Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 799

0 members and 799 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
  • 05-26-2014, 02:40 AM
    sabertooth_chris
    Amazon Tree Boa feeding help
    Its been almost 2 weeks since my boa last fed which was a week before i bought her at a reptile expo. They fed her live mice but i dont have means to continuelly but them so i feed my snakes frozen except she wont eat and im worried she might die if she doesnt eat soon. What can i do
  • 05-26-2014, 03:13 AM
    coldbloodaddict
    Re: Amazon Tree Boa feeding help
    2 options, keep trying thawed or feed live...I would feed live until you get the animal eating, then try to convert to thawed...
  • 05-26-2014, 11:12 AM
    sabertooth_chris
    Im going to try and feed it a lizard since those are their natural prey items. I mean one that i buy from petsmart of course. But i dont know where i can get live feeder mice and i dont have the means to keep them let alone keep them alive
  • 05-26-2014, 03:35 PM
    Eramyl
    Can you not get mice or small rats at your petsmart? My ATB didn't eat for several months after I moved. Mine is a full grown adult however, and could handle it.

Try Craigslist for live feeders if your petsmart doesn't stock them.
  • 05-26-2014, 04:41 PM
    sabertooth_chris
    Mines only a few months old i think. Ya i can get frozen feeder mice at petsmart but she wont eat them. I bought a long tailed lizard and put it in with her since lizards are their natural prey and she seems pretty interested in it but hasnt made a move yet cuz its not night time when she is really active. I just want to get some food in her system until i can figure out how to get her to eat frozen mice
  • 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM
    KMG
    So buy a live mouse at Petsmart. Don't they have them? If not try Petco. Just don't mention its food. The few times I bought live I bought mice with no questioned asked but I didn't volunteer info either.
  • 05-26-2014, 06:42 PM
    sabertooth_chris
    They dont have mice that are frozen fuzzy size though other wise i would do that. Aside from trying to get mice and what not are there any really good techniques to get her interested in feeding though. I read somewhere that using lizard scent tends to help but i have no clue where or how to get that
  • 05-26-2014, 06:45 PM
    wendhend
    Are you feeding at night and dangling the frozen / thawed prey on tongs? That's what all four of mine require in order to take frozen / thawed. If I just lay the prey item down, they have no interest at all.
  • 05-26-2014, 09:35 PM
    sabertooth_chris
    Yup ive been doing that to. My kingsnake eats them when i put them in a dish as does my milksnake. But my boa just doesnt seem interested in the thawed mouse as she does my fingers at the end of the tong
  • 05-26-2014, 09:56 PM
    gardenfiend138
    2 weeks isn't anything to worry about. Was she advertised as wild caught or captive bred? Most of the ATBs you see around are WC, so I might also be skeptical about her eating with them, unless you know and trust the people you bought her from. Have you tried braining a small pinky? I've also heard of dipping the pink in tuna juice has worked. I would check out www.amazon-alliance.com as well for some help with this, or to just show off your new ammie! Good luck and keep us posted.
    -Guy