Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,131

1 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hasn't eaten

Thanks

Hasn't eaten

I know it's normal for BPs to fast but my 5yr old hasn't eaten in almost two months. Nothing I do is helping. He's interested, smells it, curves. But no. It's aggravating and worrying me. Long story short he hasn't eaten since the week before his vet visit. I thought maybe he was stressed from that. But 2 months now? I even skipped a week here and there, made his feed hotter or colder, and left it in there. He's frustrating me!

Sent using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    As long as he's not losing significant weight there's nothing to worry about. That's just the frustration that comes with keeping BPs

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-08-2019),HeathBish (02-08-2019),MissterDog (02-08-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a ball python, it's a male, it's 5 years old, it's breeding season......that's what they do.

People do not realize that in captivity those animal are overfed and that fasting for a mature male it normal this time of the year.

Based on his weight which should be good considering the age it could last 6 months to a year.

A tip try changing thing around, downsize the enclosure, that's what I do with any animal that fast for over 8 weeks and it usually get them back to eat within a week or two.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-08-2019),HeathBish (02-08-2019),MissterDog (02-08-2019),Theflyingyogi (02-17-2019)

Thanks

Re: Hasn't eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It's a ball python, it's a male, it's 5 years old, it's breeding season......that's what they do.

People do not realize that in captivity those animal are overfed and that fasting for a mature male it normal this time of the year.

Based on his weight which should be good considering the age it could last 6 months to a year.

A tip try changing thing around, downsize the enclosure, that's what I do with any animal that fast for over 8 weeks and it usually get them back to eat within a week or two.
    Do you still offer weekly?

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post

Sent using Tapatalk
    Can't speak for everyone else, but no! When a snake goes off feed & it's fairly normal (many BPs just DO this), offering weekly will only stress you both.

Offer not less than every 2 weeks, & even then, ONLY IF he's acting like he's ready to eat: ie. only IF he's peeking out of his hide in the evening hours, as if ready to
    "ambush-hunt" a rodent. Better yet, wait 3+ weeks...unless you enjoy throwing away food.

***** And you shouldn't be offering food weekly to an adult BP anyway...you did say he's 5 years old? *****

I understand the appeal of ball pythons, but ALL snakes have pro's & con's: unfortunately, this is what you signed up for with a ball python.
    They are pretty, docile & stay a nice cuddly size, but the downsides include the need of higher heat & humidity, fasting & being picky eaters.

It helps to know this is pretty normal, even though it's frustrating for us food-loving humans. Hang in there...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-08-2019 at 12:34 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Theflyingyogi (02-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Can't speak for everyone else, but no! When a snake goes off feed & it's fairly normal (many BPs just DO this), offering weekly will only stress you both.

Offer not less than every 2 weeks, & even then, ONLY IF he's acting like he's ready to eat: ie. only IF he's peeking out of his hide in the evening hours, as if ready to
    "ambush-hunt" a rodent. Better yet, wait 3+ weeks...unless you enjoy throwing away food.

And you shouldn't be offering food weekly to an adult BP anyway...you did say he's 5 years old?
    I just mean offering because he wasn't eating. I fed him every 10-14 days when he was eating. Moreso 14 days. Sooner if he seemed hungry. But not less than 10 days. Usually 12 if he seemed hundry and then I'd start the days over.

Speaking of, since he hasn't eaten he seems to always have his head poking out the hide now. He just chills there like that most of the time. Now it's u usual if he's fully in the hide. Is that weird? He never used to do that. His stats are all good, too. Im a freak with that if you remember.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Is he hanging out in the warm hide or the cool one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Is he hanging out in the warm hide or the cool one?
    It was the cold for a while then the warm. Now both. But more the warm.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Welcome to my world. Odyn is doing the same thing....even the vet visit is spot on. He didn't eat for three months ate a mouse, next week ate two mice and now not eating again. I offer and if he doesn't eat it goes to Booplesnoop because she will eat his lol. That way I'm not wasting rats.

Also my pueblan is off food right now too...grrrr
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (02-08-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post

Sent using Tapatalk
    Yes but I have 60+ animals to feed and I breed my own feeders so if someone is not interested it's not an issue.
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-08-2019),HeathBish (02-09-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast