Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

1 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

a very nippy ball python

hey guys just wanted to ask a few things, so i own a ball python for about three months now she is in good shape and everything is good (never skips meal, poops on time, sheds on time, no stuck shed) but there is one problem she is very nippy once the head got close enough to my hand it will nip but she doesn't constrict whatsoever anyway not that i mind being nipped but i don't want to have a snake that will nip me everytime i take her out any opinions?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i'm assuming the snake is still young? i'd start here if you already haven't: JKR Pro Tips - Handling Aggressive Ball Python Hatchlings
    justin is the maaaan, so this video should help you address your handling from now on. just patience + work, patience + work, patience + work.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-23-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-22-2017),JodanOrNoDan (05-22-2017),Lizardlicks (05-22-2017),MCDanteXL (01-08-2020)

Thanks
    Just give it time. My snake was also very nippy but once he hit 500g he's never made an attempt to bite again. When they're small, they're more vulnerable so naturally they're very defensive. But after they've put on a good amount of weight, they'll mellow out a lot more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to silverbill For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-23-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    My girl Bean started out VERY defensive when I got her. Soon as the tub opened she was puffing, hissing and attempting to strike. The key is going slow and being consistent. It's perfectly fine to let them tag you, defensive bites really don't hurt at all, and they'll start to learn biting doesn't make you go away. Move slowly and calmly, pick the animal up with confidence, handle it long enough that it starts to give up and accept it's fate, then put it back. You're teaching it that being calm and peaceful is what gets the result they want, ie. giant squishy tree puts me down and goes away.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-23-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-22-2017)

Thanks

Re: a very nippy ball python

thank you all for the reply i really do hope she will mellow out (3 more years) when she reach adulthood but i have watched the video and all but it seems my snake react differently. She will nip even with the arm that handles her but i never hear her hiss or puff up its just a nip thats all. once she started licking and spinning around my arm (thought she relaxed a little) she nipped me again but sometimes she just falls asleep in my arm and constricting very loosely (dunno why) she even stick to my hand even when i put my hand in front of her hide and enclosure (yeah just stays there) even when the temps in her cage are much warmer than my cold hands. weird girl really
    Last edited by jodidelisio; 05-23-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jodidelisio View Post
    thank you all for the reply i really do hope she will mellow out (3 more years) when she reach adulthood but i have watched the video and all but it seems my snake react differently. She will nip even with the arm that handles her but i never hear her hiss or puff up its just a nip thats all. once she started licking and spinning around my arm (thought she relaxed a little) she nipped me again but sometimes she just falls asleep in my arm and constricting very loosely (dunno why) she even stick to my hand even when i put my hand in front of her hide and enclosure (yeah just stays there) even when the temps in her cage are much warmer than my cold hands. weird girl really
    Do use hand sanitizer? Also there are two good videos on YouTube all about handling nippers. One is from hlh reptiles https://youtu.be/f-TjNKrsQEQand the other is from Olympus Reptiles https://youtu.be/MHFlgkM2tTU.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmocken For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-23-2017)

Thanks

i will check it out! any way thank you for your help !!