Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,822

1 members and 2,821 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Pre-lay shed

Thanks

Pre-lay shed

Hi , I’m proper new to the breeding, I got a female early last year and was told she was cb16 , I started putting her together with George . About October every other week for about 3 days and didn’t witness no locks ,so I started every week then end November / December I only witnessed my first lock 3 weeks ago was for over 24 hours and 2nd lock the weekend after for little longer than 24 hours . She looked huge other week aswell so thought she might of ovulated . I noticed yesterday she was going into shed mode so I put her back in with him and they only locked for couple hours this time . Could she still lay even though they locked so late . Thanks if any can make sense of my jibirish

Thanks
    Have you been keeping track of her weight, eating and behaviour? And the exact dates you saw locks and possible ovulation? It isn't possible to answer your question without that information. If you haven't been keeping track, I would immediately put a pause on breeding and do some research, as your question about the lock timing is a very basic one that I would expect a first time breeder to know the answer to before they even started pairing. No offence meant! Just wanting to make sure you're prepared, which is what's best for the animals and yourself.

Hopefully you have an incubator ready to go and thoroughly tested? Sometimes all it takes is once for a female to get pregnant (due to the length of time they can retain sperm) so if babies are coming, you've got to be ready for them! :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini Pythons For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (01-15-2020)

Thanks
    She was 1550g when I paired them , and I noticed she was looking huge 20th December so was thinking that was ovulation , I hadn’t seen any locks at this point the first lock I seen was on the 28th December and was for way over 24hours the 2nd Lock I seen was 4th January and this was for little over 24 hours and the last time I seen Lock was the 10th jan , but was only literally few hours . She had a good healthy shed on the 15th all in one and today she isn’t looking as big but is looking square’sh on the spine . She eats weekly with no problem still , tonight is her next feed . Last week she must of been trying stay cool wasn’t in hide much and would stay on cooler side . And another behaviour thing that happend was she bitten me hand when was changing the water bowl for her around the time noticed the ovulation if it was ? . This is as much info I have and I’m bit confused by it . My local pet shop has sorted me out with incubator and is up an staying steady just incase . I’ve been getting info from them and watched hours of videos etc. . If any one can make any sense from any of that and let me know what stage she could be at and is it worth pairing them again tmoz or Sunday once they eaten an settled

Thanks

Re: Pre-lay shed

If she is eating regularly, she may just be looking large because she is pigging out! Her shed cycle is the best way to keep track of ovulation if you aren't sure though. There is usually a pre-ovulation shed (but not always...) and a prelay shed. If she has two sheds a month apart and is heat seeking, that is a good sign that the second shed is a prelay shed.

I would keep watching videos and doing research! Honestly, nothing is a substitute for experience, but if you keep taking notes and making observations, you'll get there! If you haven't seen it already, the youtube channel Balls2u has multi-part videos on breeding that are super thorough and informative!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini Pythons For This Useful Post:

LEIGH_86 (01-18-2020)