Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,815

0 members and 2,815 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Pandora's Thread

Checked in on Pandora tonight and noticed that she had that slight whistle to her breathing, even though she wasn't being particularly active. She was actively crawling around her tub, but nothing particularly extreme. Not sure how I feel about that. She otherwise seems fine, but still...

Part of me wonders if a recent rise in humidity may have something to do with it. Her tub holds humidity a bit too well despite a plethora of ventilation holes; it had risen all the way to the 80% range tonight between ambient humidity and her water bowl! In case anyone's wondering, ambients are 81 F (warm side) to 78 F (cool side), with a hotspot that goes between 88-90 F on the floor of the tub and 85 F on top of the chips.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Any other concerning symptoms? I’ve noticed a slight whistle many a time from my Suriname and from a couple of my carpets, but no excessive saliva, bubbles, or wheezing or anything. She’s probably just a bit more talkative than others. Good on you for remaining attentive and keep us posted on any developments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

She's never showed any other concerning symptoms like the ones you described. I checked on her today and she seemed perfectly fine -- contently coiled under her paper towel roll, very bright, and no whistling to speak of. I'm probably overreacting a little, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A bit of late-night browsing through some of the older threads here uncovered this thread on carpet python noises. Apparently some past keepers have experienced similar whistling with their carpets. This response from Michael Pennell (!) was quite enlightening:

Quote Originally Posted by MPenn View Post
    In my experience, you normally get more of the whistling type noises from IJ's than any other carpet. I have heard it from small ones as well as heavier ones, but mostly from IJ's...
    ... so, I think you may be right in her just being more "talkative." Didn't know that was a thing with Papuans.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Alicia (05-15-2021),Bogertophis (05-13-2021),jmcrook (05-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    She's never showed any other concerning symptoms like the ones you described. I checked on her today and she seemed perfectly fine -- contently coiled under her paper towel roll, very bright, and no whistling to speak of. I'm probably overreacting a little, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A bit of late-night browsing through some of the older threads here uncovered this thread on carpet python noises. Apparently some past keepers have experienced similar whistling with their carpets. This response from Michael Pennell (!) was quite enlightening:

... so, I think you may be right in her just being more "talkative." Didn't know that was a thing with Papuans.
    Interesting. I’ve never kept Papuans, but I’d believe most things Michael has to say about the captive husbandry and breeding of Morelia. Two of my carpets are from him as a matter of fact. My Rockhampton female and my Brisbane male.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (05-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Interesting. I’ve never kept Papuans, but I’d believe most things Michael has to say about the captive husbandry and breeding of Morelia...
    My thoughts exactly. Part of me is tempted to message the Podfather himself and see what he thinks -- Eric's kept more than his fair share of Papuans, so if anyone else should know, he should.

Pandora was looking good tonight. She was "talkative," but otherwise looking good a few days after her meal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Alicia (05-15-2021),aurum (05-13-2021),Bogertophis (05-13-2021),dakski (05-13-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-13-2021),jmcrook (05-13-2021),nikkubus (06-07-2021)

Thanks

Mixed things up and let Pandora have a crawl about the floor today. She seemed to enjoy it! It was nice to see her straighten out all the way and get some exercise like that. She's just about as long as Kuzco, who is due to get an upgrade to a 4' this year. I'm thinking that she should get an upgrade at the same time. She's far more active than said boa brother, and would probably use all that space even more...

I did a bit of digging around the internet, and it sounds like many other people have carpets that are "vocal" in the same way as her. Apparently carpet morphology makes for noisier breathing (relative to boas), and some carpets are just vocal whenever they're out. Part of me is wondering if she's always been noisy like this and that I've only detected it now that she's got a little more size to her. I haven't measure her recently, but I feel as though she's put on a bit of size since she arrived home.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

aurum (05-20-2021),Bogertophis (05-20-2021),jmcrook (05-20-2021),nikkubus (06-07-2021)

Thanks

That second picture cracks me up. Caption should read “WHATTHEHELLWASTHAT?!?!”
    Glad the talkativeness seems to be only that. Mine all give me back talk to various extents as well. Part of the fun of species with interesting mannerisms.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (05-20-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    That second picture cracks me up. Caption should read “WHATTHEHELLWASTHAT?!?!”
    Glad the talkativeness seems to be only that. Mine all give me back talk to various extents as well. Part of the fun of species with interesting mannerisms.
    I mean, you're not far off. Her mood at the time was "what, Human? Waitwhatisthat, getyourphoneouttamyface!" Those big ol' baby bug eyes that make her look Perpetually Concerned whenever she looks at you straight on just complete the look.

Yeah, the wheezy/whistle thing seems to run the gamut among carpets. People have reported it in everything from Jungles to Murray Darlings (Inlands) to Bredli. The fact that other people have been through the same thing with their carpets makes me feel better. Supposedly carpets are more prone to making noise like this when they're in shed or approaching it, but I don't think that's the case here. It seems as though Pandora is just one of those opinionated and vocal individuals, which I'm down with. I'll take a vocal sassy baby over a nippy/bitey one any day.

Also yeah, definitely enjoying the carpet mannerisms so far! Pandora's that delightful bit of activity and something different that I was looking for. I'd be hard pressed to chose between adding another boa or carpet if I could only have one more. Let me tell 'ya, though: if that Inland female that Nick Mutton listed recently was up when I was waiting for Pandora to ship out, she'd probably be here too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-21-2021)

Thanks

Pandora's looking a little blue and is acting a bit cranky... could the first shed home be around the corner?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-07-2021),jmcrook (06-07-2021),nikkubus (06-07-2021)

Thanks

Yup, first shed home is on its way! What a way to close out her 90 day quarantine.

I thought she was looking a little pre-shed browned out last week. Kuzco -- the other snake in the house with black/very dark pigment -- gets similarly browned out when he starts heading into shed. It's almost like building of a new layer of skin gives them a full-body blush. Interesting.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-09-2021),Hugsplox (06-09-2021),jmcrook (06-09-2021)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast