Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

2 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Proud of my Enchi BP.

Well about 30 minutes ago, I offered my BP a frozen thawed small rat, and she took it! I tried about 8 months ago and it didn't work, but they were soggy.. The 2 small rats in the box that were F/T were actually almost twice as small as the live rats she has been eating.(still I only fed her 1, and it left a lump in belly. So that's good) Soooooo excited right now! No more lying to store employees and trying to convince them that I wasn't using the rodents for feeders. I have had her for a year, and every meal she has ever ate with me has been live. Well supervised, I might add. But even when supervised, she has taken small scratches and bites. They are not going to strike and coil perfect every time. And it would eat me up, when she got even the most super of minor scratches or bite. I was so paranoid that it would leave permanent markings and scars, but I was wrong. Her body is flawless as if she was eating f/T her whole life. But her prey is getting bigger, and these rats were making me very worried. I knew if I kept live feeding, she would eventually suffer a bite that wouldn't heal without leaving scars, and I want her to stay flawless. I need some advice, although I have been rambling, I gonna ask here, instead of beginning a new thread. Very much of a noob when it comes to F/T. And I had a couple issues. 1, the Ziploc bag it came in was not water proofed. So the rat got wet. Just nasty looking. Lol. 2. I used a hair dryer to dry the rat, but even on its highest setting, it seemed to be cooling the rat off. 3. Part of the skin of the tail slipped off, from the tongs... So basically, I wanna know, an efficient way of heating it, without it getting soaked, and with my ?herpistats?(giant tweezers, lol), do I dangle it by its tail, or grab the rat by the neck? Cuz with it hanging upside down, that's not a natural presentation. Sorry for the long thread. Hopefully you stayed tuned long enough to get to my questions. All replies are greatly appreciated!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Proud of my Enchi BP.

I've been putting them in my own zip lock bag in luke warm water for about 2 hours. Once they feel thawed I put them under my heat lamp until they hit around 100* and how you hold the rat will depend on your snake. My male will only eat so far if I put it down on his floor and leave him alone while my female I can just lift her hide up grab the rat by the tail and immediately she takes. But some you might have to grab by the back of the shoulders and make them walk around or just pretty much how your snake will take the rat the best. There is no specific way how you hold your rat as long as your ball is happy with the way you do it and eats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 pastel 100% het piebald
    0.1 pastel enchi 100% het clown

Thanks

I feed in a separate container, using the heat lamp sounds like a great idea, but I wouldn't want to trigger a feeding response before I'm able grab her to put her in her feeding bin. And I definitely have to invest in quality Ziploc bags. I paid 11.99 for 2 small rats, you would think the bags wouldn't have tiny holes in them!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Holy crap...ya I would except high quality for $6/rat that's rediculous. And ya I only use the heat lamp so it gets their attention lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 pastel 100% het piebald
    0.1 pastel enchi 100% het clown