Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,200

0 members and 1,200 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Re: Panacur and Flagyy and Albon in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYPG View Post
    they're all sold in high concentrations right? How would I dilute them for use with reptiles?
    Yes they are high concentration. You should figure out how much of it would be needed to dose your reptile and then instead of diluting it, just inject that amount under the skin of a f/t feeder and give that to your snake. I would try to find one with the lowest possible concentration to make overdosing less likely.

If your snake only takes live then you would need to dilute it with some water and a little Carnivore Care to buffer it - that's what my vet did when one of my snakes needed meds for a GI problem - and that would be tube fed to the snake.

Also I wouldn't give both at once b/c if you kill off too any parasites then a bunch can clump together and cause a blockage (at least in horses it does). I would give one medication, wait for two bowel movements, then use the other.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Yes they are high concentration. You should figure out how much of it would be needed to dose your reptile and then instead of diluting it, just inject that amount under the skin of a f/t feeder and give that to your snake. I would try to find one with the lowest possible concentration to make overdosing less likely.

If your snake only takes live then you would need to dilute it with some water and a little Carnivore Care to buffer it - that's what my vet did when one of my snakes needed meds for a GI problem - and that would be tube fed to the snake.

Also I wouldn't give both at once b/c if you kill off too any parasites then a bunch can clump together and cause a blockage (at least in horses it does). I would give one medication, wait for two bowel movements, then use the other.
    Is it fine to buy the stuff meant for horses, dogs and cats?
    Honestly, I have no idea how I'd determine the proper amount. Without buying the book Deb mentioned, which I can't right now, I have no idea what the dosages are and what the treatment lengths are, and what intervals the treatments can be done at.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYPG View Post
    Is it fine to buy the stuff meant for horses, dogs and cats?
    Honestly, I have no idea how I'd determine the proper amount. Without buying the book Deb mentioned, which I can't right now, I have no idea what the dosages are and what the treatment lengths are, and what intervals the treatments can be done at.
    Its not about whether its for horses, dogs, cats, etc.

Its usually the same medicine, just in different formulations. And bigger doesn't always mean more to give.

For an example, the same exact medication I have can be given to dogs and horses. Previcox. I have the dog version, and one pill is for a dog the size of a German Shepherd. If you give it to a horse, you give 1/4 of a pill to a horse.

Yes, a fourth of what you give to a dog. For an animal that weighs about 20 times as much as the dog. Different animals metabolize medicines differently. That is why it is SO important to do this with a vet. I used to give all these medications to the rescue snakes I had, but its been so long, I cannot remember the dosages or formulations. I know they were given orally, though.

Try to find someone that imports WC Ball Pythons. There are still breeders that work with imports. They are the ones that should know exactly what and how much to give, they usually treat all incoming animals, before even checking them...

I can't believe your vet refuses to treat your snake. It makes NO sense to do a "wait and see". These kind of parasites and protozoans never just "go away" on their own, that makes absolutely ZERO sense. Especially if he is infested with all these different kinds. Hookworms will kill a snake. At the least leave longterm damage in the intestine. The more I think about it, this is just crazy. I can't understand that vet whatsoever.

Here is what you do. Ask that vet to give you the records so that you can take them to another vet. They cannot refuse you. You paid for those tests and it is your prerogative to change vets. Then take the records to another vet and explain to them what happened and that you cannot afford to go through everything again. Be prepared to at least pay for a fecal, though, which shouldn't cost much. The new vet will give you the meds needed, in the right formulation, and amounts. Probably be cheaper then buying the large quantities you would have to buy online.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Its not about whether its for horses, dogs, cats, etc.

Its usually the same medicine, just in different formulations. And bigger doesn't always mean more to give.

For an example, the same exact medication I have can be given to dogs and horses. Previcox. I have the dog version, and one pill is for a dog the size of a German Shepherd. If you give it to a horse, you give 1/4 of a pill to a horse.

Yes, a fourth of what you give to a dog. For an animal that weighs about 20 times as much as the dog. Different animals metabolize medicines differently. That is why it is SO important to do this with a vet. I used to give all these medications to the rescue snakes I had, but its been so long, I cannot remember the dosages or formulations. I know they were given orally, though.

Try to find someone that imports WC Ball Pythons. There are still breeders that work with imports. They are the ones that should know exactly what and how much to give, they usually treat all incoming animals, before even checking them...

I can't believe your vet refuses to treat your snake. It makes NO sense to do a "wait and see". These kind of parasites and protozoans never just "go away" on their own, that makes absolutely ZERO sense. Especially if he is infested with all these different kinds. Hookworms will kill a snake. At the least leave long term damage in the intestine. The more I think about it, this is just crazy. I can't understand that vet whatsoever.

Here is what you do. Ask that vet to give you the records so that you can take them to another vet. They cannot refuse you. You paid for those tests and it is your prerogative to change vets. Then take the records to another vet and explain to them what happened and that you cannot afford to go through everything again. Be prepared to at least pay for a fecal, though, which shouldn't cost much. The new vet will give you the meds needed, in the right formulation, and amounts. Probably be cheaper then buying the large quantities you would have to buy online.
    that's exactly why I am being so persistent in finding proper dosage information as well as treatment time and intervals between treatments. Because of the difference in metabolization between different species of animals.
    I understand your point of going to a vet but honestly, my experience with reptile vets here is that they are useless. They usually don't know much more than I do and I have already spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for absolutely NOTHING. It's really really irking me.
    And sadly they wont just want to do a fecal. I called the 2 "best" reptile vets within 50 miles and all of them want to see him, that's 100$ just to walk in, they want to examine him another 80$, a fecal that's 70$, and then meds could be anywhere from 30-50$ per vial. All of that ontop of the 200$ for the initial home visit by my vet and a fecal, plus another 73$ for another fecal that gave me the same results with no action taken by the vet.

At this point I'd just really rather do it myself and I wish there were better resources for people in my prediciment.
    Last edited by MikeYPG; 04-24-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Try to contact Ball Python Breeders, or go to facebook pages that breeders and importers hang around on.

Be sure to mention that you already tried the Vet route, and it has gotten you nowhere.

btw. its not such a bad thing to get a good basic microscope, some slides, and a few other basics and then go have fun with it As much fun as one can have with poop, LOL. You can do fecals on all your pets and your friends pets. Its fairly easy to do.

Some of the protozoans are harder to see/find, but once you get better at it...

As long as you don't "charge" your friends or make a business out of it, or claim to do veterinarian services, you are good to go.

I was going to do this, but I only have one horse. Horses are dewormed way to often, and its always better to do a fecal count before worming an animal.

The book Deborah recommended is a excellent starting point. One needs to understand what one is up against
    Last edited by zina10; 04-24-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12