Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,049

4 members and 3,045 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: 30 gallon enosure

I was think of getting the zoomed 16watt 8x12 UTH

What are your opinions on this specific UTH?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matty88 View Post
    I was think of getting the zoomed 16watt 8x12 UTH

What are your opinions on this specific UTH?
    I've had a number of these and as long as you have a reliable thermostat they work fine. If the sticky coating stops working (likely it will eventually) just secure back to the bottom of the enclosure with some aluminum tape.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I've had a number of these and as long as you have a reliable thermostat they work fine. If the sticky coating stops working (likely it will eventually) just secure back to the bottom of the enclosure with some aluminum tape.
    How thick of substrate will this penetrate, I will be using ecoearth mix with some forest floor.

I've also read heating pads are useless and CHE or RHP is all you need.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Thanks

How thick of substrate will this penetrate, I will be using ecoearth mix with some forest floor.

I've also read heating pads are useless and CHE or RHP is all you need.

Any thoughts? Advice?
    BPs will push substrate aside to get to the heat of UTH if they want it, you just don't want to go too overboard or you are going to be digging substrate out of the water bowl constantly. For BPs I would not use eco earth personally, because they don't like things humid enough for it to stay damp, and it's going to stick to f/t rodents like crazy and get ingested. I would go with straight forest floor, a coco bark product such as coco blox, or a combo of those. Coco bark has much bigger chunks than coco fiber so it doesn't stick to rodents as bad, and if it does, you can pull off a chunk a lot easier than tons of tiny fibers.

How well each type of heating element works has to do with your climate, enclosure style, and whether or not you have a dedicated reptile room kept at a stable temperature in the right range. In a glass enclosure, you are likely going to need UTH for hot spot, and either RHP or CHE for ambient. I would avoid CHE unless you live in a really humid climate, and even then, you have to get an expensive pulse proportional thermostat for it, not an on/off thermostat. I have a dedicated reptile room in the high 70s, no BPs in glass enclosures, so just UTH only works well for me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Matty88 (06-18-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    BPs will push substrate aside to get to the heat of UTH if they want it, you just don't want to go too overboard or you are going to be digging substrate out of the water bowl constantly. For BPs I would not use eco earth personally, because they don't like things humid enough for it to stay damp, and it's going to stick to f/t rodents like crazy and get ingested. I would go with straight forest floor, a coco bark product such as coco blox, or a combo of those. Coco bark has much bigger chunks than coco fiber so it doesn't stick to rodents as bad, and if it does, you can pull off a chunk a lot easier than tons of tiny fibers.

How well each type of heating element works has to do with your climate, enclosure style, and whether or not you have a dedicated reptile room kept at a stable temperature in the right range. In a glass enclosure, you are likely going to need UTH for hot spot, and either RHP or CHE for ambient. I would avoid CHE unless you live in a really humid climate, and even then, you have to get an expensive pulse proportional thermostat for it, not an on/off thermostat. I have a dedicated reptile room in the high 70s, no BPs in glass enclosures, so just UTH only works well for me.
    I will be using strictly forest floor , just ordered a 24qt bag.

Also I do not have a dedicated reptile room, I will be using CHE and I already have a pulse proportion thermostat so I will be using this in combo.

Right now I don't have my 1.0 Butter Fire OD ball python yet as I'm still in set up mode, will be getting him July 13th, he hatched Mai 31st so he's still not ready. But just with a 150w CHE and pulse proportion thermostat I've managed to get perfect temps, 90 hot spot, ambient of 84 on hot side and 81.3 on cool side.

All this without UTH and in a glass terrarium.

I will be adding substrate tomorrow so I'll be able to balance humidity and tweak it once it's in.

Thanks

I will be using strictly forest floor , just ordered a 24qt bag.

Also I do not have a dedicated reptile room, I will be using CHE and I already have a pulse proportion thermostat so I will be using this in combo.

Right now I don't have my 1.0 Butter Fire OD ball python yet as I'm still in set up mode, will be getting him July 13th, he hatched Mai 31st so he's still not ready. But just with a 150w CHE and pulse proportion thermostat I've managed to get perfect temps, 90 hot spot, ambient of 84 on hot side and 81.3 on cool side.

All this without UTH and in a glass terrarium.

I will be adding substrate tomorrow so I'll be able to balance humidity and tweak it once it's in.
    Awesome, sounds like you are doing everything right getting it all set up in advance so that you don't have to deal with weird temp swings with him in there. I bet he is gorgeous. Show us some pics after he gets all settled in

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Matty88 (06-18-2021)

Thanks

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/sho...mageuser=85796

Here he is, htch date 31may 2021, I don't have him yet

Thanks
    What a cutie! Absolutely incredible blushing on him and I bet you it's way prettier in person.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Matty88 (06-19-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123