Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,161

2 members and 1,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112

Hold for pickup question

Printable View

• 07-07-2013, 10:16 AM
    FireStorm
    Hold for pickup question
    So, I have shipped snakes to be held for pickup at the FedEx facility before, and always required that they be picked up by 10:30am (if they are delivered on time, of course). But right now I have a customer who wants to pick up after work, around 3:30 pm. What are your thoughts on this? It makes me a little nervous, especially because I have never done it that way and I'm not sure where they are kept at the FedEx facility while they wait. But, I do have some phase 22 packs...I could use one of those if it would help ensure the temps stayed moderate.
  • 07-07-2013, 10:52 AM
    Neal
    Re: Hold for pickup question
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    So, I have shipped snakes to be held for pickup at the FedEx facility before, and always required that they be picked up by 10:30am (if they are delivered on time, of course). But right now I have a customer who wants to pick up after work, around 3:30 pm. What are your thoughts on this? It makes me a little nervous, especially because I have never done it that way and I'm not sure where they are kept at the FedEx facility while they wait. But, I do have some phase 22 packs...I could use one of those if it would help ensure the temps stayed moderate.

I've done hold for pickup a time or two, and when I went to pick them up they were inside the office building thing. I'm not sure if this is the case with all of the packages so don't quote me on it, but generally they're placed nearby the office so they know where to look to get the packages. I'm not sure if you'd want to make any kind of guarantees because you don't know where exactly it's kept at.
  • 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM
    Marissa@MKmorphs
    Hold for pickup question
    I pretty much only have my packages held at the hub. My FedEx drivers are terrible about tossing around packages and just leaving them at my door. They always have my packages indoors just around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-07-2013, 12:27 PM
    treeboa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by missriss2012 View Post
    I pretty much only have my packages held at the hub. My FedEx drivers are terrible about tossing around packages and just leaving them at my door. They always have my packages indoors just around the corner. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
    BHReptiles
    I have received several snakes from a "hold at pick up" option. When I went to pick them up, they were in the main receiving area in the air conditioning. The first time the box was sitting on the front counter by the register and the second snake was off in a side room because the attendant was afraid of what was in the box. But both animals were inside.
  • 07-08-2013, 05:34 PM
    Robyn@SYR
    When you ship Hold for Pickup to a FedEx facility, the box is typically kept in a temperate room inside the facility. There is little concern for extreme temp exposure, either hot or cold.

Ideally your recipient is able to pick up the package early in the day, just to cut down on box time and stress for the animal, but there shouldn't be a lot of concern over temp issues if they come later in the afternoon.
  • 07-27-2013, 12:10 AM
    Badgemash
    I can't speak as a shipper, but as a buyer if I've spent the time finding just the right animal, committed to buying it, having it shipped, and setting up everything at home to prepare for it, I take a couple hours off work to go pick it up at the hold facility and get it settled in asap. It doesn't make sense to leave it sitting there.
  • 07-27-2013, 12:24 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Badgemash View Post
    I can't speak as a shipper, but as a buyer if I've spent the time finding just the right animal, committed to buying it, having it shipped, and setting up everything at home to prepare for it, I take a couple hours off work to go pick it up at the hold facility and get it settled in asap. It doesn't make sense to leave it sitting there.

Good point. I have one arriving this Tuesday (Happy Birthday To Me!), did the hold for pickup, and I've already told my boss that I will be coming in late that day.
  • 07-27-2013, 01:12 AM
    Diamond Serpents
    Best thing to do here is call FedEx and, ask to get a call back from the manager at his hub that it will be held at. Explain to them that it is a live harmless reptile and it can't be left in the facility to cook to death. Ask if it can be held in a office or something till pick up. There facilities aren't a problem it's the drivers because they are forced to be rushed.
  • 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM
    towelie4365
    I recently had my hog island shipped to me by having it held for pickup at the fedex office. I had no problems whatsoever, and I didn't get her until 4pm or so. I have to work 12 hour days monday-friday, so I had to go in at 4am to accomplish this, but it was worth it :)

She was waiting inside in the nice and cool AC :)