Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

1 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New to this forum, Got a BEL, Shed question

Maybe try a humidity hide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBFKkbJrRE&t=1s
    As long as your BP doesn't spend all day inside the humidity hide, it can be good to keep one in the enclosure at all times especially if it's a light coloured snake which makes it hard to tell when it's going into shed. If humidity isn't bumped up early enough in the shedding process the shed could end up being bad.

Bad sheds can also be caused by illnesses, malnutrition, and parasites but there are usually other signs of these problems if they are present.

Could it be that your hygrometer is inaccurate?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Maybe try a humidity hide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBFKkbJrRE&t=1s
    As long as your BP doesn't spend all day inside the humidity hide, it can be good to keep one in the enclosure at all times especially if it's a light coloured snake which makes it hard to tell when it's going into shed. If humidity isn't bumped up early enough in the shedding process the shed could end up being bad.

Bad sheds can also be caused by illnesses, malnutrition, and parasites but there are usually other signs of these problems if they are present.

Could it be that your hygrometer is inaccurate?
    Thanks for the suggestion. Am planning on doing that soon. The hygrometer is reading the same as another one that i have. So i’m almost certain it’s accurate.

-Jason

Thanks

Random but interesting. Was checking on Blue and saw some mold on the grapevine branch i had in there for decoration. Hadn’t realized how poor grapevine is for holding up to humidity. Took that out and cleaned the areas it was touching. Yikes!

-Jason

Thanks

Another thing now. Blue was out and about tonight exploring. I noticed just how dehydrated he really looks. I looked up pictures of other dehydrated snakes, and he definitely looks it to me. His humidity has been over 70% consistently for the past week and he’s had fresh water every day. I was concerned that he wasn’t actually drinking, but i watched him explore tonight and actually caught him in the act of sipping some water.

For the time being, to get him rehydrated i sprayed down the terrarium to get the humidity even higher and made a humid hide (don’t know if he’ll find it soon but figured it’s worth a shot)

If he’s still looking the same tomorrow, i’ll soak him to hopeful hydrate him. Any other suggestions or reasons why he’d be so dehydrated? (sorry for the blurry pics, was taken through the glass doors haha)

-Jason

Thanks
    I bought myself a new baby BEL a couple of weeks ago and he was looking the same way! I found the AnimalBytesTV channel on youtube and followed the instructions for how to fix a bad shed in this particular video of theirs:

And now he looks smooth and gorgeous again. Set aside a little over an hour for this and don't leave him alone in the tub - pet him & talk to him softly to keep him calm, make sure when he dunks his head under that he comes back up again & gently put him back into the water when he tries to crawl out.

What I did was set a timer for half an hour, then when the timer went off I'd rub him down to see if I could get the shed off. If it doesn't come off easy just reset the timer & try again in 30 more minutes. When the water goes cold put in more warm water.

It took one hour & 15 minutes for me to get all of mine's shed off & now he's beautiful and healthy looking again, all it takes is a little bit of patience and time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxy For This Useful Post:

gdawgs56 (01-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdawgs56 View Post
    Too funny! I’m hoping to save his first few sheds as souvenirs so i’m kinda hoping that doesn’t happen
    Oddly all my Royals shed their skins in one messy lump ,usually found under a hide days later ..

In my experience you don't get those lovely clean Corn snake or King snake sheds ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

In extreme cases of stubborn shed or to treat dehydration I have soaked a snake for about 20 minutes and then I just wipe them down gently with a rough textured towel ... you just wrap it up in the towel and let it slither around inside ... when it's head pops out simply cover it up again ..

The skin all comes off nice and gently on the towel.

The easiest way I've found to ensure a perfect shed is to know your snake well .. as soon as they go into shed mode .. eyes glaze over / go blue and they fade in colour plus they disappear for a day or two.
    I spray the viv well each day THEN as soon as the eyes clear and colour returns to normal you spray two or three times a day until you find the shedder skin four to seven days later ..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

gdawgs56 (01-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    In extreme cases of stubborn shed or to treat dehydration I have soaked a snake for about 20 minutes and then I just wipe them down gently with a rough textured towel ... you just wrap it up in the towel and let it slither around inside ... when it's head pops out simply cover it up again ..

The skin all comes off nice and gently on the towel.

The easiest way I've found to ensure a perfect shed is to know your snake well .. as soon as they go into shed mode .. eyes glaze over / go blue and they fade in colour plus they disappear for a day or two.
    I spray the viv well each day THEN as soon as the eyes clear and colour returns to normal you spray two or three times a day until you find the shedder skin four to seven days later ..

Thanks. My problem is that my humidity is high already, and i did notice the hazy eyes and started bumping up the humidity even more... and still got a bad shed.

-Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdawgs56 View Post
    Thanks. My problem is that my humidity is high already, and i did notice the hazy eyes and started bumping up the humidity even more... and still got a bad shed.

-Jason
    Poor shed usually suggests not enough humidity I thought .

What kind of hygrometer are you using ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

New to this forum, Got a BEL, Shed question

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Poor shed usually suggests not enough humidity I thought .

What kind of hygrometer are you using ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah... it’s a digital hygrometer thermometer, and i confirmed the numbers with a second hygrometer.

Is it possible he had a bad shed just cuz of being in a new environment and not 100% settled?

-Jason
    Last edited by gdawgs56; 01-19-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast