Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

0 members and 2,813 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    As to lamps; heat lamps can be used on the screen of tanks, but not really with tubs. They can boost the ambient tempature and provide a hotspot if done right. However they do kill the humidty. Coupled with the fact tanks are already hard to maintain humidity in, it can be hard to sork with. And you don't want a light on 24/7 because it will stress out the BP and hurt its eyes.

If going with an overhead heat source though, a ceramic head emitter is generally better, as it puts out heat but not light. Unfortunately it still dries out the enclosure, so you will have to work extra hard to maintain humidity (misting multiple times a day, cover the screen top, bigger water bowl, get a humidifier for the room etc)

I have my BP in a tub and use a space heater to keep my room at 70f, and also use a heat pad. I'm not a huge fan of the tempature but I will sacrifice my comfort for my snake haha.

Thanks

Re: How do you keep the enclosure at a safe temp?

What about axolotls? They need a cooler temperature of water and they're pretty neat to watch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    What about axolotls? They need a cooler temperature of water and they're pretty neat to watch
    They're illegal to own where I live

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bedual For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't see this working for you, I'm sorry. Wearing ice packs is no way to live & the gap between what you need to make this work to keep a BP healthy & safe and your
    own personal need or preference for a cold room is just too big of a bridge to cross. And using a heat lamp & other methods of heating a snake enclosure is going to raise
    the temperature of your room...it's really a recipe for disaster, in my opinion. When you ask too much of heating equipment it becomes a safety issue. Wanting a pet and
    being the right owner for the animal are two very different things. You say that you "want my snake to be happy and warm" so obviously you know what they need & care about the welfare of the animal- I'm sorry to say that it's just not compatible under these conditions. I don't know how old you are now, but maybe in a few years, if your living arrangement changes and you have a room that is warm & safe, where a snake can be properly kept, that may be an option to look forward to. But please don't waste your money or risk the life of a pet snake by trying to do this now. It's both a health & safety issue for you AND any snake you'd get.
    Okay, thank you for the advice! Maybe I'm not suited to own one at the moment, but I think in the near future I will because I definitely need to get my heat tolerance up anyway. My family always tells me that I live in insane temperatures and that I should try to fix that. The highest I'm able to tolerate at the moment is around 75°and I'm told by my family that that's still way too low compared to what they can tolerate. I think this summer they're going to push me to my limits with this whole heat tolerance thing... So yeah, hopefully, that little push this summer will give me a way higher tolerance level (it gets up to the 100s where I live) and then I might finally be suited to own one! Wish me luck?
    Last edited by Bedual; 04-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I certainly do wish you luck! Still, BPs are a species that need some of the higher temps. among snakes. Other species would be a safer compromise
    and still great pets, you know.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bedual (04-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bavouyeir View Post
    Okay, thank you for the advice! Maybe I'm not suited to own one at the moment, but I think in the near future I will because I definitely need to get my heat tolerance up anyway. My family always tells me that I live in insane temperatures and that I should try to fix that. The highest I'm able to tolerate at the moment is around 75°and I'm told by my family that that's still way too low compared to what they can tolerate. I think this summer they're going to push me to my limits with this whole heat tolerance thing... So yeah, hopefully, that little push this summer will give me a way higher tolerance level (it gets up to the 100s where I live) and then I might finally be suited to own one! Wish me luck?
    Is there a medical reason you need lower temperatures? I've never heard of someone that feels hot like that

Thanks

Radiant heat panels don’t do much for raising ambient air temperatures. He would have to heat the room or use a ceramic heater on a thermostat

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    OP: Did you just change your user name?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom1987 View Post
    Radiant heat panels don’t do much for raising ambient air temperatures. He would have to heat the room or use a ceramic heater on a thermostat
    This is not true. RHP's do increase ambient temps, just not enough to overcome such a cold room. RHP's and CHE's work in a very similar manner with both emitting infrared heat. It is UTH's that do not increase ambient temperatures by more than maybe a degree or two, if at all.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bedual View Post
    Your power bills must be nuts, and how do you go outside at all? I live in a hot climate, high 90's in the summer, and you have to deal with the heat in order to do basic things like go to work or get groceries. When it's that hot there is just no escaping it. Cars take time to cool down, and you have to get out and got back and forth, you never really get cool. How do you manage??
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast