Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,803

0 members and 2,803 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First time owner asking for clarification on a couple of topics

Hello everyone!

I'm a first time ball python owner (currently have a Mystic Crystal) and I've been doing a lot of research talking to breeders, forums and observing what people are talking about in Facebook groups, Reddit and such. I'm getting a lot of 50/50 advice from breeders and people who claim to be experts about a few topics and wanted to see if anyone can clear them up for me because in the long run, I want my snake to have the best life. Do ball pythons like climbing? I bought a couple of cork logs and my little guy would climb them at night nothing crazy just exploring here and there. I recently threw them away because after 3 weeks I saw some mold forming on the bottom. Is there anything I can purchase that preferably doesn't mold (if it's cleared up they don't mind climbing objects). Also, I want to clear up what size rat I should feed my BP. I fed him fuzzy rats when he was 200g, he's currently 215g and I think I might start him on rat pups. Should I follow the golden rule size of widest part of the body to size of rat? Or just 10-15% of his body weight..Lastly, how often do you guys handle your snakes? I've been handling him 3-4 times a week from anywhere to 5-20 minutes just hanging out on my bed. I just love the little guy but don't want to over handle him or stress him out or anything.

Thank you!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ball Pythons are ground dwellers, they can climb however since they are not arboreal they also fall a lot easier too.

As for feeding here you go

Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2019),JoeH2 (03-14-2019)

Registered User ShawarmaPoutine's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by ShawarmaPoutine; 03-13-2019 at 10:16 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ShawarmaPoutine For This Useful Post:

JoeH2 (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Ball pythons can & will climb a little but they aren't that good at it...their heavier shape doesn't lend itself to climbing the way rat snakes do, for example.
    You don't want to keep BPs in a tall cage & encourage them to climb anything high up, as they can get hurt falling, but low driftwood is fine, for example.
    Snakes naturally try to hang onto whatever they can for traction, so it may appear that they want to climb, but they are more comfortable near the ground.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JoeH2 (03-14-2019),JRLongton (03-14-2019),WhompingWillow (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: First time owner asking for clarification on a couple of topics

Ball pythons may climb a bit and cruise more frequently when young and relatively light, but as they grow they tend to turn into pet rocks. They are very much terrestrial animals.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2019),JoeH2 (03-14-2019),MissterDog (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    @ ShawarmaPoutine: I have to say that a ball python clutching onto something not even 1 foot tall doesn't make them semi-arboreal lol.

If one has kept actual semi-arboreal species like carpet pythons or scrub pythons, you'll know there is a VAST difference in their daily behavior. Ball pythons will slither over things and "climb" a bit when hunting, sure. But that doesn't make them arboreal more than saying a seal who climbs on shore sometimes makes them a land species.

To the OP: it doesn't hurt to provide ball pythons with branches though it's not required. Some ball pythons will come out at night and slither over them.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-14-2019 at 02:09 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2019),JoeH2 (03-14-2019),Kira (03-14-2019),MissterDog (03-14-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (03-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    @ ShawarmaPoutine: I have to say that a ball python clutching onto something not even 1 foot tall doesn't make them semi-arboreal lol.

If one has kept actual semi-arboreal species like carpet pythons or scrub pythons, you'll know there is a VAST difference in their daily behavior. Ball pythons will slither over things and "climb" a bit when hunting, sure. But that doesn't make them arboreal more than saying a dog who swims makes dogs an aquatic species lol.

To the OP: it doesn't hurt to provide ball pythons with branches though it's not required. Some ball pythons will come out at night and slither over them.
    1) nobody said anything about them needing to climb things over half a feet tall.
    2) nobody called them arboreal even semi-arboreal.
    3) nobody compared them to any kind of other snake that may it may not like to climb.
    4) even better, my response contained 0 words. It simply contained to pictures of exactly what was happening in time and space as this question was posed.

My comment is to be taken in unison to everything that had been said regarding to them occasionally climbing, etc. Which is literally what you directed towards OP, but I just did in 2000 words... I mean 2 pictures.

Good day sir.
    Last edited by ShawarmaPoutine; 03-14-2019 at 02:13 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ShawarmaPoutine For This Useful Post:

JoeH2 (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShawarmaPoutine View Post
    1) nobody said anything about them needing to climb things over half a feet tall.
    2) nobody called them arboreal even semi-arboreal.
    3) nobody compared them to any kind of other snake that may it may not like to climb.
    4) even better, my response contained 0 words. It simply contained to pictures of exactly what was happening in time and space as this question was posed.

My comment is to be taken in unison to everything that had been said regarding to them occasionally climbing, etc. Which is literally what you direct towards OP, just in pictures.

Good day sir.
    Actually Deborah said arboreal and I had assumed your photos response was to her, since it was the next post. I didn't mean anything by it to take personally, just that discussion about whether they're arboreal or not is surprisingly a common topic.

Also, I'm not a sir! Haha
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-14-2019 at 02:14 AM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

JoeH2 (03-14-2019),Kira (03-14-2019),MissterDog (03-14-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (03-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Actually Deborah said arboreal and I had assumed your photos response was to her, since it was the next post. I didn't mean anything by it, since it's actually a common topic.

Also, I'm not a sir! Haha
    I tease... I’m just procrastinating going to the gym at 2 am.

Also, I know not to disagree with Deborah.
    Last edited by ShawarmaPoutine; 03-14-2019 at 02:23 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ShawarmaPoutine For This Useful Post:

JoeH2 (03-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShawarmaPoutine View Post
    I tease... I’m just procrastinating going to the gym at 2 am.

Also, I know not to disagree with Deborah.
    How dare u post pics of your amazing and cute noodles!! Lol

and btw u can act like ur going to the gym and just go to Taco Bell...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

JoeH2 (03-14-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast