Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,662

3 members and 2,659 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Re: My little pinstripe

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    I am sure it is. Haha. Too bad no one invented just taking blood to see. I heard they were working on something with sheds? Correct me if I am wrong. I thought I read that somewhere.
    I remember Brian Barcyk (I hope I spelled that right, probably not) talking about starting up a big project to sequence genomes somehow, and I think it was sheds he was trying to use. Not sure if he ever got that off the ground, but even if he had, it wouldn't work on new morphs. Basically what they do is take a ton of samples from many snakes to compare and try and figure out which gene causes what, so when the new one showed up in there they would have a hard time tying it to the actual morph without a lot of samples from a snake with that morph. Either way, I sure hope he has some luck getting that project going because it would be SO nice for testing BEL's to find out which extra things are in there, or telling apart Yellow Belly from Gravel without test breeding, not having to prove out hets, and lots more
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I remember Brian Barcyk (I hope I spelled that right, probably not) talking about starting up a big project to sequence genomes somehow, and I think it was sheds he was trying to use. Not sure if he ever got that off the ground, but even if he had, it wouldn't work on new morphs. Basically what they do is take a ton of samples from many snakes to compare and try and figure out which gene causes what, so when the new one showed up in there they would have a hard time tying it to the actual morph without a lot of samples from a snake with that morph. Either way, I sure hope he has some luck getting that project going because it would be SO nice for testing BEL's to find out which extra things are in there, or telling apart Yellow Belly from Gravel without test breeding, not having to prove out hets, and lots more
    That's probably where I heard the idea. I watch his videos sometimes. I was actually watching something the other day on patternless snakes. A Chris Hardwick video. I believe he talked about a sunset patternless that looks similar to my snake. But again, who knows. Guess I will never be sure. Some guy at an expo yesterday (know it all type) shot down everything I said about the snake. He insisted she was a cinnamon pinstripe. No picture I have seen of a cinny pin looks like my snake. 😂

Thanks
    She does look similar to a Cinnamon Pinstripe color wise and in the head but that would make it even more difficult to get all the dark pattern gone. It would have the absolute reverse effect, blowing up the pinstripes bigger, and whatever pattern removal is done the opposite direction, shrinking alien heads instead of what yours has making them so big and erasing the eyes to where you can't see the dark between.

Thanks

She does look similar to a Cinnamon Pinstripe color wise and in the head but that would make it even more difficult to get all the dark pattern gone. It would have the absolute reverse effect, blowing up the pinstripes bigger, and whatever pattern removal is done the opposite direction, shrinking alien heads instead of what yours has making them so big and erasing the eyes to where you can't see the dark between.
    That is what I was trying to tell that guy. Again I am no expert, but the cinny pins have an explosive amount of the little thin stripes. They also seem a little more ash color than reddish like my girl.

Thanks

Just throwing this out there because I'd like it to be so, but could there be mahogany in the mix?

That is a stunning looking animal and I already have an enchi pin here and soon to be in receipt of a pretty little mahogany with future projects in mind - so I would love this to have mahogany in there
    Last edited by Bleh; 10-24-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleh For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (10-24-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    Just throwing this out there because I'd like it to be so, but could there be mahogany in the mix?

That is a stunning looking animal and I already have an enchi pin here and soon to be in receipt of a pretty little mahogany with future projects in mind - so I would love this to have mahogany in there
    Hey, thanks for chiming in. And thanks for the compliment, or rather, she thanks you😉. I actually did look into the mahogany. Especially the Suma line. They seems darker than her. But who knows what else she has in her to mix that would make her look the way she looks. I wish I could figure it out. Only thing the breeder told me is her Dad produced Calico last year. But that wouldn't have anything to do with her darkness I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post

That's a really good guess and if it boils down to being a separate thing causing the pattern, Mahogany may be responsible for the color. Mahogany on it's own would widen the stripes though, just not nearly to the extent Cinnamon would. I kinda leaned away from the theory of it being TWO hidden morphs because it's unlikely, especially with the odds from the rest of the clutch, but not impossible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bleh (10-25-2021)

Thanks

That's a really good guess and if it boils down to being a separate thing causing the pattern, Mahogany may be responsible for the color. Mahogany on it's own would widen the stripes though, just not nearly to the extent Cinnamon would. I kinda leaned away from the theory of it being TWO hidden morphs because it's unlikely, especially with the odds from the rest of the clutch, but not impossible.
    That's an interesting take one it. I think by now if two morphs together caused something like what is going on with my snake, someone would've caught it by now. But then again, strangers things have happened.

Thanks
    So another question. Say I breed her in the future. Of course in a few years. What would I breed her with? A normal BP? Just to see what comes out of that? I originally bought her for our Bee het Clown, my Dad really likes the spinners. But if she has other things in there. I don't know now.

Thanks

So another question. Say I breed her in the future. Of course in a few years. What would I breed her with? A normal BP? Just to see what comes out of that? I originally bought her for our Bee het Clown, my Dad really likes the spinners. But if she has other things in there. I don't know now.
    If you are wanting to get to the bottom of what she has, the Bee is probably going to make it even harder to tell what's going on. You should do something you are passionate about so if it ends up being a fluke, you still get something cool and progress in a project you like.

If it were me, I'd try to stay away from breeding her with anything that had strong control of pattern. I'd pick a combo male so I can attempt to see the reaction what she has with other morphs. Some ideas of what morphs might be interesting to see if they are allelic or the reaction would be: Banana, GHI, Mahogany, YB, Pastel, or some BEL complex stuff. While breeding her to a Normal, you have more of a clean slate, the hatchlings will be tougher to sell, and I think you would be able to tell enough as long as the pattern isn't messed with badly, may be able to see even better because of a strong reaction with another morph making what it does less subtle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bleh (10-25-2021)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast