Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 749

4 members and 745 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Green Bush Rat vs Rough Green snake?

Green Bush Rat vs Rough Green snake?
    So I've been posting quite a bit lately with questions regarding my ball pythons and their set ups, but now I'm here with a new question!

I've always had a thing for green snakes.. I'd ideally love to get myself a green African house snake, but those are hard to come by and quite expensive (future dream). So I've narrowed it down to either a Green bush rat snake, or a Rough Green snake.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with either of these species? I'm leaning towards the rough greens, purely due to availability and their amazing colour. I'd ideally love to have something that is at least somewhat handleable though. I hear from some people that green bush rats can be quite nippy, and that rough greens should be purely display.. and then others who say the exact opposite of these things? Are both of these true? I'm not opposed to a nip here and there, but its good to know what I would potentially be getting myself into. Would a rough green snake warm up/tolerate occasional handling over time or is it just too stressful for them? Any first hand information regarding care, temperament/handleability would be great!

If there are any other green coloured (preferably colubrid) snakes that I should consider, by all means please let me know!
    Last edited by Mrr; 12-05-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks
    I’m no help with the two species you mention but if you haven’t already you should check out rhino rat snakes. They’re supposed to be pretty docile and easy to keep. Color wise, some lines are more turquoise than green but if you look at the parents you should be able to find the snake you want.
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks

Re: Green Bush Rat vs Rough Green snake?

Ooh, I hadn't thought of them. Thank you! I'll do some research.. They might be a better fit than either of these two

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    My adult Korean rat snake is about 5' long & dark green overall with yellow undersides. Bit of a hand-full though as snakes go...more like a racer, doesn't much
    enjoy handling & always wants to take off, will nip if too heavily restrained. But he's GREEN.

Sorry, no experience with the species you asked about.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-07-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)