Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,000

0 members and 3,000 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ventilation holes

I think the size and number of holes depends a lot on what size the tub is, as well as the humidity level where you live. I have a 32 gallon Sterilite tub for my juvenile BP and it has 12 holes on each long side and 6 on each short side. Each hole is about 0.4" across. This always keeps the humidity in the 60% range.

I personally prefer drilling over soldering but that's probably because I have the right tools to do so. A drill will definitely be more expensive than a $10 soldering iron but it never hurts to have one around. I like drilling more because it gives really clean holes that don't have any jagged edges like holes made by soldering irons do, and you can avoid the toxic fumes that are created from burning plastic.

Cracks in the plastic from drilling are caused by drilling incorrectly. First what you need to do is mark off where you want the holes to go in a zig-zag pattern like this:

Then you need to get a thick and flat block of wood (preferably at least 1 foot across). It needs to be thick enough that you can't drill through it by accident. Put the tub down on its side over the wood so that one of the places you marked to drill is over the center of the wood. Then you need to drill from the inside of the tub into the wood. Remember to hold down the drill button so that the drill head is moving when you pull it back out.

I hope this makes sense!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (10-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I think the size and number of holes depends a lot on what size the tub is, as well as the humidity level where you live. I have a 32 gallon Sterilite tub for my juvenile BP and it has 12 holes on each long side and 6 on each short side. Each hole is about 0.4" across. This always keeps the humidity in the 60% range.

I personally prefer drilling over soldering but that's probably because I have the right tools to do so. A drill will definitely be more expensive than a $10 soldering iron but it never hurts to have one around. I like drilling more because it gives really clean holes that don't have any jagged edges like holes made by soldering irons do, and you can avoid the toxic fumes that are created from burning plastic.

Cracks in the plastic from drilling are caused by drilling incorrectly. First what you need to do is mark off where you want the holes to go in a zig-zag pattern like this:

Then you need to get a thick and flat block of wood (preferably at least 1 foot across). It needs to be thick enough that you can't drill through it by accident. Put the tub down on its side over the wood so that one of the places you marked to drill is over the center of the wood. Then you need to drill from the inside of the tub into the wood. Remember to hold down the drill button so that the drill head is moving when you pull it back out.

I hope this makes sense!
    Yes this makes sense and is good advice. If u do melt holes of any kind I suggest going outside so the fumes don’t effect anything
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (10-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post

I hope this makes sense!
    I drilled mine and like you say even reaming the drill bit back and forth once in the whole helped make the holes smoother so I had less sanding to do on the edges.
    It's been a while since i did it (and the empty tub is sitting behind me with snake supplies in it) but I found if you push into the plastic with the drill running it helped, if you put it on the plastic and then start it will move around (unless you made some nail holes maybe). But I would hold the drill with 2 hands and get an adult to help stabilize the tub or maybe get inside it with your knees to hold it from moving around. Then run the drill and hit the plastic. But be careful above all.

And I did Bogertophis suggestion with the nail, but boy did it hurt when I held the nail. ( Just kidding ) I held the nail with a pliers, it actually worked pretty well if I remember right. I put scotch tape on some of the holes with the edges folded over for easy removal.
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 10-18-2019 at 11:54 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2019),Sophieg (10-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    I put scotch tape on some of the holes with the edges folded over for easy removal.
    Put a pic in my gallery of my old tub.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    ...And I did Bogertophis suggestion with the nail, but boy did it hurt when I held the nail. ( Just kidding ) I held the nail with a pliers, it actually worked pretty well if I remember right. I put scotch tape on some of the holes with the edges folded over for easy removal.
    I really didn't think anyone would try to hold a hot nail in their hands, but I'm glad you cleared that up.

Just wanted to add that when I melted holes in plastic, they were smooth, not rough as someone posted? I dunno what we did differently?

For best airflow in containers like this, remember that warm air rises & cooler (fresh) air is lower, so if you want better cross-ventilation you can make holes on one side that are lower than on the other side, where the air will rise up & out. And IMO it's easier to make a few more holes than you think you need than to have to come back again, & you can easily cover them (on the outside only) with a bit of tape, as also suggested above.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-18-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-18-2019),Sophieg (10-18-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12