you want to keep them vacuum-sealed -get a "Seal a Meal" gadget if the
    rodents you buy don't come vacuum-packed. Assuming the best wrap, they should last 6-12+ months & even then won't go "bad" as long as your power was never off to
    the extent that they thawed out & were re-frozen. You will lose some "quality" after a while, but "freezer burn" is mostly a cosmetic issue, your snake won't care.

I recommend you don't re-freeze any uneaten rodents though: bacteria grows rapidly at room temperatures, & freezing doesn't kill bacteria, it's just dormant until thawed
    again. Bleah! They also get mushy & are prone to fall apart if the snake is even willing to bite or squeeze them. And when you sniff them, even you'll know they're bad.
  • 04-09-2019, 07:59 AM
    TechnoCheese
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It really depends on how well they're wrapped. If you want the best quality & longest shelf life, you want to keep them vacuum-sealed -get a "Seal a Meal" gadget if the
    rodents you buy don't come vacuum-packed. Assuming the best wrap, they should last 6-12+ months & even then won't go "bad" as long as your power was never off to
    the extent that they thawed out & were re-frozen. You will lose some "quality" after a while, but "freezer burn" is mostly a cosmetic issue, your snake won't care.

I recommend you don't re-freeze any uneaten rodents though: bacteria grows rapidly at room temperatures, & freezing doesn't kill bacteria, it's just dormant until thawed
    again. Bleah! They also get mushy & are prone to fall apart if the snake is even willing to bite or squeeze them. And when you sniff them, even you'll know they're bad.

Thank you! And yeah, I’ve heard enough stories before joining to stay away from refreezing, lol

• 04-09-2019, 03:59 PM
    Bogertophis
    And there's always "ratatouille"? :rofl: (I'm kidding, there's no rats in ratatouille, but it sounded right.)
  • 04-09-2019, 04:38 PM
    ScalesFins&Feathers
    Get a Monitor
    We have a living garbage can in the shape of a savannah monitor.
  • 04-09-2019, 10:54 PM
    Monty's Python
    My rodent trash can is named Ozzy. He never refuses a rat :D

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../img_0674c.jpg
  • 04-09-2019, 10:56 PM
    TechnoCheese
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty's Python View Post
    My rodent trash can is named Ozzy. He never refuses a rat :D

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../img_0674c.jpg

Super cute!