Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,361

0 members and 2,361 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW

If you had the chance...

Printable View

• 04-10-2023, 08:48 AM
    Aspen0122
    If you had the chance...
    If you had the chance to get ANY arachnid morph, which one would you get? For me it would be a Goliath Bird Eater (a large tarantula morph).

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...ll-animals.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/imag...p4ooA3FFFGH//Z
  • 04-10-2023, 11:10 AM
    Bogertophis
    Wow, that thing is massive! :O Rather pretty too, I must admit- even though I'd never want one.
  • 04-10-2023, 02:14 PM
    Homebody
    Re: If you had the chance...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wow, that thing is massive! :O

You think so? Personally, I like my spiders bigger.;)
  • 04-10-2023, 02:29 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    You think so? Personally, I like my spiders bigger.;)

Hahahaha! More power to ya! :D
  • 04-10-2023, 03:51 PM
    Bogertophis
    I was curious & just read that their venom isn't dangerous to humans (hurts though, like a bee or wasp sting) BUT they have "1 1/2" fangs"!?!? :O Um, no...not for me, thanks. I really prefer pets I can handle. The guy in the photo above must have an unusually-calm one, &/or nerves of steel, hahaha.
  • 04-10-2023, 04:28 PM
    Snagrio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I was curious & just read that their venom isn't dangerous to humans (hurts though, like a bee or wasp sting) BUT they have "1 1/2" fangs"!?!? :O Um, no...not for me, thanks. I really prefer pets I can handle. The guy in the photo above must have an unusually-calm one, &/or nerves of steel, hahaha.

It's more the hairs you gotta worry about with GBEs. They're particularly bad even by urticating hair standards from what I've heard. They also need a lot of space (which goes without saying) and you need to secure their enclosure with the same precautions as you would a decent-sized snake as they're rather strong.
  • 04-10-2023, 10:06 PM
    Malum Argenteum
    What I see in that photo is a spider about to fall five feet and die. That's a pretty irresponsible dude all around.

Arachnids have very few 'morphs', by the way -- 'Goliath Bird Eater' is a species (well, the common name of one). I assume that's what you meant, but many people are a bit fuzzy on the distinction so I thought it worth clarifying.
  • 04-10-2023, 11:54 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    What I see in that photo is a spider about to fall five feet and die. That's a pretty irresponsible dude all around.....

Oh wouldn't that be horrible! Back when I kept a large native t for a while, I was told that if they fall they'll die because their body will break open from the impact. I wasn't much for handling mine anyway, & only did so once or twice over furniture (the couch, I think?). Many people probably think they'd be able to bounce pretty well with those springy-looking legs, but no. :(

So if that t in the photo suddenly used his fangs, how many owners could keep their cool & not drop it? Not many, I'd guess. Maybe there's a soft cushion right below it that's just out of the picture, but even if there is, that photo is setting a bad example by not telling the whole truth.
  • 04-11-2023, 08:01 AM
    Aspen0122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post

Arachnids have very few 'morphs', by the way -- 'Goliath Bird Eater' is a species (well, the common name of one). I assume that's what you meant, but many people are a bit fuzzy on the distinction so I thought it worth clarifying.

That is what I meant, lol
  • 04-11-2023, 11:32 AM
    Erie_herps
    My favorite new worlds would either be a T. blondi (the one you mentioned) or a GBB (I can't spell the scientific name). My favorite old world would be a P. metallica (but I'm not ready to keep one of those yet).