Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

2 members and 2,838 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

My Reptile Area is Complete

I should have titled this thread, "My Reptile Area is Almost Complete," but we will get there soon enough.

I have my 5 6FT X 2FT Boaphile tank stack in the reptile area with the bottom two 6'X2' tanks split into 4 3'X2' enclosures. So the tower has 7 tanks in total and 8 reptiles living in them (2 female Leopard Geckos, Carra and Kayla, get along great and share a tank, while Cleo, who doesn't play well with others, has her own 3X2').

Yafe (new yearling Albino Carpet Python) is getting a 4'X2' arboreal tank from Jeff Ronne at Boaphile in the next 4 weeks and it will be set up in the same area as the current Reptile Tower/Condo. Not sure how fast he moves in there as he will be on quarantine for a bit and is recovering from an RI he got because of shipping delays, etc.

His tank will be 4'X2'X1.5' and have two 4FT X 2.5" roughed PVC pipes running from side to side, but both at different heights and distances from the front. This will allow him to pick temps and heights, etc. when he wants to climb (he is an Irian Jaya and Darwin Hybrid and IJ's are known to climb while Darwin's spend most of their time in branches/trees - he is already making use of the small fake branches in his quarantine tank). There will also be heat tape on his hot side floor in case he wants to use his hide there, and a hide on the cool side as well. So far, not much of a hider, as he spends most of his time on branches watching me.

Here is a link to a split 3X2' Boaphile Arboreal tank: http://www.boaphileplastics.com/arborealcages.html

Jeff is "custom making" Yafe a 4X2' with two branches instead of one.

Okay, I digressed, but I want to paint a picture here.

The reptile area is in our finished basement (about 800 SQ Feet) and that is shaped like an "L". The "_" of the L, is the reptile area. It's about 12FT X 10FT, or about 120 SQ/FT.

I have the tower against the only indoor wall in that area. Yafe's tank (placement below) will be "kitty cornered" on the two outside walls in that area, but will not touch the walls and will have a several foot area behind it for ventilation.

The only other reptile we have, is Esmeralda (Ezzy) the Leachie, who has no special temp requirements, and lives in Katie's office upstairs. She keeps Katie company, but does not stay in the reptile area. She's rogue .

Below are the pictures of the reptile area currently, and I will update when Yafe's tank is setup (it will be on a 4X2X1.5' stand and therefore will be 3FT tall).

​Looking into the Reptile Area from the TV area/Living Space in the finished basement (Yafe's tank will go in front of the standing lamp in the corner):

[IMG][/IMG]

Current Tank Tower/Condo (picture taken standing next to the big chair in the reptile area, on the chairs left side):

[IMG][/IMG]

​Picture of Corner Where Yafe's tank is going, again, from left of big chair:

[IMG][/IMG]

Two Shots from Big Chair (dogs are allowed in when reptiles are not out):

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alicia (10-17-2018),Bogertophis (10-17-2018),dr del (10-17-2018),FollowTheSun (01-02-2019),GoingPostal (11-08-2018),hilabeans (12-31-2018),JRLongton (10-17-2018),Michelle-07 (10-16-2018),MR Snakes (12-29-2018),Sonny1318 (10-17-2018),tttaylorrr (10-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: My Reptile Area is Complete

Very nice. I love it all black...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

That is beyond awesome D.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Very nice, I like the way everything blends in. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

If I can see walls in that room: That reptile area isn't complete yet.
    *.* TNTC

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-17-2018),dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    LOL!

They are all outside walls, hence "Kitty Cornering" Yafe's tank. It's a basement, and well insulated, so not as big a deal, but still.

Plus, I really think I am done for a while now! Happy with my collection and the experience with Yafe really scared me. I think it's a sign to stop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle-07 View Post
    Very nice. I love it all black...
    Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    That is beyond awesome D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Very nice, I like the way everything blends in. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Thank you guys! I appreciate it.

That huge chair was previously in the corner where Yafe is going. It lived there since Katie moved in to this house, but when I moved in with multiple reptile tanks, it had to be moved out and I took over that whole space with tanks. Katie lost her reading area, and we lost a lot of space. Sacrifices.

Then we got the Boaphile tower/condo. There were three reasons to do that. First, we needed more space and wanted to have everyone on one wall! Two, I needed at least one bigger tank for Behira (a new addition at that point), and figured, go for broke, get everyone a new tank! Three, I needed an easier and better system for temps and humidity. Zero complaints on these tanks. The reptiles are happy, I am happy, Katie's happy, and it's so easy to maintain proper husbandry!

Fast forward to today and now we have a full reptile area and a big chair for reading and for handling reptiles!

It is crazy how comfortable that chair is! WARNING: Do not sit in that chair before cleaning the reptile tanks! You might not get to the cleaning! I can sit in the chair with the reptiles for hours. When the reptiles aren't out, I like to sit there and read or talk on the phone and all 5 dogs will be either on me, or around me, or on me and the foot stool!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Everything looks great, Dave!!!
    I love the all black. I'm working towards going all black myself. If I accquire a new enclosure that's not black (like my neodesha) I make it black, hahhahaha.

Anyway, it looks great!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks
    Very nice!

What are the curtains on that one row of enclosures for? I'm assuming they are curtains anyway lol.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-17-2018),dakski (10-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Very nice!

What are the curtains on that one row of enclosures for? I'm assuming they are curtains anyway lol.
    Ahhhh, the curtains. Yeah, homemade curtain for Behira. When thinking food, she strikes at anything that moves, especially at night. The curtain is up so I can feed and interact with the other reptiles and not have her hurt her mouth/jaw, etc. nailing the acrylic.

Otherwise, and once rubbed with the hook, she is a total sweetheart. Just don't mess with her dinner!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (10-17-2018),Sonny1318 (12-27-2018)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast