Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,766

2 members and 2,764 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Mission success?

I paired a couple of my ball pythons yesterday and I saw them in a lock this morning. When I went to clean out my female's tub this evening, I noticed 2 sperm plugs plastered to the paper towel substrate. (I can provide a photo if needed but I'm almost certain they were plugs)

If I saw them locked but I also found some plugs, should I count it as a successful lock?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Mission success?

Yes, count it.

"Sperm Plugs" are really hemipenile casts. They're the old shed skin, dead sperm (some live and dying sperm) and other, scent-laden secretions that collect inside the hemipenes. When the male everts, the casts pop out and adhere to the substrate and female. Ideally, the now-clean pene is functioning as it's supposed to. Should a hemipenile cast end up inside the female's cloaca, it likely functions as an irritant, and she'll flush it. The tendency of the casts to pop off so well when the pene comes out is also great for the sperm -- python sperm has to swim down the grooves on the outside of the pene on their own, any material left behind would seriously be in their way.

Real sperm plugs are used by other species, where the male is using a glob of live sperm to inseminate the female (or the female walks over to the plug after the male deposits it to inseminate herself with it, as with some amphibians . . . I cannot remember if I'd be correctly calling them newts or salamanders ). There's also a post-insemination plug used by male Garter Snakes as a way of keeping other males out.

I don't know if that helped, but, hopefully that was some nice pointless trivia for everyone

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

Brownspidey (12-07-2017),Ronniex2 (01-17-2018),Tila (12-07-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

WooHoo, awesomness.
    Now we wait for the eggs, keep us posted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptilius For This Useful Post:

Tila (12-07-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    Yes, count it.

"Sperm Plugs" are really hemipenile casts. They're the old shed skin, dead sperm (some live and dying sperm) and other, scent-laden secretions that collect inside the hemipenes. When the male everts, the casts pop out and adhere to the substrate and female. Ideally, the now-clean pene is functioning as it's supposed to. Should a hemipenile cast end up inside the female's cloaca, it likely functions as an irritant, and she'll flush it. The tendency of the casts to pop off so well when the pene comes out is also great for the sperm -- python sperm has to swim down the grooves on the outside of the pene on their own, any material left behind would seriously be in their way.

Real sperm plugs are used by other species, where the male is using a glob of live sperm to inseminate the female (or the female walks over to the plug after the male deposits it to inseminate herself with it, as with some amphibians . . . I cannot remember if I'd be correctly calling them newts or salamanders ). There's also a post-insemination plug used by male Garter Snakes as a way of keeping other males out.

I don't know if that helped, but, hopefully that was some nice pointless trivia for everyone
    Super helpful! Things you didn't know you didn't know...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-07-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    WooHoo, awesomness.
    Now we wait for the eggs, keep us posted.
    Sure. To set the stage: 3 breeding females; Buttercup, a cinna bee pastel; Onion, a pinstripe; and Rosemary, het ghost. For the males: Sage, black pastel het ghost; and Bach, possible spider pastave. He is interesting because I got him from someone as spider pastave since when he was bred to that person's female, offspring resulted that his previous owner was not expecting, hence the amended label. So we'll see, fingers crossed and sacrifices to the Odds Gods