Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,776

0 members and 2,776 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Mice sizes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Mice sizes

Just wondering how many sizes of mouse should I expect to need for a hatchling corn as it ages?

Thanks

Re: Mice sizes

Start with pinkie, then double up on pinkies from what I read and the move on up. I havent moved past pinkies yet and mine is 3.5 or 4 months old.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You will go through all of them.

Pinkies
    Fuzzies
    Hoppers
    Weanlings
    Adults

How fast will depends on how fast he grows which is related to how well he feeds and whether or not the animal is fed appropriately.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2019),dakski (01-05-2019),Ditto (01-04-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You will go through all of them.

Pinkies
    Fuzzies
    Hoppers
    Weanlings
    Adults

How fast will depends on how fast he grows which is related to how well he feeds and whether or not the animal is fed appropriately.
    I'm planning on getting a good portion of my corn's food at the expo when I get it, how much of which sizes do you think I should get?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I never got an answer for my second question & I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight on how many different mouse sizes to get at the show? The show is this weekend & I'm getting a little antsy lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    I would only get what you currently need to feed for the next few months. You can't really stock up on the various sizes because they will get freezer burned. How old is your hatchling? Have you moved up to double pinkies yet? typically small mouse feeders will come in packs of 50 at the local shows. It will take you a while to burn through those.

Is it the hamburg show you are going to this weekend? I'm also going to it.
    Last edited by 67temp; 02-18-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I never got an answer for my second question & I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight on how many different mouse sizes to get at the show? The show is this weekend & I'm getting a little antsy lol!
    They grow slowly when they're on pinkies so it takes a while before they size up. Figure feeding 2 pinkies weekly for probably 2 months before you go to fuzzy mice
    (aka crews), & it will take probably 2 months of eating fuzzies before they would take anything more, but just double up on fuzzies for a while like you do with pinks,
    before going to hoppers. It's hard for us to answer this because we aren't seeing your snake...the actual size. You want to feed a f/t rodent that is NOT wider than
    the widest (un-fed) part of your snake's body, no matter what size they're eating. If you have some pinks (or whatever) left over when they are big enough to take
    larger, just feed them off (multiples per feeding). Adult corn snakes eat adult mice...but not jumbo mice (aka old breeder mice)...those are too big & too fatty. OK?

And as your corn snake grows up some & eats larger prey (hoppers & up) you want to lengthen the time between meals. Hatchlings eat weekly, but
    once on hoppers, gradually extend the time between meals (larger prey takes longer to digest & is more filling). Adult corns eat about every 2 weeks, or
    every 10 days in summer or if breeding (at the most).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2019 at 05:03 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    BTW, in case you're wondering, it's standard advice to only feed one prey item at a time. But in the case of pinks & fuzzies, they are very digestible so don't
    worry about doubling up as your narrow-bodied snake grows from one size to another. As long as they are fed one right after another they'll be digested ok.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-18-2019)