Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

3 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Neurological Illnesses

What reptile sicknesses are there that can cause obvious neurological symptoms? I have recently had multiple crested geckos have shedding issues, develop neurological symptoms ( lack of balance, confusion, and pupils that are not dilating), then dying. I have had them in a separate room than my snakes. However today I noticed that one of my snakes have different sized pupils. She is still very responsive and active. However she didn’t strike at her food when offered. She just acted interested. Poisoning has crossed my mind more than once, however I have tried checked everything and other than the fact that I moved a couple months ago nothing has changed.* I have gone to one vet with no luck, but I will be going again tomorrow*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ReptileRant; 09-20-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your geckos. IBD (inclusion body disease) comes to mind, but I don't know if it affects lizards too, or how, if it does. I'm sure there's others too.

Try this: (skip down to "Diseases") https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/artic...tile-clinician
    And pay attention also to toxins.

Are you sure your BP hasn't always had pupils of a different size? And maybe you just never noticed? Do both pupils respond to a narrow-beam flashlight in a dark room, or to bright sunlight?

Exposure to excessive heat can also cause neurological damage, but I hardly think that ALL your animals would be affected- to me, that suggests something contagious, I'm sorry to say.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-20-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-21-2021),ReptileRant (09-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Neurological Illnesses

A few questions about your crested geckos.

1. Are all of these from the same breeder?
    2. What temps and humidity levels were/are they being kept at?
    3. What are you feeding and how often?
    4. Are your cresteds a special morph?
    5. How much are you handling?

Answer these for me and maybe we can help at least eliminate a few possibilities. To my knowledge, IBD isn't common or present at all in geckos but I don't have any experience with the disease myself, so won't say for sure that that's not a possibility. MBD however can present with what could appear to a newer keeper as neurological issues. With crested geckos stress can cause immune issues which can lead to all sorts of issues, dehydration or too much humidity can cause some of the issues you described as well. Lastly poison is a posibility for sure. We have a cleaning service come through once a month and unfortunatly I wasn't here to keep them out of my office where the animals are. I lost a crested gecko to cleaner, but fortunatly everyone else was fine.

At the end of the day if you're seeing similar symptoms in your snakes that you saw in your geckos, don't wait for us, a visit to a vet that specializes in reptiles may be called for.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2021),ReptileRant (09-21-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your geckos. IBD (inclusion body disease) comes to mind, but I don't know if it affects lizards too, or how, if it does. I'm sure there's others too.

Try this: (skip down to "Diseases") https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/artic...tile-clinician
    And pay attention also to toxins.

Are you sure your BP hasn't always had pupils of a different size? And maybe you just never noticed? Do both pupils respond to a narrow-beam flashlight in a dark room, or to bright sunlight?

Exposure to excessive heat can also cause neurological damage, but I hardly think that ALL your animals would be affected- to me, that suggests something contagious, I'm sorry to say.
    Hi thank you for the response. I am not sure that she hasn’t always had different sized pupils, but I think it’s unlikely. They both respond i think, but one stays much bigger. To my knowledge IBD doesn’t affect geckos, but I really don’t know what else could be wrong. I’ve been to one vet and have an appointment with a different clinic for the 28th. Hopefully I’ll get some answers. Thank you again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    A few questions about your crested geckos.

1. Are all of these from the same breeder?
    2. What temps and humidity levels were/are they being kept at?
    3. What are you feeding and how often?
    4. Are your cresteds a special morph?
    5. How much are you handling?

Answer these for me and maybe we can help at least eliminate a few possibilities. To my knowledge, IBD isn't common or present at all in geckos but I don't have any experience with the disease myself, so won't say for sure that that's not a possibility. MBD however can present with what could appear to a newer keeper as neurological issues. With crested geckos stress can cause immune issues which can lead to all sorts of issues, dehydration or too much humidity can cause some of the issues you described as well. Lastly poison is a posibility for sure. We have a cleaning service come through once a month and unfortunatly I wasn't here to keep them out of my office where the animals are. I lost a crested gecko to cleaner, but fortunatly everyone else was fine.

At the end of the day if you're seeing similar symptoms in your snakes that you saw in your geckos, don't wait for us, a visit to a vet that specializes in reptiles may be called for.
    1. I actually breed them. So, they all have the same dad. All babies are different ages and are having this problem suddenly and at the same time. So I personally would rule genetics out.

2. I mist sides of the cage 1-2 times a day. It dries between for a couple hours ( maybe 2-3). Temp is about 75° possibly as low as 73 and high as 77 at times.

3. Pangea Growth and Breeding. I replace food either everyday or every other day

4. No

5. Very little, maybe once every 1-2 weeks. Just when I’m trying to help them shed. I have found that if I let them sit in damp moss and then remove stuck shed with tweezers they don’t develop the numerological symptoms or die.

Two of my adults actually just had problems shedding as well. It was very easy to remove the remaining shed and they went back to normal. All geckos eat, gain weight, and stay hydrated until it’s time to shed. Then if I can’t get the stuck shed off they starve/ don’t drink, develop the neurological symptoms, and die.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReptileRant View Post
    1. I actually breed them. So, they all have the same dad. All babies are different ages and are having this problem suddenly and at the same time. So I personally would rule genetics out.

