Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

2 members and 3,148 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I think you just are going to have to deal with these readings until you find a better solution. You have that acurite on what I am going to assume is the driest part of the tank on the bottom of it and on what looks like relatively dry substrate. Humidity can fluctuate by large amounts form one side to the other in these glass tanks so what might read 40% on one side could be 60% on the side with the damp moss.

I personally would not just have the moss out like that but in two open containers on opposite ends of the enclosure and the containers damp with the moss wet. This way the snake does not live on damp substrate but the moss will improve humid conditions. You still might have to mist the enclosure daily or every other day and the levels might not be where you want them but you might get them above 50%

This is also the reason why I believe that in many parts of North America, glass tanks are just a pain in the butt.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

The Night King (12-11-2017)

Thanks

Re: Temporary Humidity Solution?

Thanks SDA. I can't wait for my T10 from AP! I just emailed bob from PP and I think I'm going to have him upgrade the 60W RHP he recommended to the 80W. Someone in another thread said they have same setup and similar house conditions so they went with the 80w. It's only about $15 more I'll do the same.

The only thing about the AP cage is trying to figure out how I'm going to get him out. I feed him every 6 days, then wait a min. 48 hrs before handling. I take him out from above by taking the screen off then slowly lifting his hide and just picking him up..... and there has never been a problem. He spends most of his time in the pyramid hid with his head sticking out. Anytime I open the front he comes to attention almost lifting off the ground tracking my movements. I've only fed him from the front so maybe he's expecting food. For the record he has never hissed, or struck but I've never tried to take him out going straight at him. The T10 is a tad higher tank but not having reach in ability from the top is slightly concerning. Once he is out of the tank he is very relaxed and explorative.

When you say put moss in a container, do you mean like a small plastic cup or something? Seems like if I do I'll be putting less moss in the tank but I definitely get what your saying about not having the moss freely laying about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    It's not that bad. I have the equivalent in size form RBI and there is plenty of room to reach in. If you are hesitant you can always get a snake hook to help direct the head of the snake away from you.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Temporary Humidity Solution?

Run a humidifier on high in the room. Buy a evaporating humidifier model. If the room air is arid, it will suck all the moisture out of the tank air.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12