Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,604

2 members and 1,602 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating Help

Thanks

Smile Heating Help

Hello everyone! I have 3 BPs and I understand heating requirements as far as there needs to be a cool side of around 78-82 and the hot side of around 88-92. I've generally seen that an ambient air temperature can be around 75-80, though I've heard different opinions on that point...

So when I first got my 2 BPs, I used 2 heat lamps, one a 60W and one a 75W for hot and cool sides. However, I didn't take the size of the tank (20g long) into consideration. If I left both lamps on for any amount of time without also kicking on the AC in my room, the ambient temps shot up to 100. Horrid and unhealthy!! Keeping the AC on keeps things nice and stable with proper cool and hot ends, but it's not practical to adjust the AC of my whole house for my snakes. So I asked around and was told that 2 lamps is ALWAYS overkill for a 20g since it's small. (My 2 snakes are still babies, but will be getting 40g breeders when they're bigger!!) I was also told that a thermostat will go a long way.

20 gallon set ups: So this morning I finally got my thermostats in the mail and I now have my 20g tanks set up like this: A single 75W bulb for the hot end with the thermostat set to 90. I literally just set these up so I'm waiting to see how temperatures even out across the tank. I'm hoping that there will be enough residual heat radiating to the other side to keep the cool side in the 78-82 range. If there is NOT enough heat on the cool side, I'm thinking this: Keep the 75W bulb, but unplug the thermostat from it (I've never had an issue with a single bulb overheating). Then I'll slap a UTH mat on the cool side and set it to 82 with the thermostat. Thoughts?

55 gallon set up:
    Now, for my most recently acquired BP.... she is an adult and she is CHONK. So I have her in a 55g tank, just acquired her. She came with a couple of UTH mats placed under her bigger hide (the other hide is woefully small and she can't fit her fat body in it- replacing that this evening). I literally just got her from a woman getting rid of her, so today I will be heading to the pet store for thermometers and humidity gauges to get an accurate reading. So since she's in a much bigger tank, I'm thinking it will be safe to use 2 bulbs... 50W for the cool side and 75W for the hot side, attaching a thermostat set to 90 to the 75W bulb. In this set up, I would be getting rid of the UTH. Thoughts?

**I don't like using UTH in place of bulbs because my humidity tends to get too high without bulbs-- around 70%. 50% is healthier from what I understand, which I achieve with bulbs.

I'm learning more and more about my lovelies every day and I appreciate any and all guidance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    UTH would effect the ambient air a lot less than all those bulbs. 70% humidity isn't really that high, but if you want to drop it some, just setup a little 10" fan near the enclosures.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Heating Help

Another thing you could do for your 20 gallon for temps aren’t high enough on the cool end, is to just shift the lamp a touch closer to the centre. This should increase your temps on the cool end, it’ll shift your hotspot to the cooler end a little but that should’ve be an issue.

Your 50 gallon sounds good. And you can have cool side temps as low as 75.

Ideal humidity for a bp is 60-65%. So having it at 70% would totally be okay. It’s better to be a little higher than a little lower. I’d say 50% is quite low. It isn’t terrible, but it’s not a good spot for shedding time.

I love using UTH because they’re getting belly heat while being able to remain under their hide, but you definitely can do heat bulbs instead. I have trouble with humidity which is why I use a UTH as well, and use an 60W heat bulb as ambient during the winter and fall seasons.
    Last edited by Faith.luu; 07-13-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks

Re: Heating Help

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    UTH would effect the ambient air a lot less than all those bulbs. 70% humidity isn't really that high, but if you want to drop it some, just setup a little 10" fan near the enclosures.
    That's a good idea! Thank you. One of my tanks seems to hold humidity much more than the rest, so I'll try that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    Another thing you could do for your 20 gallon for temps aren’t high enough on the cool end, is to just shift the lamp a touch closer to the centre. This should increase your temps on the cool end, it’ll shift your hotspot to the cooler end a little but that should’ve be an issue.

Your 50 gallon sounds good. And you can have cool side temps as low as 75.

Ideal humidity for a bp is 60-65%. So having it at 70% would totally be okay. It’s better to be a little higher than a little lower. I’d say 50% is quite low. It isn’t terrible, but it’s not a good spot for shedding time.

I love using UTH because they’re getting belly heat while being able to remain under their hide, but you definitely can do heat bulbs instead. I have trouble with humidity which is why I use a UTH as well, and use an 60W heat bulb as ambient during the winter and fall seasons.

I checked the temperatures when I got home last night and it looks like the 75w w/thermostats are keeping things in check perfectly! I did not know that about the humidity! I always thought it was 50%. The more you know!! Thank you for your help!

Thanks

Sounds like you have things pretty much figured out now which is great, but just wanted to jump in with a quick comment about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tytysi View Post
    Keep the 75W bulb, but unplug the thermostat from it (I've never had an issue with a single bulb overheating).
    I know you're currently using thermostats, but if anything changes I just wanted to emphasize to please make sure any heat sources are hooked up to a thermostat at all times! Thermostats are essential and probably the one piece of equipment that can mean the difference between life and death for your BP in a matter of hours. Even if your bulb doesn't overheat you don't know if there will be situations when the room temperature rises and when combined with the heat sources becomes too much for the BP, and crazy things can sometimes happen with unregulated heat sources. Always better safe than sorry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Sounds like you have things pretty much figured out now which is great, but just wanted to jump in with a quick comment about this:

I know you're currently using thermostats, but if anything changes I just wanted to emphasize to please make sure any heat sources are hooked up to a thermostat at all times! Thermostats are essential and probably the one piece of equipment that can mean the difference between life and death for your BP in a matter of hours. Even if your bulb doesn't overheat you don't know if there will be situations when the room temperature rises and when combined with the heat sources becomes too much for the BP, and crazy things can sometimes happen with unregulated heat sources. Always better safe than sorry

Thank you so much for the advice!! Especially in these summer months, I’d hate to risk anything. I’m going to get a couple of more thermostats just in case!! Also, I love your signature. Inspired me to draw one up myself!
    0.1 Normal [Artemis]
    0.1 Super Pastel [Persephone]
    1.0 Pastave [Chronos]
    1.0 Blizzard Leopard Gecko [Dimitri]
    1.1 Cats [Jesse McCree, Addison Sheppard]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tytysi For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-15-2020)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the advice!! Especially in these summer months, I’d hate to risk anything. I’m going to get a couple of more thermostats just in case!! Also, I love your signature. Inspired me to draw one up myself!
    Glad to hear that, it's always important to have thermostats on hand

Thank you, one of my best friends actually drew that for me for my birthday. She is a professional artist!

I adore the sweet pink cinnamon bun bally python art in your signature as well, it's so cute!! You are an amazing artist

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Glad to hear that, it's always important to have thermostats on hand

Thank you, one of my best friends actually drew that for me for my birthday. She is a professional artist!

I adore the sweet pink cinnamon bun bally python art in your signature as well, it's so cute!! You are an amazing artist

That is so cool!!!

Thank you!! I’m actually a tattoo artist but before I did that, I did a lot of digital commissions. ^^
    0.1 Normal [Artemis]
    0.1 Super Pastel [Persephone]
    1.0 Pastave [Chronos]
    1.0 Blizzard Leopard Gecko [Dimitri]
    1.1 Cats [Jesse McCree, Addison Sheppard]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tytysi For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-15-2020)

Thanks

That is so cool!!!

Thank you!! I’m actually a tattoo artist but before I did that, I did a lot of digital commissions. ^^
    Wow that's awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast