Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

2 members and 3,423 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Shedding questions

Hey guys it's me and noodle again

He's been good, hiding as usual lol, I take him out once in a while and we just chill or go to the bar and you know, snake stuff...

Anyways my question is...

How often should he shed? A guy from the store told me he should shed every month or I should be worried, and it's been a month and a few days already and I don't see any changes on his skin, he just looks prettier to me :/

Any comments, advice, suggestions, anything is appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    They shed when they shed lol. Boople usually goes every 2 mo. If you increase food size you may see sooner. Every beep is different. How does his belly look? Normal or pinkish? Does he look a little duller or ashy as at all? Eyes clear? Usually first sign is a pinkish belly, followed by ashy or dull colored skin, then they go,in blue, then eyes clear and they shed out after. This can take anywhere from a week to two. 6-10 days average. Once you see then go dull up your humidity in the 70's.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-24-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    No reason to worry. And a perfect example of why you shouldn't believe just one source unless you know that source to be reputable. They shed when they need to shed, and there are variables which contribute to when they shed. They shed more often as juveniles because they are growing more quickly, but there is certainly no reason to worry if they don't shed every month. Just for reference, my juvenile boy, Tyson, has shed six times since I got him in January. Sheds were anywhere between 5 and 8 weeks apart and he is a perfectly healthy snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Mine gets an almost sunburn colored pink belly when he is about to shed. That might be the best thing to look out for aside from cloudy eyes. I would venture to guess the pet store guy had the best intentions but unless you aren't feeding them and stressing them out constantly, there is no reason at all to ever worry about shed frequency.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Mine's only four months old, and so far she sheds after 6 meals. Her belly's leaning towards pink now, and some of the scales inside her pattern are turning darker, so I know she's about a week, give or take a few days, from turning blue.

For her, that makes her sheds almost once a month, but like previously stated they shed more when tiny and depending of how often they're fed. For Mazikeen's first shed with me I didn't notice until she was already deep in blue, so it can take a shed or two before you start to notice the signs.

You might also notice some opaqueness of the scales around the sides when held at an angle, if that makes sense.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Sorry for the double-post, but I tried to edit my previous one to add pictures and apparently ran out of time lmao.

Here's some pics of the side-opaque thing from Maze's last shed cycle, to give you an example:

You might also notice the wrinkles on the sides when they turn, giving them a kind of "crunchy" look; Mazikeen only gets this when she's really, really close to blue, or already in blue. Crunchy.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

hector.4191 (09-24-2017),MissterDog (09-25-2017)

Thanks

Re: Shedding questions

Thank you all for the help! I'm just a novice dad that wants the best for noodle, i remember seeing a little pink on his belly so hopefully sometime soon he'll shed and it'll be perfect ( the first one wasn't ) I've been on top of everything to make sure he's in the best condition, and again, thank you so much idk what I would do without this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Shedding questions

I found this thread here that was very helpful for me when my little guy went through his first shed with me.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...edding-Process

It's also been just over 2 months since that shed, though he's also been hiding a lot the past couple weeks and I'm wondering if he's going to shed again soon. It will take some time to recognize their particular behaviors, I think.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depend on the animal younger individual shed more often then adults, and depend on the feeding frequency and prey size.

For example if a young animal is maintenance fed or underfed it will barely grow and not shed very often.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-28-2017)