2. I mist sides of the cage 1-2 times a day. It dries between for a couple hours ( maybe 2-3). Temp is about 75° possibly as low as 73 and high as 77 at times.

3. Pangea Growth and Breeding. I replace food either everyday or every other day

4. No

5. Very little, maybe once every 1-2 weeks. Just when I’m trying to help them shed. I have found that if I let them sit in damp moss and then remove stuck shed with tweezers they don’t develop the numerological symptoms or die.

Two of my adults actually just had problems shedding as well. It was very easy to remove the remaining shed and they went back to normal. All geckos eat, gain weight, and stay hydrated until it’s time to shed. Then if I can’t get the stuck shed off they starve/ don’t drink, develop the neurological symptoms, and die.

That's odd, I've heard of them losing toes and tails because of stuck shed, but never developing the symptoms you're describing just from having a little stuck shed. If they're continuously having shedding issues, I would say there's a humidity problem, but based on your misting schedule I'm not sure how you could be having an issue with it.

From your answers I don't think that there's a husbandry issue, maybe something environmental? Especially considering this is happening to multiple animals at the same time. I know you said you've checked and nothing has changed other than the move, but how sure are you that some new cleaner or something at your new home isn't impacting them? I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this, and I hate not to have answers for you, but if it's not environmental I'm afraid I'm not sure what else it could be.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 09-21-2021 at 12:32 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2021),ReptileRant (09-23-2021)

Thanks

Hi thank you for the response. I am not sure that she hasn’t always had different sized pupils, but I think it’s unlikely. They both respond i think, but one stays much bigger. To my knowledge IBD doesn’t affect geckos, but I really don’t know what else could be wrong. I’ve been to one vet and have an appointment with a different clinic for the 28th. Hopefully I’ll get some answers. Thank you again.

It's not common, but I have seen a snake before that had unequal pupils- just a quirk from the time it was hatched- that's why I asked. And such "defects" are more common in morphs (inbred snakes). It's something you might have never noticed, unless really looking for it, & I suspect it's not related to whatever is troubling your geckos. I also don't think it hurts anything, though I'd think twice about breeding that snake in the future, especially to any snakes that might be even remotely related. Keep in mind that snakes don't always strike their prey- especially BPs, they're not always receptive to meals, but I'd be concerned if you continue to see any problems with her- in that case, it might be time to look deeper with an experienced vet. I wish you the best with all.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-21-2021 at 12:40 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ReptileRant (09-21-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's not common, but I have seen a snake before that had unequal pupils- just a quirk from the time it was hatched- that's why I asked. And such "defects" are more common in morphs (inbred snakes). It's something you might have never noticed, unless really looking for it, & I suspect it's not related to whatever is troubling your geckos. I also don't think it hurts anything, though I'd think twice about breeding that snake in the future, especially to any snakes that might be even remotely related. Keep in mind that snakes don't always strike their prey- especially BPs, they're not always receptive to meals, but I'd be concerned if you continue to see any problems with her- in that case, it might be time to look deeper with an experienced vet. I wish you the best with all.
    Thank you. I could see it being something genetic. I feel that her eyes may be a little bigger than a normal snakes eyes should be. It could be a form of bugged eyes. It is a common deformity in the super lesser morph. I feel like I would have noticed it before, but I could be wrong. I have a vet appt scheduled anyways, so she’ll be taken in and checked to be careful. Also yes, I have some snakes that will skip every other meal or even more, but in the 1+ years I’ve had her she has taken almost every meal ever offer. So, I feel like there could be something off. Who knows.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    That's odd, I've heard of them losing toes and tails because of stuck shed, but never developing the symptoms you're describing just from having a little stuck shed. If they're continuously having shedding issues, I would say there's a humidity problem, but based on your misting schedule I'm not sure how you could be having an issue with it.

From your answers I don't think that there's a husbandry issue, maybe something environmental? Especially considering this is happening to multiple animals at the same time. I know you said you've checked and nothing has changed other than the move, but how sure are you that some new cleaner or something at your new home isn't impacting them? I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this, and I hate not to have answers for you, but if it's not environmental I'm afraid I'm not sure what else it could be.
    Yes. I will continue to think about it, however as far as I know there shouldn’t be anything new. I’ve talked to many people and nobody else seems to know either. It’s been difficult, but hopefully this vet I’m going to next week will have an idea about what’s going on.

Thanks

Thank you. I could see it being something genetic. I feel that her eyes may be a little bigger than a normal snakes eyes should be. It could be a form of bugged eyes. It is a common deformity in the super lesser morph. I feel like I would have noticed it before, but I could be wrong. I have a vet appt scheduled anyways, so she’ll be taken in and checked to be careful. Also yes, I have some snakes that will skip every other meal or even more, but in the 1+ years I’ve had her she has taken almost every meal ever offer. So, I feel like there could be something off. Who knows.

Not me- I can't tell you for sure, so I'm glad you're following your "gut" to get them checked out anyway- it's worth the peace of mind.

Btw, I once had a w/c rat snake that had mismatched eyes that aimed differently, even though they were the same size. It's very hard to notice, because snake's eyes are located to the side, where we don't tend to see them both equally at once. So that's why I thought it a possibility in your snake's case- it wasn't something I noticed for a while either.

Please do share what your vet thinks after your visit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ReptileRant (09-23-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast