Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,047

3 members and 3,044 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles

Ball python enclosure

Printable View

• 01-20-2024, 12:55 PM
    Ruby
    Ball python enclosure
    Hello! It's been awhile since I last posted, Poppy is doing great, and I'm very happy with her bioactive enclosure! Plants, Clean up crew, and microfauna are doing amazing.
    I posted my enclosure on another website and some people said my enclosure will be too small when she's a fully grown adult.

I was hoping this enclosure would be big enough for her entire life. Her enclosure is 48x24x14.

What size enclosure would you guys recommend I upgrade to when she's fully grown? Thank you so much. You guys have been so helpful. :)
  • 01-20-2024, 01:21 PM
    Bogertophis
    I think the size is fine, assuming your BP doesn't grow to be really large (they grow their whole life, so much depends on how long she actually lives). But honestly, I don't care for enclosures that are only 14" high, but that's up to you. While BPs don't use much of the height, that's still awkward to reach into (unless it's top-opening?) & not much height after you add substrate & hides, especially if there is a heat source overheat that you don't want the snake to be too close to. Can't comment much without seeing what you actually have.
  • 01-20-2024, 01:21 PM
    jmcrook
    That will be plenty large enough of an enclosure to house her for life.
  • 01-20-2024, 02:05 PM
    Malum Argenteum
    By regular traditional enclosure standards, that's an acceptable size for anything other than a truly big BP (6 feet); those recommendations tend to be L x W of the cage = length of the snake.

By "bioactive" standards and reasonable practices, not so much. Even on a naturalistic enclosure mindset that could be a little small. That could be part of the difference in recommendations.
  • 01-20-2024, 02:21 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Ball python enclosure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    By regular traditional enclosure standards, that's an acceptable size for anything other than a truly big BP (6 feet); those recommendations tend to be L x W of the cage = length of the snake.

By "bioactive" standards and reasonable practices, not so much. Even on a naturalistic enclosure mindset that could be a little small. That could be part of the difference in recommendations.

I'm glad you said that...I have no experience with bioactive enclosures, but I was thinking they might need more room.
  • 01-20-2024, 03:07 PM
    Ruby
    I'll post a picture of the enclosure when I get home.
    I agree 14 inches is pretty short especially with the 4~ inches of substrate and 2~ inch RHP. Thank you guys! do you think a 6x2x2 would be better?
  • 01-20-2024, 03:14 PM
    Ruby
  • 01-20-2024, 03:18 PM
    Armiyana
    I definitely agree with Malum. It's a great size...if it wasn't bioactive.

The downside with BPs is they can produce such a large amount of waste and urine as adults that they will overwhelm the system you currently have.
    I think the larger size can work as long as you're on top of scooping a majority of poop when it happens and overturning some of the soil regularly.
    Or the larger size can just simply be a nice naturalistic setup without the bioactive to worry about.
  • 01-20-2024, 03:22 PM
    Ruby
    Oh yeah, Either way I'm going to be scooping her poop and urates. I just enjoy bioactive set-ups. The clean up crew I got aren't big enough for her waste. :D
  • 01-20-2024, 03:50 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    ...I agree 14 inches is pretty short especially with the 4~ inches of substrate and 2~ inch RHP. Thank you guys! do you think a 6x2x2 would be better?

Maybe? It might depend on where you live- how cold it is & how hard it is to keep enclosure warm enough, as that's almost twice the height- all that air will be hard to heat. I think if you need & want the extra work of 6' x 2', that 18" high would be better, if available, & if you can keep the temps. in the right range.