Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,015

0 members and 2,015 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,198
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Binobenzo2466

Cuttlefish Bones

Printable View

• 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
    Aeries
    Cuttlefish Bones
    I've been trying to find information about providing cuttlefish bones for aquatic turtles without much luck, so maybe you guys can help!

When I placed piece in with my slider, a few hours later it was all broken up into dust floating around in the water. I didn't know if you needed to prepare it a certain way, or if it might mean she's calcium deprived. (All other behavior is normal and she appears healthy)

Thanks for any help solving the mystery!
  • 08-29-2010, 06:11 PM
    AkHerps
    Re: Cuttlefish Bones
    You could try putting it on her dry land/basking section if you have one and make it so they can't get it into the water if it dissolves or breaks down faster in liquid.

Here I found this:
    http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/in...howtopic=72204
  • 08-29-2010, 10:14 PM
    slitheryz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeries View Post
    I've been trying to find information about providing cuttlefish bones for aquatic turtles without much luck, so maybe you guys can help!

When I placed piece in with my slider, a few hours later it was all broken up into dust floating around in the water. I didn't know if you needed to prepare it a certain way, or if it might mean she's calcium deprived. (All other behavior is normal and she appears healthy)

Thanks for any help solving the mystery!

Most any food you buy for turtles provides enough calcium for your slider, so providing more is not really necessary as long as your turtle is not showing any signs of deformities. Another supplement for your slider that will also give him some extra calcium would be to stuff minnows with the cuttlebone, or calcium supplement of choice, :D
  • 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
    Aeries
    Thanks for the replies guys, both of them helped. That thread had some great advice in it as well!
  • 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
    txherp
    If you can find duckweed it will be good for her diet and it is loaded with calcium.