Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,156

1 members and 2,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,595
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
  • 10-21-2013, 02:56 AM
    whispersinmyhead
    Thermometer mounting in tubs
    So I have thermometer/hygrometers mounted in each tub of my rack with included suction cups. They worked for quite a while until recently. They keep ripping them off. So I was thinking of using industrial strength Velcro. My concern is the adhesive in the tub.

Does anyone have a better solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-21-2013, 03:00 AM
    MootWorm
    Re: Thermometer mounting in tubs
    Is there a notch for a screw? I have a little nut and bolt threaded through my tub and just hang the thermometer on it. It's a standalone tub though, so I'm not sure if you'd have enough room in your rack. I'd be more than a little leery of using adhesive in the tub.
  • 10-21-2013, 08:39 AM
    Rickys_Reptiles
    You could use hot glue or epoxy to glue down a strip of aquarium (or appropriately sized tubing) to the wall or floor of the tub. The simply insert the thermometer probe.
  • 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM
    whispersinmyhead
    Thermometer mounting in tubs
    I forgot to mention it isn't the kind with the probe. So the whole unit is in the tub for ambient temp readings and humidity. I use an IR temp gun for the warm spots.

Bit glue may work but it's nice to remove the unity to replace batteries and clean. I may look at a nut and bolt solution. I was reading Vypers tub setup sticky and he used Velcro to hold the accurite's in place. Just paranoid it may come off and hurt the snake. I am still using the suction cups but they are only going to last a couple weeks before they start breaking beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
    Montypython696
    I use rare earth magnets. One on each side of the tub, and then one attached to the gauge itself. Works rather well, and I get them from pangea for $2.50 each.
  • 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
    coldbloodaddict
    Just get a temp gun...Whole lot easier and cheaper than buy a thermometer for every tub...
  • 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM
    Badgemash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whispersinmyhead View Post
    I may look at a nut and bolt solution. I was reading Vypers tub setup sticky and he used Velcro to hold the accurite's in place. Just paranoid it may come off and hurt the snake.

I would be leery of it too, that stuff is strong. Even if it doesn't come off, just a bit of the sticky stuff overhanging the edge of the velcro once it's stuck down could potentially be enough to rip off a scale if they rub against it.
  • 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
    jclaiborne
    I used silicone epoxy to stick the suction cup to the side of my enclosure