Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,206

2 members and 2,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Smile [Complete beginner] Wooden vivarium humidity problem

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting here and I'm super excited because I'll be buying my first snake ever

I bought all the needed supplies for the enclosure (bedding, hides, water dish, thermostat, CHE , hygrometer etc... )

Here are some pics

The only problem with my setup is that the humidity in the enclosure should be around 50/60% (even a little bit higher during the snake's shedding phase).

I just can't seem to reach that kind of humidity (it stays at about 40%)

I even tried putting 2 water dishes, spraying the bedding directly underneath the CHE with some water but still the humidity is still not high enough.

From what I've read online placing a UTH in a wooden vivarium is not recommended so that's why I chose a CHE instead

Some additional info:

• The bedding that I use is coco husk
    • The thermostat is set to 31°C (89.6°F)
    • The enclosure size (in centimetres) is 88.5 x 34 x 37 (L x W x H). In inches 34.8 x 13.4 x 14.5 (L x W x H)
    • When the CHE is turned off the humidity is at a good level (65%)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: [Complete beginner] Wooden vivarium humidity problem

Rather than fiddling with the humidity of the entire enclosure you could create a humid hide: Take a plastic container or box and cut a hole and then add moist substrate inside. Try to place it in the 'ideal temp' zone of your enclosure (80-82F). Ball pythons prefer snug hides--usually you start out small and then increase the size of the hides in relation to the size of the snake.

Also, it looks cool, but, make sure that skull decoration doesn't have sculpted closed loops that are small enough to catch your snake-if it does--modify it, or remove the decoration. We have seen many photos of ball pythons with their bodies trapped in various fish tank decorations...

Last edited by Lord Sorril; 11-18-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2021),EL-Ziggy (11-22-2020),Spicey (11-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Rather than fiddling with the humidity of the entire enclosure you could create a humid hide: Take a plastic container or box and cut a hole and then add moist substrate inside. Try to place it in the 'ideal temp' zone of your enclosure (80-82F). Ball pythons prefer snug hides--usually you start out small and then increase the size of the hides in relation to the size of the snake.

Also, it looks cool, but, make sure that skull decoration doesn't have sculpted closed loops that are small enough to catch your snake-if it does--modify it, or remove the decoration. We have seen many photos of ball pythons with their bodies trapped in various fish tank decorations...

Thank you for the tips!

That decoration is meant to be used as a hide for reptiles (at least that's how it's being marketed).
    I already filed down some of the edges as they were a bit too sharp for my taste.

Would sphagnum moss be an appropriate substrate for the box?

Also, wouldn't the snake prefer this humid hide over anything else?(Like his other hides)
    I'm afraid that it may cause some scale rot if it stays too much in there

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fdgo View Post
    Thank you for the tips!

That decoration is meant to be used as a hide for reptiles (at least that's how it's being marketed).
    I already filed down some of the edges as they were a bit too sharp for my taste.

Also, wouldn't the snake prefer this humid hide over anything else?(Like his other hides)
    Pretty much any inert substance that holds water works fine for a humid hide. I have used sphagnum moss without issue. Paper towels are good as well because they are easy to identify when they get dirty.

Scale rot is a concern if the snake does not have the option to dry out. If you find the snake living in the humid hide 24/7 then it might be time to examine your enclosure design.
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fdgo View Post
    Thank you for the tips!

Unless the enclosure is utterly bone dry, a ball python won't be seeking excess moisture all that much as they aren't rainforest dwellers (they hail from scrublands, savannahs, and forest edges). But that's what the humidity box is for for when they do have the desire to get their skin wet (especially when in shed, when mine was going through it he spent nearly 3 days straight in his). You'll nonetheless need to mist occasionally if levels get too low as some humidity is needed for them to breath properly and prevent a respiratory infection, but the enclosure shouldn't be drenched either.

And sphagnum moss is an excellent choice. Use it both as a substrate mixed in with coconut fiber and as the humidity box filling. Just ensure the moss in the box in particular is kept damp (but not waterlogged).

Thanks

I have Cypress and I also use Repti Bark.

the Repti Bark is terrible for holding humidity, but the cypress works pretty good. During shed I will just take a handful of sphagnum moss, soak it, ring it out and place it in a clump on the warm side. I still have to spray, but maybe 1x per day

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    I have Cypress and I also use Repti Bark.

the Repti Bark is terrible for holding humidity, but the cypress works pretty good. During shed I will just take a handful of sphagnum moss, soak it, ring it out and place it in a clump on the warm side. I still have to spray, but maybe 1x per day
    Orchid bark works well in controlling humidity levels in my experience ...

I’m sure someone told me that Repti bark is the same as orchid bark !?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro