Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,748

3 members and 1,745 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl

What are you baking??

Printable View

• 03-07-2018, 09:06 AM
    Booper
    What are you baking??
    Hi all!
    As I sit here smelling the wonderful smell of lemon bars baking away, it got me thinking about other delicious things I could cook. I got a GCSE in food technology (A grade!) but I'm actually quite bad at cooking :rolleyes: But it's fun! So why not share what you're making, and maybe share a recipe!

Like I said, I'm making lemon bars! It's my boyfriend's favourite, and I told him I'd make him something nice if he phoned the garage (I'm useless with cars!) and I always follow through lol :D I used this recipe on allrecipes.co.uk (Although last time I used the recipe by Rosanna Pansino since I made triforce ones lol): http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4564/lemon-squares.aspx . So far so good, although I swapped the caster sugar for brown sugar (how can I run out of sugar???) and added lemon zest :) I hope they come out okay!

So what are you baking?
  • 03-07-2018, 10:10 AM
    GpBp
    Re: What are you baking??
    Hmm... best thing I can bake is box cake! Well... maybe the occasional brownie. :D
  • 03-07-2018, 10:37 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Today, since I'm off all day and we're expecting a storm, I'm making a chicken tortellini soup with lots of veggies and crushed tomato. I don't like recipes, but they are nice for ideas.

As for baking...nope, gotta follow instructions and measure properly. Not for me. So the only baking I do is following local laws :D
  • 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM
    KevinK
    While otherwise seeming to mess up every kind of baked item known to man.....I do make some pretty killer homemade bagels occasionally. :)
  • 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM
    hilabeans
    As soon as food becomes science and math, I suck at it. So baking is a no-go for me. Cooking however is way fun. I roasted a chicken last night with rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic and lemons, and served with a creamy wild mushroom pasta.

Loads of calories, carbs and fat, and I slept like the dead. :cool:
  • 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM
    bcr229
    I've gotten into baking artisan/no-knead breads recently as they're pretty easy. A small loaf replaces the rice/pasta/potato side dish at dinner.

This weekend will be my first ever attempt at roasting a whole duck.
  • 03-07-2018, 01:10 PM
    Booper
    I really wish I was one of those cool people who can whip things up without a recipe... but alas :D I also wish I was good at savoury cooking, but unfortunately my idea of a 'fancy' meal is steamed rice with veggie sausages or chicken nuggs and cheese, maybe an egg if I'm feeling saucy ;)
    Surprisingly, the lemon bars actually came out okay! They're quite dark due to the brown sugar, but over all very nice!
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/rbNqRUf.jpg
  • 03-07-2018, 01:57 PM
    ladywhipple02
    I made some cake waffles with homemade icing last night (cake batter poured into a waffle iron).

I also make some mean blueberry bread and other flavored breads (strawberry, cherry, etc).

I love to bake and try new things, I just don't have a whole lot of time for it recently.
  • 03-07-2018, 02:16 PM
    cchardwick
    I make homemade sourdough bread every day. I bought the starter on E-bay about a year ago, you have to feed it twice or three times a day and I use the extra to make bread the following day. I've made bread sticks and French bread, lately I've been just making round bread. My latest addition was to add dried cranberries and a heaping spoon of garlic salt, it's wonderful!

The funny thing is that it's like coffee, it only lasts about an hour before it starts changing and is not as good. It's best eaten within 30 minutes after baking. If you eat it the following day it's no where near what it was after being baked, I usually give the left overs to my colony of rats LOL. Here's something new I whipped up real quick the other day (photo below). Everyone wants the recipe until they find out it's a sourdough starter and it actually takes some effort every day to keep it going LOL. The best part is that it's real cheap to make bread, a package of bread flour is only about $3.50 and I can make bread for a week or two with that, just needs some water and salt, I guess I probably use about a cup of flour to make a small loaf every day, I usually feed it twice a day with 1/3 cup of flour and then use a bit more flour to firm it up before baking saving 1/3 cup of starter for the next day.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach.../Sourdough.jpg
  • 03-07-2018, 03:28 PM
    Ax01
    i probably love cupcakes more than anything but i'm not the baker. :( but my sister is. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    I really wish I was one of those cool people who can whip things up without a recipe... but alas :D I also wish I was good at savoury cooking, but unfortunately my idea of a 'fancy' meal is steamed rice with veggie sausages or chicken nuggs and cheese, maybe an egg if I'm feeling saucy ;)
    Surprisingly, the lemon bars actually came out okay! They're quite dark due to the brown sugar, but over all very nice!
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/rbNqRUf.jpg

i would eat that! brown butter? mmmm!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    I made some cake waffles with homemade icing last night (cake batter poured into a waffle iron).

I also make some mean blueberry bread and other flavored breads (strawberry, cherry, etc).

I love to bake and try new things, I just don't have a whole lot of time for it recently.

good idea! i think i can do that.