Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,979

1 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Humidity in VE-2 rack is too high - dry Reptichip to bring it down?

I have a VE-2 rack setup with ReptiChip and I'm having a hard time bringing the humidity down. Originally I know I over hydrated it but even after drying it out for a night with a fan and then mixing about 50% "unprepared" chip in with it, my humidity creeps up above 90% pretty quickly. Tonight I removed the substrate entirely (aside from a few pieces here and there) and only have a small water bowl and some hides in there and it is still running about 79-80% humidity. UTH is on a thermostat set to 90 and the water bowl is on the cool side. Ambient room temp is 71 and humidity is 45%. Humidity is being measured by two different digital hygrometers and they are agreeing within a few points of the humidity.

I'm considering putting unprepared ReptiChip in there to help bring the humidity down...is this worth trying and okay to do? I'd rather not start melting holes but I also would like to bring the humidity down soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: Humidity in VE-2 rack is too high - dry Reptichip to bring it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    I'm considering putting unprepared ReptiChip in there to help bring the humidity down...is this worth trying and okay to do? I'd rather not start melting holes but I also would like to bring the humidity down soon.
    I don't know about the dry Reptichip, but before I melted holes, I'd try increasing the ventilation in the room. Maybe use a floor fan.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-08-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: fixed typo for clarity
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: Humidity in VE-2 rack is too high - dry Reptichip to bring it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    ... I'd rather not start melting holes but I also would like to bring the humidity down soon.
    If you do end up "melting holes", be sure to do this outside (on a porch or in a garage) where the fumes will dissipate quickly. You don't want to breathe it, & you SURE don't want to sicken your snakes by exposing them to toxic fumes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)