Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

1 members and 2,804 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

advice & tips needed for Lemonblast X Yellow belly

Hi , just wondering any one out there can help me I’ve decided to give breeding my Yellow belly X Lemon Blast. I have been putting them together since November in a tub , I didn’t see no Locks. And past 2 weeks I’ve put them in on a Friday and they have locked both weekends now , first time was for over 24 hours and this time it’s getting close to 48 hours they are still locked . I just wonder any advice what to do next and maybe what stage my female may be at . This all my first time doing this trying to gather as much info as poss

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Your snakes can lock any time of the year. Even immature snakes can lock. It does not guarantee anything.

If your female snake is mature enough to produce eggs...then question is: what stage of follicle development is she at currently? If she is in early development you might not see any change in behavior for at least 6 months. Then of course there is always the possibility she will reabsorb follicles as well.

Just food for thought
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

LEIGH_86 (01-05-2020),rufretic (01-05-2020)

Thanks

Re: advice & tips needed for Lemonblast X Yellow belly

ive Only had my Lemon Blast since March last year she was a cb16 the previous owner was having trouble feeding her Wouldn’t strike feed now she eats like a champ . She did bite me about week or so ago she’s a lot more alert these days when I go near her tank , and shes defo looking chunkier than normal . I’ve had my yellow belly for about 7 years he’s docile as they come . She is staying out of her hide a lot more than she normally does for past week or 2 .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

That's good info from Lord Sorril, just because you got two locks, that doesn't mean much. It is better than no locks though

Quote Originally Posted by LEIGH_86 View Post
    ive Only had my Lemon Blast since March last year she was a cb16 the previous owner was having trouble feeding her Wouldn’t strike feed now she eats like a champ . She did bite me about week or so ago she’s a lot more alert these days when I go near her tank , and shes defo looking chunkier than normal . I’ve had my yellow belly for about 7 years he’s docile as they come . She is staying out of her hide a lot more than she normally does for past week or 2 .
    Not really getting any signs of what stage based on that, just sounds like normal bp behaviour.

I begin pairing weekly in november until I witness a lock and then try to achieve one lock per month until I get eggs. Some of mine have locked year round and still don't give eggs. So don't get your hopes up just based on locks. If things go well, my girls will be locking monthly and most have laid by mid summer. So that's a lot of months locking but the key here is, if you don't have an ultrasound to tell you how big the follicles are, you're just going to be guessing what stage they are, it can take up to 8 months to build so just because they are locking doesn't mean you're close. Some signs to make your guess a little more accurate would be, in the beginning while building you will see them spending most of the time on the cool side, bowl wrapping and hopefully eating a lot. I notice some will lay belly up when you're getting closer but this is still in the building stage. Then if you're lucky enough for them to ovulate, they will get a noticeable swell in the back half of the body. Shortly after they will prelay shed. About 30 days later they will lay eggs. For that final month you'll notice they switch to the heat and spend most of their time on the hot spot in a perfect coil. They will no longer be interested in food or the male and don't tend to move much. Then once you're real close, you might catch them adjusting the eggs where they bend themselves in odd shapes, almost like a pretzel lol. Usually within a couple days after that I have eggs.

For now just keep feeding and try to get at least one lock per month. Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

LEIGH_86 (01-06-2020)

Thanks
    She was 1550g when I paired them , and I noticed she was looking huge 20th December so was thinking that was ovulation , I hadn’t seen any locks at this point the first lock I seen was on the 28th December and was for way over 24hours the 2nd Lock I seen was 4th January and this was for little over 24 hours and the last time I seen Lock was the 10th jan , but was only literally few hours . She had a good healthy shed on the 15th all in one and today she isn’t looking as big but is looking square’sh on the spine . She eats weekly with no problem still , tonight is her next feed . Last week she must of been trying stay cool wasn’t in hide much and would stay on cooler side . And another behaviour thing that happend was she bitten me hand when was changing the water bowl for her around the time noticed the ovulation if it was ? . This is as much info I have and I’m bit confused by it . My local pet shop has sorted me out with incubator and is up an staying steady just incase . I’ve been getting info from them and watched hours of videos etc. . If any one can make any sense from any of that and let me know what stage she could be at and is it worth pairing them again tmoz or Sunday once they eaten an settled

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Do you know how to palpate her?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Not really,I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube and tried a good few days ago. I used the tissue method meant be easier to feel that way I thought I felt several bumps but when I try every other day lately can’t tell as much of it is them I can feel . Can females absorb at anytime or is there a cut off point . I’ve tried putting them together again an don’t think there interested no more .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I'm not 100% certain about the readsorbing - but I think after ovulation whatever is inside should be coming out. Whether as fertile eggs or as slugs.

Also follicles ( before ovulation ) are easier to feel as they are fairly hard and distinct but after ovulation the shells and albumen start forming which is a lot more squidgy and harder to feel reliably as a consequence.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.