Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,058

0 members and 3,058 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peeking in...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Peeking in...

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

Truthfully, this year is just brutal with the heat and humidity. And the pop up storms are crazy!
    For real. Seems like every day there’s a torrential downpour every afternoon just long enough to spike the humidity and make the heat feel unbearable. I’ll take these Mississippi summers over central New York winters anytime though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2019),zina10 (07-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    For real. Seems like every day there’s a torrential downpour every afternoon just long enough to spike the humidity and make the heat feel unbearable. I’ll take these Mississippi summers over central New York winters anytime though

Had another crazy downpour today while at the barn. Seemed to come on without a warning. The sky looked dark, but it does that almost every afternoon. It just came down hard while I had my horse tied and it spooked her because it seemed so violent. Huge fat drops just shooting down.

It didn't even barely cool it down, though. Afterward the sun came out and it got to be pretty much unbearable. I was standing in the shade while she grazed and I was having sweat rolling down my body nonstop, disgusting!

My horse also has "anhidrosis" which is the inability to sweat when the heat and humidity spikes. It can cause dangerous overheating.

So I'm constantly doing this (pics per game cam) :

trying to cool her down.

Also have fans running in her stall and installed a mister system in her paddock. Without all this I don't think she would still be alive. We have had heat indexes around 108 and 110. I can take "dry" heat but its the humidity that is killing me.

Even the beaches around here now have advisories for bacteria, the water is just to hot and everything around there is hot and wet, perfect breeding ground, yuck!

And of course now more and more storms are brewing, just hoping the hurricane season won't be as bad. Or the tornadoes. Which are now pretty much year round. Had our first on early February for crying out loud!

But enough complaining

On a better note, for the first time in my life I won something. I didn't expect to win, not in a million years. I don't even know why I bought the ticket. To prove to myself that I never win? I was bored ? ( I know, stupid thing to do...) People buy several tickets to up their chances to win, I bought one single one for $5 and promptly forgot about the whole thing. Until I got an email saying I won and I about had a heart attack, LOL.

Um, so I won a Bearded Dragon I admired on facebook.

I blame my nephew. He is crazy about them and while he was visiting I helped him with research, and to find a good breeder in Germany. Also joined some BD facebook groups to show him pictures.

After my sis and her family left, this beautiful colored dragon popped up on my news feed and it said "raffle, $5 per ticket".

I never win, but I know, I know. Murphy's law. But still, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

So my nephew who is as excited as can be is getting his dragon in Germany on thursday. A beautiful all white one.

Um, and I'm getting a Dragon on thursday here in the states. A beautiful yellow one. It's been a mad scramble to get all the supplies together since finding out I won!

So, why can't I win the lottery?
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-09-2019),Dianne (07-22-2019),jmcrook (07-08-2019),PghBall (07-10-2019),Reinz (07-11-2019),richardhind1972 (07-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Like this?

Truthfully, this year is just brutal with the heat and humidity. And the pop up storms are crazy!

Yup, exactly like that!!! Gorgeous picture, Zina!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (07-10-2019)

Thanks

Um, and I'm getting a Dragon on thursday here in the states. A beautiful yellow one. It's been a mad scramble to get all the supplies together since finding out I won!

So, why can't I win the lottery?
    You may have just cashed in your winner for the decade...but the next decade is just around the corner

My barber has an extra tank at the shop and occasionally brings his yellow bearded dragon in to work for the day...although I haven't seen him visiting on my recent haircut days. Looking forward to a pic of your new arrival

Bernie

XPLSV
    _____

1.1 Pokigron Surinam, Rio Bravo line
    Last edited by XPLSV; 07-11-2019 at 01:14 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to XPLSV For This Useful Post:

zina10 (07-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Congrats on winning a beardie, they're really cute & personable pets, though a little bit labor intensive (compared to snakes).
    I'm in the hot, humid soggy mid-South...so far this year we've had nearly 43" of rain, and our average yearly rainfall is about 45-46"!!! WT...?
    Horses are pretty awesome pals, but I don't envy you taking care of a horse in this weather. My solution is to swim all summer, but might not work with a horse?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

zina10 (07-14-2019)

Thanks
    We'll happily take some of that rain off your hands in AZ lol! So hot out our dog would rather stay in!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Burticus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Congrats on your win! That’s pretty cool that you and your nephew are getting BDs on the same day and across the globe from one another.

