Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,664

0 members and 1,664 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 55 of 81 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Re: Snakes and Stones

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Thanks, it was HOT! By the time we left it was noon and most people were sitting in the shade unable to move. Since you can be a mile away from your car lugging something you bought-it can be a bit exhausting for many visitors.
    That's for sure- sounds like a recipe for heat exhaustion & heat strokes. As a former desert dweller, I tend to take a canteen & snacks to things like that. Still can be a challenge though for the many unprepared in the heat.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's for sure- sounds like a recipe for heat exhaustion & heat strokes. As a former desert dweller, I tend to take a canteen & snacks to things like that. Still can be a challenge though for the many unprepared in the heat.
    Yep, sure is. I went to a flea market this morning and the 'regulars' had fully stocked coolers ready to brave the 97F temps (with humidity feels like 105F).

At 8AM in the morning in the shade it was already 85F.

Most of the time I don't see anything I want at flea markets, but, one vendor had some odds and ends rough stones.
    The largest of which was a black and white piece he called petrified wood.
    My eyes see Schorl (Black Tourmaline in Quartz), I asked some members of the 'Rock Tumbling Forums' what it actually is.
    Either way he sold me the piece very reasonably and tossed in a small piece of actual pet. wood for free.

Black Tourmaline in Quartz always pairs nicely with a Pastel Axanthic, although in this case the snakes color is much 'cleaner'.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 07-24-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2022),Erie_herps (08-16-2022),Homebody (07-24-2022),Kam (07-26-2022)

Thanks
    I can see why that stone attracted your attention. Flea markets & thrift stores are fun for me too- it's a treasure hunt. I'm glad the vendors there were prepared for the heat- it's dangerous if not.

I just did some yard trimming in the heat & high dew point without collapsing- it seems like my routine of swimming laps in this ongoing heat wave has done a good job of acclimating me-

Thanks
    Just finished browsing your thread; You have some very nice rocks there. And snakes. Now I want to go take a picture of a snake with rocks.
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Just finished browsing your thread; You have some very nice rocks there. And snakes. Now I want to go take a picture of a snake with rocks.
    The more, the merrier-

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Argentum (07-24-2022)

Thanks

I just did some yard trimming in the heat & high dew point without collapsing- it seems like my routine of swimming laps in this ongoing heat wave has done a good job of acclimating me-
    There are days I really wish I had a pool, and then there are days I remember when I used to clean pools for extra cash during the summer when I was young...and I think of all the work...and that time I opened a pool that had been sitting closed for two decades and my arms were covered with close to a hundred leeches...and nah...I will just sit next to my AC
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Thanks! You should post some pictures of snakes with rocks here! I am waiting for people to show off their amethyst cathedrals, geodes, crystal towers, scrying balls, fossils etc with their snakes.
    The more, the merrier-
    Definitely!
    *.* TNTC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2022)

Thanks

Breeding rodents for snake food is a constant ongoing project for my collection.

I have been using Doggy Bag Dog Food reliably for years now. Recently (as of this month) all the 'Tractor Supply Co.' stores in my area have stopped carrying it. They were unable to tell me if this was a supply chain issue or a choice. Management has been quite 'vocal' to me about the quality of the food for dogs (which is low). As I am using 50lbs. of food/week I figured I should source a new type of dog food before I deplete my inventory. In the event that TSC restores its supply of Doggy Bag food: At least I will have identified another option.

Before Doggy Bag Dog Food I was using Mazuri Rodent Lab Blocks, and prior to that: ProLab Rodent Blocks. All of these options worked perfectly fine. Last time I checked: Mazuri Lab Blocks in my area were close to 2X the price of Doggy Bag Food-and while I prefer them...I also prefer to save my money for other things. I did contact Mazuri directly at one point to try and negotiate an arrangement, but, the cost of hiring a delivery truck on a bulk order for a small-scale operation like mine-was prohibitive.
    So I am using:

I purchased two possible alternatives for evaluation from Tractor Supply Co:

While I am certain that both of these foods will work fine (aside from an 'adjustment' period):
    My primary concern with both of these: is the diameter of the chunks themselves. Will they be large enough to fit in the food hoppers, or will they fall through?
    I ran a quick test trying to sift out the smaller pieces:

It seems like overall 'Retriever' Brand Choice Chops is going to be my best alternate choice, but, I still hold out hope that my Tractor Supply stores will restore their inventory of Doggy Bag food.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 07-31-2022 at 12:00 PM.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    There are days I really wish I had a pool, and then there are days I remember when I used to clean pools for extra cash during the summer when I was young...and I think of all the work...and that time I opened a pool that had been sitting closed for two decades and my arms were covered with close to a hundred leeches...and nah...I will just sit next to my AC
    EW! It's not my own pool, but the town's (huge) pool that I swim laps in. I agree, I wouldn't care to maintain a pool for myself- yuk! Expensive & way too much work. Besides, swimming with others is a lot more fun, & even some of the lifeguards are pretty entertaining at times too.

I never imagined leeches in a pool, but I once looked at a house for sale that had an un-maintained backyard pool, & it was full of the cutest little froggies! Zillions of tadpoles all the way up to adult frogs looking back at me, just daring me to jump in. I passed on the opportunity. Besides, it would have taken me forever to relocate them all...

---------------

As for feeding rodents- I've used a couple other brands of rodent lab blocks in the past (subject to what was available where I lived), but never dog chow. I currently use Mazuri. I prefer to stick with food that's balanced specifically for rodents. But hey, I just discovered my mice enjoy bits of fresh tomato when I was cutting up some of my garden haul. They're usually such fussy eaters, I normally only give them bits of greens (kale), carrot or apple. Didn't expect they'd like tomatoes?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-31-2022 at 12:29 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (07-31-2022)

Thanks

I did take a few photos, but just put them in my Gallery. Since you requested them here...

My female Ultrafly, just after she shed, with a chunk of petrified wood and... I have no idea what the other rock is. Some kind of conglomerate, I assume, which I found interesting at a garage sale. It's quite round.

The petrified wood was dug out of the driveway of the feed store I used to buy hay at. I still have to cringe... the owner had a pothole, so he brought in a load of rock from his property to fill it. It was all petrified wood... and black obsidian. He had no idea what it was, let alone what obsidian would do to tires. It was hard to resist digging up his driveway for the petrified wood, but I did leave with one piece.

Male Banana Fire Bee, much more cooperative about being photographed generally. Just some spheres and eggs; Cherry Blossom Agate, Polychrome Jasper and an Amethyst.

Another of the Banana Fire Bee male. Just because I found it amusing to have him wrap up some eggs. Again, Cherry Blossom agate and Polychrome Jasper.

BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2022),Homebody (07-31-2022),Kam (08-01-2022),Lord Sorril (07-31-2022)

Thanks
    All are very beautiful, thank you Argentum. Now Lord Sorril won't have to work quite so hard.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Argentum (07-31-2022)

Page 55 of 81 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast