Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,193

3 members and 2,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,198
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Binobenzo2466
  • 08-28-2022, 05:47 PM
    dakski
    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink
    Frank went to town on his food today. He got a couple mealworm pieces (freeze dried and then soaked) stuck to his nose and he looks like he has a horn. Pretty funny.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach.../IMG_6604.HEIC
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...MG_6608_2.HEIChttps://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach.../IMG_6605.HEIC
  • 08-28-2022, 05:59 PM
    Bogertophis
    The only thing worse than getting dinner stuck on your nose is when people take photos & go public with them. Poor Frank...:D
  • 09-14-2022, 08:47 PM
    dakski
    Frank has been running to his food lately. He's also been eating everything I offer. I think he's getting bulked up for brumation. I usually feed 2X a week, but now I am feeding 2-3X for a bit (every 2-3 days instead of every 3-4).

He's looking great and he gets a varied diet, so I think this will only be good for him.
  • 09-17-2022, 02:08 PM
    binjai
    Hi, can I ask why you use paper towels instead of a particulate substrate, also why you feel the need to trim the claws?
  • 09-19-2022, 07:38 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by binjai View Post
    Hi, can I ask why you use paper towels instead of a particulate substrate, also why you feel the need to trim the claws?

I use paper substrate, Uline printless newspaper, because it makes cleanup and keeping things clean a breeze. I use it in all my tanks - 9 of them (7 snakes and 2 lizards).

Frank is a Northern Blue Tongue, so he does not have high humidity requirements and paper substrate and a small water bowl suit this well.

Common in captivity to have to trim BTS nails, but especially without substrate BTS can really dig in. Even, then, your will probably have to trim occasionally. Unlike monitors, where you shouldn't trim the nails, BTS nails will curl under and create issues if not kept trimmed. BTS are ground lizards and do no need the nails for climbing, like monitors. When I cut his nails I cut just below/above the cuticle, depending on how you look it. Either way, it's as close to the hand/claw as I can get without drawing blood.
  • 09-22-2022, 03:56 PM
    binjai
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I use paper substrate, Uline printless newspaper, because it makes cleanup and keeping things clean a breeze. I use it in all my tanks - 9 of them (7 snakes and 2 lizards).

Frank is a Northern Blue Tongue, so he does not have high humidity requirements and paper substrate and a small water bowl suit this well.

Common in captivity to have to trim BTS nails, but especially without substrate BTS can really dig in. Even, then, your will probably have to trim occasionally. Unlike monitors, where you shouldn't trim the nails, BTS nails will curl under and create issues if not kept trimmed. BTS are ground lizards and do no need the nails for climbing, like monitors. When I cut his nails I cut just below/above the cuticle, depending on how you look it. Either way, it's as close to the hand/claw as I can get without drawing blood.

I have many years experience with the species both in the wild and captivity, there would be no need to trim the claws if the animal has a "proper" substrate, the paper is more about you than the lizard.
    If you offered it a particulate substrate (such as a topspoil/playsand mix topped with non toxic leaves) if will be able to dig/burrow which is perfectly natural behaviour, enriching mentally and physically.
    You need to offer a decent humidity range, the retreats they choose are normally markedly higher than the "outside" air.