Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

1 members and 2,877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question On Bringing Juvenile Up to "Ideal" Weight

Hi Everone!

We received my son's female BP in May and the breeder (XYZ Reptiles) said she was hatched Aug 21. When she arrived she was only around 150g and her weight was a concern given her stated age. I have been feeding her every 7 days around 10-15% of her weight (live mice and FT rats when she will take them). She is now approximately 1 year old but only 363g (as of this week).

My question is: some internet info recommends to continue feeding at this level until the BP reaches average weight (500g or so) but she is beginning to show signs of being slightly overweight. For instance, her tail area has a slight bulge rather than a taper and she has very slight skin rolls when curved. She still shows her spine but with less of a pronounced "V".

Should I keep feeding her on the same schedule until she gets closer to optimal weight or extend her feeding to every 10 days or so? Is she just a small snake for the breed?

I will post pics tomorrow for reference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I think we need some pictures to go with this question.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Question On Bringing Juvenile Up to "Ideal" Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Underverse View Post
    We received my son's female BP in May and the breeder (XYZ Reptiles) said she was hatched Aug 21. When she arrived she was only around 150g and her weight was a concern given her stated age. I have been feeding her every 7 days around 10-15% of her weight (live mice and FT rats when she will take them). She is now approximately 1 year old but only 363g (as of this week).

My question is: some internet info recommends to continue feeding at this level until the BP reaches average weight (500g or so) but she is beginning to show signs of being slightly overweight. For instance, her tail area has a slight bulge rather than a taper and she has very slight skin rolls when curved. She still shows her spine but with less of a pronounced "V".

Should I keep feeding her on the same schedule until she gets closer to optimal weight or extend her feeding to every 10 days or so? Is she just a small snake for the breed?
    I think the best way to judge whether your snake is a healthy weight is by its body condition. A snake with fat rolls and a bulge before its cloaca is overweight. You should use smaller feeders or feed less often.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

plateOfFlan (08-10-2022)

Thanks

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-10-2022),plateOfFlan (08-10-2022)

Thanks

Pictures would help a lot!
    My first snake was a very small runty twin so I feel your pain - it's super confusing when every feeding chart doesn't match up to what your snake actually weighs. My boy weighed around 230g at a year old, he wasn't skinny or anything, just small. He also can be a picky eater and likes to fast all winter which wasn't helping. I really wanted to try to rush him and stuff food into him to get him to "normal" size but as you've seen, rushing them just makes them chubby, and it's not good for their health. He turned 2 years old this year and I stopped weighing him after he hit 550g but he's perfectly normal size and weight now, he just needed to get there in his own time. Your girl will get there too - just remember her "ideal" weight may not be the normal "ideal" for awhile until her body catches up - I think they can only grow bone and length so fast.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2022),Homebody (08-10-2022)

Thanks

Finally got around to uploaded some pics. Sorry about the quality, I can't figure out the best way to upload them on the server. Thanks for all the replies so far! I have gone to 10 day feedings with med. live mouse and hope to get her on F/T weened rats in the next few weeks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chief Underverse For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Underverse View Post
    Finally got around to uploaded some pics. Sorry about the quality, I can't figure out the best way to upload them on the server. Thanks for all the replies so far! I have gone to 10 day feedings with med. live mouse and hope to get her on F/T weened rats in the next few weeks.

I agree with you that she's a little overweight. I think extending to 10 days between feedings would do her good.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Thanks plateOfFlan for the encouraging words! I have been worrying about Izabella's weight since she came home and I have learned to accept she doesn't match the "average" weight charts. Hindsight leads me to select another breeder rather than XYZ reptiles in the future since they didn't provide more info on our purchase regarding her weight and size compared to the average standards.

Thanks
    I think she looks a little underweight if anything, but I agree with plateOfFlan that she's probably just at an awkward phase of growth- they keep getting a bit longer so her width (weight) hasn't caught up yet. Not every snake grows at exactly the same pace- don't lose sleep over it, & remember they're healthier if they're a little underweight as opposed to being a little overweight.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Argentum (08-15-2022),GoingPostal (08-15-2022),Homebody (08-15-2022)