Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,043

1 members and 2,042 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

First Timer: Wobble or normal?

Hello there. This is my first post. I am a new owner of 2 balls. A reptile expo just opened up out of the blue in my area. So I got myself 2 BPs and did all the research about proper husbandry and all. I live halfway accross the world from most of you guys and there is no spring, fall, or winter here. It is just summer all the time, and a seperate room for reptiles with ventilation and no Air Conditioner is naturally perfect for BPs. No breeders here use lamps, heaters, or anything.

Anyway. The first one I got was a Pastel YB female and she is a champ. She can eat mice, rats, wet or dry, sheds normally because she was born and kept here by the breeder. The second one is the problem, she is a Fire Pied that i got from another seller that sold more exotic BPs and he didnt tell me that he was NOT a breeder but he imported snakes from overseas and she was stressed when I got her, wouldnt hide, overly active, and wouldnt eat the first week. She is ok now but I notice that at around 7 pm when my 2 balls are exploring their encolosures, the Fire Pied would extend her body on the wall all they way to the top and then continued until her head is upside down. She doesnt turn her head upside down while on the ground (substrate) she just does this when she climbs to the ceiling and then continues on. The Pastel YB doesnt do this. I asked the seller if she is just fire pied to make sure there are no wobble genes. He sais she is just fire pied. So I am wondering if this is a stress-related wobble, neurological disorder, or normal?

Thanks
    Note: When I said wall, I meant the side of the eclosure. The fire pied would climb up all the way until her head is upside down

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: First Timer: Wobble or normal?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGpenguin View Post
    So I am wondering if this is a stress-related wobble, neurological disorder, or normal?
    I do have genes in my collection that are inherently known for Neuro traits (Spider-HGW), and yes, they will do this from time to time (especially if they get excited by the scent of rodents). However, if you put a new snake into an enclosure: odds are it will do this too to test out the boundaries of their new environment for a week or two. Of course if you notice this behavior persists over time...then I would surmise that they are either unhappy with your enclosure/conditions and/or may have an issue.

Also I see that you mentioned that no heating and no AC is required for your ball pythons? So your temps never go below 75F (23.8C), and never above 90F (32.2)? That would be really neat, where do you live?
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I am in Indonesia. ambient temp is 28-32 C all year long. I went to college in the US though like a decade ago.

Thanks
    Can a snake without spider, champagne, woma, etc develop a neuro condition though? I am worried because this is all new to me. But i have done as much research as i can online.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JAGpenguin View Post
    Can a snake without spider, champagne, woma, etc develop a neuro condition though? I am worried because this is all new to me. But i have done as much research as i can online.
    Yes, a dehydrated ball python exposed to high temperatures 32.8C+ (91F+) can potentially suffer heat stroke and develop neurological issues for the rest of its life.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    I always provide water everyday and temps are never that high. I ll check on her for the next couple of weeks to see if she still climbs up onto the top of her enclosure until her head is upside down. Thanks for the help. I ll let you know how she is in 1-2 weeks.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    This doesn't sound like neurological wobble, just muscle strain while she supports her front end and tries to climb out of the enclosure.

Thanks

Regarding any snake getting neurological damage, chemicals like some mite treatments misused can create a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    This doesn't sound like neurological wobble, just muscle strain while she supports her front end and tries to climb out of the enclosure.
    That's basically my view. The snake is supporting its body on the walls, it would be difficult to then twist its head all the way round so its not upside down when it then explores the ceiling. If its comfortable, why would it want to do otherwise.
    I have seen this before in many types of snakes exploring new environments.
    I would not worry, as long as it has the right conditions and environment and is not stressed it should settle.
    Also if its fine on the ground or not doing what used to be called as star gaseing on the ground it shouldn't be neurological.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-16-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    thanks for the help everybody. The Fire Pied seems to have adjusted to her new enclosure and destressed, she hides all the time now and not overly active reaching for the ceiling. But I have a mite problem with the Pastel YB. I will post on a different thread