Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Have you ever caught salmonella from your reptiles?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, despite having taken all efforts to prevent it.

1 0.69%
  • Yes, but I wasn't too careful about avoiding it in the first place.

1 0.69%
  • No, and I take all measures to make sure I never do.

32 22.07%
  • No... Even though I am not as careful about avoiding it as I could be.

111 76.55%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Salmonella. Have YOU caught it from your reptiles?

I've been seeing a lot of news articles and mentions lately of salmanella and the danger of exotic animals. We all know the risk is there. But I want to know how many have actually experienced salmonella poisoning from their reptiles?

I've only caught salmonella once, long before I ever had herps. Now that I do have reptiles, I've never caught it.

I currently have two snakes, three lizards, a bird, and a frog. The bird is 7 years old, and all the rest of the animals are between 1 and 3 years old. My boyfriend has been keeping reptiles and birds his whole life and has never caught it.

Now I won't say we are perfect with our care in preventing salmonella. We know the risk but...well, we get lazy. I've kissed my snake before, I've forgotten to wash my hands before eating after handling my reptiles. Most of the time we are good about it, but honestly we treat cleanliness with them and our hands like we do our dogs and cats..Sometimes we'll forget, unless we've been cleaning cages or something. We've been lucky in avoiding salmonella for sure I suppose. But how lucky?

I'm curious to know--the number of animals, how many years you've kept reptiles, if you ever caught salmonella from them, and how clean you are when it comes to preventing salmonella.

I know this is an extremely active forum, so I know a lot of people will be able to respond. I want to see some big numbers and percentages.

To be honest with all the bad press lately, we will be for sure being more careful about avoiding salmonella. We've just been a little bit lazy when it comes to our own health I suppose! Now we'll be better about it for sure.
    Last edited by purplemuffin; 12-20-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks
    Never had it. I it like 27 -28 years keeping reptiles and as a kid dealt a lot with turtles.
    BOAS
    1.0 Pastel Dream ghost poss 66% het sharp,1.2 Monstertail dh Sharp Sunglow,1.0 Monstertail het Sharp, 1.0 Hypo poss 50% het Albino 50% strip, 1.0 Mexican BCI, 0.1 Classic Columbia type, 0.1 Mexican BCI / Brazilian BCC cross, 0.1 Albino 25% Suriname cross, 0.1 Sharp 66% het anery, 1.1 66% poss Parahet, 0.1 arabesque poss jungle, 1.0 anery het sharp, 0.1 lemke/lucy pastel salmon 50% het anery 1.1 aney kenyan sand boa, 1.1 bullseye/pearl brb
    BALLS
    1.0 spider,1.0 fire, 1.0 ghost, 0.1 pastel, 0.1 pastel het ghost, 0.2 normal

Thanks

Re: Salmonella. Have YOU caught it from your reptiles?

I've never caught it. I've been kepping reptiles for 4 your years but catching them for years before that. I've been keeping birds for a couple of years now. Not once have i caught it.
    1.0 normal ball python
    0.1 normal ball python
    0.1 quaker parrot
    1.0 motley anery corn snake

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

You know what I wonder? If I ever DID catch salmonella...would I even know it came from one of the reptiles? I'd more likely assume it came from the chicken I'd prepared for dinner or some other source that is far more risky than our scaly pets.
    -- Judy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

decensored (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Good question! I don't know. I guess you would assume because maybe you caught it the day after a massive cleaning day?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    You know what I wonder? If I ever DID catch salmonella...would I even know it came from one of the reptiles? I'd more likely assume it came from the chicken I'd prepared for dinner or some other source that is far more risky than our scaly pets.
    I agree, ive had my snake for 5 years and haven't gotten it. If i were to get it I would suspect my mom's cooking before my snake lol
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Turtles under 4" were banned to have as pets, (unless for scientific research blah blah lol) because of the risk of salmonella. I've had tons of them for several years and have never gotten it yet. I still have several turtles and snakes right now and dont plan on getting it!
    [6.18 Ball Pythons ]

Clown, Champagne, Pied, Pastel Lesser, Enchi, Fire
    Albino, Bumble Bee, Pewter, Black Pastel, Lesser, Pastel Het Pied, 2 Mojaves, 2 Pastels Het OG, 2 Spiders, 3 Het Pieds, 3 Normals

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Under 4" is apparently the size turtle we like to put in our mouths. Over 4" has no appeal apparently, maybe because of the development of claws and that beak.

Angela

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aldebono View Post
    Under 4" is apparently the size turtle we like to put in our mouths. Over 4" has no appeal apparently, maybe because of the development of claws and that beak.
    Its actually because they're afraid kids will put them in their mouths
    [6.18 Ball Pythons ]

Clown, Champagne, Pied, Pastel Lesser, Enchi, Fire
    Albino, Bumble Bee, Pewter, Black Pastel, Lesser, Pastel Het Pied, 2 Mojaves, 2 Pastels Het OG, 2 Spiders, 3 Het Pieds, 3 Normals

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just don't tell them that they can "Nom" of the side of the shell

I haven't really been too careful about salmonella.

Ever have to siphon the turtle tank and get the water started the old fashion way? Sometimes the water gets in your mouth

Angela

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aldebono For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (12-27-2011),Markg6 (01-18-2012)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast