Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 880

2 members and 878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Gram feeding charts - Boa and Corn Snake?

Hey guys,

Looking for a reliable feeding chart to follow that is in grams, as I weigh my snakes and keep track. Currently this is what I have going on:

Female Common Boa - 160g. Currently eating small adult mice. Should I switch her to rats yet?

Female Corn - 115g. Currently eating fuzzies/small mice depending on size. Is this appropriate?

Thanks!
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    It really depends on the size of the snake. I like to feed mice until the largest mouse is too small. I'd rather feed adult mice than underdeveloped rats just to feed rats. I'm srry I can't be of more help. I don't really weigh snakes or rodents.
    Last edited by cletus; 03-30-2020 at 06:37 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2020)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I don't go by weights for any of my snakes and BPs are the first species I've seen in my 20 years with feeding charts and gram feeder size guides.

I keep bps, boas, corns as well as some other species.
    I base food on the size of the feeder and size of the snake. I do not feed anything larger around than the thickest part of the body for majority of species.

if your boa is feeding on small adult mice, you can either keep going to large mice or switch over to a similar size rat, either is fine.
    A small adult mouse would be about the same size as a rat fuzzy or possibly small rat pup.

For many snakes, feeding frequency will have a larger impact than feeder size. With most snakes, slower spaced out feedings of appropriate sized prey is best IMO
    Your mileage may vary and there's no set 'one way is the right way'.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 03-30-2020 at 06:57 PM.
    For the Horde!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2020),dakski (03-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Gram feeding charts - Boa and Corn Snake?

Try to give the most mature prey item that's appropriately sized.

For Boas, less is more. I would stay on small adult mice until they don’t leave a noticeable lump and then move to adult mice. From adult mice I would move to rat pups. I generally don’t feed my boas more than 10% of their body weight in any meal and space out meals as they age. 10% is the max, so as they grow, and I stay on the same size prey for a bit, the % of body weight goes down.

Once on weaned rats or definitely small rats, I am feeding every 2 weeks.

Once on medium rats, I am feeding every 3 weeks.

Large rats, if necessary, every 3-4 weeks.

I do not like jumbo or XL mice or rats as they are fatty and Boas do not do well with that. Either speed up feeding intervals if need to, but probably isn’t necessary, or feeding multiple smaller prey items, which also probably isn’t necessary. Probably fed boas are lean and muscular.

For the corn, I feed younger snakes 10-13% of body weight, or an item that leaves a small lump for up to a day. Again, less is more, although corns stretch more than boas and will grow at 115G – 250G or so versus putting on too much fat.

At 115G, I would be feeding hoppers weekly.

Feel free to ask more questions. We are here to help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    For corns I normally suggest roughly following the Munson feeding plan.

copied from cornsnakes.com
    Sample Feeding Plan (Munson Plan)

-When the snake is on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
    -Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
    -Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
    -Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
    -Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
    -Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
    -Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Feeding based off of weight is not a great method, at least for boas imo. It's just too much food. I feed my boas based off of girth. Whatever feeder is roughly equal to or only slightly bigger than girth for babies, and equal to or smaller than girth for adults. This *usually* works out to 6-8% for babies and 2-6% for adults, but it really depends on what weight the snake and feeders are. Weights vary between both snakes and feeders, especially if you get into feeding different species. Some are denser than others.

That said, in general, I do not see a switch to weaned rats until my boas are 3' and a good 300+ grams. I skip jumbo mice due to fat content, so at that point, weaned rats are still a large-ish meal and leave more than a slightly noticeable lump. So I balance it out by bouncing back and forth between large mice and the weaned rats until the rats leave a barely noticeable lump. Usually takes 2-3 weaned rat feedings, so maybe 2 months or so.

Idk much about corns, but from what I've heard (of course this is hearsay) the weight method was developed to get breeder-sized snakes ASAP, and as such may not be the healthiest method for a pet, and I especially hesitate to try applying the same method to just any species as so many seem to be doing lately.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 03-30-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

I just don't know what to order in advance. I can't go in and look at anything and size it up to her girth, it's literally curbside pick up because of this virus. Gonna follow the advice here, thanks!
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: Gram feeding charts - Boa and Corn Snake?

Quote Originally Posted by hazzaram View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

I just don't know what to order in advance. I can't go in and look at anything and size it up to her girth, it's literally curbside pick up because of this virus. Gonna follow the advice here, thanks!
    Then I'd just stick with their current feeder sizes. The boa probably won't need to move up any time soon, and you could always double up for the corn.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")