Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,454

0 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Be patient, these animals can be frustratingly finicky. But, they are awesome pets for those who are willing to be patient and work with them.
    I've had my new Borneo for over 3 weeks now and he's showed no interest in eating. Each time I adjust my technique a bit and hope for the best. Once he eats, I'll just keep doing whatever I did to achieve success and stick to it.
    Unfortunately, sometimes we just have to wait them out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Feeding help and what I have tried so far???

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Hopefully he will. But thats why i mentioned Pet Store reptiles not being so good. I know people that have this problem for years. So much so I see people get rid of them because its no longer enjoyable to play these games every month with a PITB snake (myself included) . Some snakes i think aren't bred from good genetics & just never become as domesticated (if you can even use that term with snakes) as breeders that only breed their best. To this day i cant believe the amount of nasty Ball Pythons and Burms now days. 20 years ago there wasnt a nasty Ball or Burm that i ever met.. Now they are striking out of the eggs. The funniest is the Retics. 20 years ago they couldn't be handled like a Burm could and today they are starting to be as docile as a puppy. (Mainland I'm talking about not these Dwarfs hybrids).
    I have often wondered if inbreeding was an issue at times? I am interested in breeding in the future and have a lot of reading to do and have my eye on a rack system but that is months away or even years. What are some good practices when choosing pairings for breeding? I know female's can also reject being breed. I have read several articles. Just want opinions on the practices that work and others that are bad to avoid them from people who have actual experience doing so. Should this be a separate thread?
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 01-22-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Be patient, these animals can be frustratingly finicky. But, they are awesome pets for those who are willing to be patient and work with them.
    I've had my new Borneo for over 3 weeks now and he's showed no interest in eating. Each time I adjust my technique a bit and hope for the best. Once he eats, I'll just keep doing whatever I did to achieve success and stick to it.
    Unfortunately, sometimes we just have to wait them out.
    Now that I have resolved the general care issues I was having, I am sure he will eventually eat. I have hope still.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-22-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Now that I have resolved the general care issues I was having, I am sure he will eventually eat. I have hope still.
    You're on the right track. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I have often wondered if inbreeding was an issue at times? I am interested in breeding in the future and have a lot of reading to do and have my eye on a rack system but that is months away or even years. What are some good practices when choosing pairings for breeding? I know female's can also reject being breed. I have read several articles. Just want opinions on the practices that work and others that are bad to avoid them from people who have actual experience doing so. Should this be a separate thread?
    I know nothing about breeding. No need to start a thread though.. There is more threads and info on that already in that sub forum than you could read in a year hahahha.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

So for about 2 hours last night Neo was traveling around his cage again and trying to find a way out of the lid. I checked his temps and humidity and they were all great. I opened the lid and he crawled right out on my arm and when I sat down he crawled around a few minuets more before settling down in my armpit. I double checked my temps with another thermometer and there were spot on. I put him back in the cage after 15 to 20 minuets and he settled in his hide on the cool side and was looking out. I offered him a ASF and he chomped on it right away. Up until now handling him the few times I had done so in the past was greeted with mild aggression showing fear more than comfort. Last night it seamed we bonded and he began to relax enough to eat. Is this strange or just incidental or he was just needing to get out of his cage and stretch his legs so to speak?
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 01-23-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congrats on your bonding experience as well as a successful feeding. That approach is certainly unconventional, but apparently it worked in that situation.

If it were my snake, I would hold off on handling completely and offer food again in 5 days. But, there are many ways to move forward and you may be beat to find what works best for you and your snake.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Congrats on your bonding experience as well as a successful feeding. That approach is certainly unconventional, but apparently it worked in that situation.

If it were my snake, I would hold off on handling completely and offer food again in 5 days. But, there are many ways to move forward and you may be beat to find what works best for you and your snake.

Good luck, keep us posted!
    Sure will. If he feeds again in 7 days I will breathe some what easier then. I also have my eye on a rack system that I think would be great. Shiva doesn't mind handling at all and she has adjusted well to her new home right away. She is younger by almost 5 months so her adjusting easier might be contributed to that. Happy Neo has eaten. Phu. Will take any advice anyone has to offer and want to learn as much as I can.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-23-2018)

Thanks

I need help with feeding my ball python.

About three weeks ago, I purchased a 4 month old banana ball python. He was raised on live mice up in until that point. I felt it would be easier to feed him frozen mice. So I skipped feeding him for a week and then attempted to feed him the thawed mouse. I used a heat lamp to warm it up before trying to feed him. He didn't take it. Two days ago I tried to feed him again, did the same process but I dipped it in chicken broth and tried to feed it to him, he still didn't take it. I'm getting a little worried, how long can they go without feeding. How do you suggest I feed him?

Thanks

You should try giving it live, it was raised on live up until you got it you should give it eating live before trying to switch it. How much does it weigh? What size are your feeders?

Can't hurt to post pictures and tell us about your setup, it's usually husbandry related.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast