Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

3 members and 3,012 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding Problems

So I'm new to ball pythons and snakes in general so when I tried to feed my brand new ball python last night she refused to take a f/t. I tried all the recommended tips on trying to get a new ball python to eat but all she did was strike at mouse but never took it. She is around 9 months old 140g and 14in so I know at this time in their lives they need to eat. So I'm probably gonna have to feed live right? Any tips on where to get live feeders or anything to help with my situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Feeding Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Spike4179 View Post
    So I'm new to ball pythons and snakes in general so when I tried to feed my brand new ball python last night she refused to take a f/t. I tried all the recommended tips on trying to get a new ball python to eat but all she did was strike at mouse but never took it. She is around 9 months old 140g and 14in so I know at this time in their lives they need to eat. So I'm probably gonna have to feed live right? Any tips on where to get live feeders or anything to help with my situation.
    Na .. certainly not at this stage .. imho
    Try this hairdryer trick a few times before giving up .

This method WORKS if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm continue until it's grabbed ...

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-12-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks

Re: Feeding Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Na .. certainly not at this stage .. imho
    Try this hairdryer trick a few times before giving up .

This method WORKS if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm continue until it's grabbed ...

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

Yeah I did everything that you said I didnt feed until night in a darkened room. I let the mouse dethaw inside the room on top of the enclosure. Then I heated up to about 100 degrees. Then I stuck the nose of the mouse into the hide she struck at it but didnt latch. I repeated the steps of heating it up with a hair dryer each time she would strike at it but never take it she struck at it at least 7 separate times until I got frustrated from exhaustion from the long day and gave up and just left it in the enclosure for the rest of the night.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Yeah I did everything that you said I didnt feed until night in a darkened room. I let the mouse dethaw inside the room on top of the enclosure. Then I heated up to about 100 degrees. Then I stuck the nose of the mouse into the hide she struck at it but didnt latch. I repeated the steps of heating it up with a hair dryer each time she would strike at it but never take it she struck at it at least 7 separate times until I got frustrated from exhaustion from the long day and gave up and just left it in the enclosure for the rest of the night.

I admit that’s kinda odd .. occasionally they refuse and are just not interested -not even a tongue flick.

When there’s interest they usually take . .. even if it takes a few attempts ..

Just to clarify .... some will ONLY strike and eat in dim / low light conditions .

Mine will only strike from UNDER their hide .... just means waiting until they’re settled under a hide for a while then dangle the warm mouse/rat at the hide entrance ... BOOM !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I admit that’s kinda odd .. occasionally they refuse and are just not interested -not even a tongue flick.

When there’s interest they usually take . .. even if it takes a few attempts ..

Just to clarify .... some will ONLY strike and eat in dim / low light conditions .

Mine will only strike from UNDER their hide .... just means waiting until they’re settled under a hide for a while then dangle the warm mouse/rat at the hide entrance ... BOOM !

Yeah I think I'll try one more time on f/t in about a week but if she doesnt take it after that then i think I'll have to try live

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    What was the snake eating before you brought it home?

Assuming the snake was eating F/T prey before you shouldn't need to try live yet. There are plenty of other variables that may be at play that we can work on first.

In order to help you we'll need more info. The more you tell us the better we can help you.

- what type/size enclosure is the snake in?
    - how are you heating the enclosure?
    - ARE YOUR HEAT SOURCES REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT?
    - what are your temps?
    - how and where are you measuring temps?
    - do you have at least 2 snug fitting hides?
    - what size prey are you offering?

Lastly, are you handling the snake at all?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    What was the snake eating before you brought it home?

Assuming the snake was eating F/T prey before you shouldn't need to try live yet. There are plenty of other variables that may be at play that we can work on first.

In order to help you we'll need more info. The more you tell us the better we can help you.

- what are your temps?

Lastly, are you handling the snake at all?
    Breeder said she was eating f/t before but the last feed she ate before coming to me was live because she refused it then too.
    30 gallon plastic tub
    Uth on one side
    Yes I'm using a thermostat
    - what are your temps?
    88-90 hot 10 degrees less cold. With humidity in low 60s.
    Measuring both ends with a temp gun
    Yes I have 3 one recommended by the breeder
    Offering small mouse.
    -are you handling the snake at all?
    Not handling at all yet. Only time I've been in her enclosure is to clean and do maintenance.

Banned
    Thanks

Breeder said she was eating f/t before but the last feed she ate before coming to me was live because she refused it then too.
    30 gallon plastic tub
    Uth on one side
    Yes I'm using a thermostat
    - what are your temps?
    88-90 hot 10 degrees less cold. With humidity in low 60s.
    Measuring both ends with a temp gun
    Yes I have 3 one recommended by the breeder
    Offering small mouse.
    -are you handling the snake at all?
    Not handling at all yet. Only time I've been in her enclosure is to clean and do maintenance.

Ok cool, sounds like you're off to a great start.

I would just be patient. Let the snake acclimate like you're doing. Offer every 7 days. It sounds like you're doing everything right as far as heating and offering the prey.

Sometimes they just need a little time. I wouldn't rush to feed live, as it may make it trickier to switch later on. Your snake has enough size that a few missed meals won't hurt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Ok cool, sounds like you're off to a great start.

I would just be patient. Let the snake acclimate like you're doing. Offer every 7 days. It sounds like you're doing everything right as far as heating and offering the prey.

Sometimes they just need a little time. I wouldn't rush to feed live, as it may make it trickier to switch later on. Your snake has enough size that a few missed meals won't hurt.
    Ok sounds great. Thanks for all the help

Banned
    Thanks

Ok sounds great. Thanks for all the help

My pleasure. Ask any questions you may have. We're happy to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast