Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,617

0 members and 2,617 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,172
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Ro55y5

Exo Terra Heat Mat?

Printable View

• 12-19-2017, 12:00 PM
    mzh3de
    Exo Terra Heat Mat?
    The 11" x 17" Exo Terra heat mat I ordered just arrived, but I'm not sure if it's usable. I think I might've read somewhere that someone had issues with them. That and it says glass terrariums only, which I hadn't noticed, but I plan to use it inside a wooden viv. I'm gunna be using it with a "Swell Thermostat" if that means anything?
  • 12-19-2017, 12:12 PM
    Booper
    I can't comment on exo-terra mats themselves as I've never used them (I use habi-stat and another brand I can't recall right now) but
    You're not really supposed to put heat mats and thermostats inside the viv, but to be honest I set mine up like that when I was a new owner. and had it like that for about 8-9 months. Saying that, the reason you're not supposed to do it is the probe can be moved by a snake, or the mat can get damp and that will make the temperature spike which could harm your snake (I didn't know this when I set my viv up) I did have a problem with my thermostat but that was a different issue as I use that stat now. What size is your wooden viv? It might be a better idea to scrap the idea of using a heat mat and go straight for a ceramic bulb, but if you did that you'd need to get a pulse thermostat as the ones from Swell are on/off ones. Another thing you can do is put a 'fake bottom' in the viv, I have two that have a glass layer so the heat mat is sandwiched between the wood and that.
  • 12-19-2017, 12:14 PM
    mzh3de
    Re: Exo Terra Heat Mat?
    Nevermind lol, I found my preferred brand with the sizes I want.
  • 12-19-2017, 12:18 PM
    mzh3de
    Re: Exo Terra Heat Mat?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    I can't comment on exo-terra mats themselves as I've never used them (I use habi-stat and another brand I can't recall right now) but
    You're not really supposed to put heat mats and thermostats inside the viv, but to be honest I set mine up like that when I was a new owner. and had it like that for about 8-9 months. Saying that, the reason you're not supposed to do it is the probe can be moved by a snake, or the mat can get damp and that will make the temperature spike which could harm your snake (I didn't know this when I set my viv up) I did have a problem with my thermostat but that was a different issue as I use that stat now. What size is your wooden viv? It might be a better idea to scrap the idea of using a heat mat and go straight for a ceramic bulb, but if you did that you'd need to get a pulse thermostat as the ones from Swell are on/off ones. Another thing you can do is put a 'fake bottom' in the viv, I have two that have a glass layer so the heat mat is sandwiched between the wood and that.

The viv will be something like 45"L x 17"W 16"H (unsure about W x H). I've been using a smaller mat in a smaller viv (34"L) and haven't had any problems with him moving the probe yet, and the mat is def waterproof (though I wouldn't expose it to any large amount of water). I'm avoiding CHEs as an only heat source, I think belly heat is more beneficial to them. If I have any problems I might be able to order a glass mat holder from Swell Reptiles.