Sorry to hear about your horse with the anhidrosis. I can somewhat relate. I had some brain damage from a waterskiing crash off the jump ramp many years ago. For 30 years I didn’t sweat from the waist up. It was quite embarrassing in the business world whenever I came in from outside during the summer and my pants were drenched, but not my shirt. Now I sweat about half as much in the upper body.

Good to know that your horse has YOU as an owner. That must be a lot if extra work keeping her cool. Have you thought about buying her a swimming pool too ?
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2019),zina10 (07-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Congrats on your win! That’s pretty cool that you and your nephew are getting BDs on the same day and across the globe from one another.

Sorry to hear about your horse with the anhidrosis. I can somewhat relate. I had some brain damage from a waterskiing crash off the jump ramp many years ago. For 30 years I didn’t sweat from the waist up. It was quite embarrassing in the business world whenever I came in from outside during the summer and my pants were drenched, but not my shirt. Now I sweat about half as much in the upper body.

Good to know that your horse has YOU as an owner. That must be a lot if extra work keeping her cool. Have you thought about buying her a swimming pool too ?
    Hm. You may be on to something, LOL. But that might be a little out of the price range. So she will have to do with all the fans and the mister system I've installed.

I didn't realize that humans can get anhidrosis, but I guess its quite possible. How odd that you only got it in half of your body. It is still not 100% understood in the horse world but it seems to have to do with horses being in extreme heat AND humidity. So..often in the south east. The sweat glands just stop working when it gets hot and humid. Which it does half the year here. She sweats just fine in the winter.

So yes, I won a Beardie !! LOL. And yes, SO SO SO much more work then the snake OR a crested gecko. I already knew that, but its been so long that I had a beardie, I almost forgot..
    He sure is a funny one, though. 7 month old, 200 gr. Quite big already.

I would LOVE to live in AZ. I can take the dry heat all the day, its the humidity that gets to me. And Boger, yes, its not easy doing anything labor intensive in this intense heat/humidity. And there is a lot of hard work when it comes to horses. But she is worth it, her and I go together, LOL.
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2019),dakski (07-14-2019),Dianne (07-22-2019),Reinz (07-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

...I would LOVE to live in AZ. I can take the dry heat all the day, its the humidity that gets to me. And Boger, yes, its not easy doing anything labor intensive in this intense heat/humidity. And there is a lot of hard work when it comes to horses. But she is worth it, her and I go together, LOL.
    Seems every place has it's downsides...I sometimes miss the So. Calif. desert, dry heat & all, but no rain with wildfires & earthquakes. I wanted a change so I traded
    all that for plenty of precipitation, stifling humidity, ice storms & tornadoes... (oops!)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Seems every place has it's downsides...I sometimes miss the So. Calif. desert, dry heat & all, but no rain with wildfires & earthquakes. I wanted a change so I traded
    all that for plenty of precipitation, stifling humidity, ice storms & tornadoes... (oops!)
    Ok, I still want to move, though. I wish I could live in the mountains of Albuquerque. I even look at realtor.com and dream which house I would pick. Its beautiful there. I have always had a thing for WIDE OPEN spaces, endless blue skies, and the arid but gorgeous desert mountains. The sky must be gorgeous at night, can you imagine all those stars. Can you imaging driving down endless roads , looking over this gorgeous landscape.

I have never been a fan of wood areas, or wood covered mountains. To dark, to enclosed, to stifling. Like a horror movie. I love wide open, I love dry, I love dry heat. It doesn't have to be extremely hot, but I also def. don't want to go where it gets ice cold and snowing half the year.

So yeah, New Mexico sounds good to me.

These summers here in the south east are just miserable. Esp. for a person that loves to be outdoors. Between this hot heat and bugs, ugh. You can just stand around after doing a bit of work outside and you are absolutely drenched. Sweat just literally rolling down the body while resting in the shade. Its just terrible.

I lived in El Paso , TX for over a year. While the city itself is pretty terrible, I will never forget waking up and looking outside the window at those gorgeous mountains and endless, absolutely endless blue sky. It was like waking up in a beautiful dream. I think I belong in a landscape such as that..
    Zina

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2019),Dianne (07-22-2019)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast