Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

3 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Registered User QuesadillaWizard's Avatar
    Thanks

Wink Shedding Woes (but not the kind you think)

Howdy howdy! I made my first post on here back in August (link) and wanted to thank everyone again for your warm welcome and awesome advice!

I've had a blast caring for my new python, Trinket! She's got an easy-going disposition, has lovely markings, and so far is a good eater (I know it's only a matter of time before she goes on strike.) What I bring you today is what I feel MUST be a common new snake owner woe. While my girl has shed beautifully two times since I got her, I have not been able to keep the skins.

This is because she always deposits them on top of a huge DUMP.

Does this ever stop? Will I ever get to keep a lovely milestone marker from my girl?

Thought you guys could use a laugh (but seriously, Trinket, please just give me one good skin I can frame).

I'd rather pick flowers instead of fights.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to QuesadillaWizard For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2020)

Thanks

Re: Shedding Woes (but not the kind you think)

I've had it happen a few times. But usually I'm lucky the poo is in one hide while the snake and shed are in the other one. I tend to damage the shed trying to unroll it so can't save most of them.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks
    Definitely does not happen every time, but as Gunkle said, unraveling them tends to cause damage.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Definitely does not happen every time, but as Gunkle said, unraveling them tends to cause damage.

Can misting the skins help them soften up enough to unroll, or does that just make them fall apart? Obviously I've never tried to get a shed off my KSB since he usually sheds in pieces, but I was wondering, just in case...
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Can misting the skins help them soften up enough to unroll, or does that just make them fall apart? Obviously I've never tried to get a shed off my KSB since he usually sheds in pieces, but I was wondering, just in case...
    I've kept & still keep quite a few snakes, & while some of them are neat-freaks (& leave their poo inside the fresh shed) I'm happy to report that NONE of them ever do this all the time or forever, so I'd say your chances of getting a keep-sake shed are pretty good. I've done programs & "meet & greets" with my snakes for years, so I save any good (clean) sheds to share, as people of all ages (not just kids) get a kick out of seeing & handling them. Even those afraid of snakes may start off curiously checking outjust the empty copy of a snake...

It's nice when you're fast on the scene of a fresh shed, as the moisture makes them pliable, but too often I find a tightly-rolled shed that's too dry to unroll; at that point, I've found that misting it actually does work. I have to be careful & work slow, but it's so cool to get them unrolled. Here's a tip: it helps the process to blow into the open mouth of the shed (don't put your lips on it, just hold open w/ fingers & blow INTO it); this helps to open up the shed so you can lay it flat to dry. Keep in mind that the shed skin has stretched some, so your snake is actually somewhat shorter than what the shed measures, but it's still cool to compare. I have tiny sheds from my current baby rat snakes & compared to their 6' & 7' parents, the difference is pretty amazing. The largest sheds I ever got were from the 7.5' BCI that I had for many years...hers were huge (over 8').
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-17-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

QuesadillaWizard (01-17-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My BPs pretty much never leave a salvageable shed. Like mentioned it's either accompanied by a poop, or it's all rolled up and tears when trying to unroll it.
    The only ones who leave a perfect one piece shed every time are my King and Hognose. And so far my Bredli is 1 for 1 leaving a perfect shed.